Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>for those that have knowledge of ADD/ADHD
cheerfuldom 07:54 PM 02-07-2013
can you share with me your first hand experience of what this looks like in preschool age children? i have posted numerous times with issues on one of my daughters. she is very overwhelming to say the lease. i seem to be able to connect and direct with all the other children in care but really struggle with her and I am starting to think that it is possible she really does have something like ADD. I also know that the things that come up at home are also seen outside the home. I have read over a number of things online but would love to have some first hand experience. if you have any reliable books and online resources, please share!

**I will be looking into the free evaluation given in my local area and see what they say about her.
Kaddidle Care 08:29 PM 02-07-2013
My oldest is DX'd ADHD but I don't recall anything super crazy when he was that young. He wasn't tested until 4-5th grade and not diagnosed until 6th grade.

My youngest at age 4.. I was thinking he had ODD or Tourettes or something - he was very intense and hyper and annoyingly repetitious. He was my All or Nothing kid. Fortunately, he's a friendly, outgoing kid - does well at school and is good for other people. I still bang heads with him from time to time but he was the one that gave me the most trouble at that age and there's nothing off about him now. His Teachers tell me that he does not exhibit ADD/ADHD tendencies.

If you feel in your gut that something isn't quite right, it won't hurt to get her tested. The best part of the testing is the learning evaluation. This will help you a lot with what techniques you may need to use for her. We don't all learn the same. This is what I'm talking about:
http://www.learningrx.com/types-of-l...styles-faq.htm

My oldest is a Visual learner - in fact, I found out through evaluation that there was a slight problem with his auditory processing. If he reads it, he has it. Give him a Teacher/Professor that lectures and he's lost.

My youngest is an Auditory learner. When he has trouble with something he's reading I tell him to read it aloud. Once he hears it, he has it.

I'm a Kinesthetic Learner. I have to do it to learn it - hands on applications. I remember things by writing them down but not by reading or listening.
itlw8 06:23 AM 02-08-2013
Ds was in 4th grade when diagnosed. he is also LD so many of his problems were related to that but looking back the signs were all there. He is ADD so without the hyperactivity it was not a problem until he was older.

REally haveing a diagnosis at a young are really does not matter unless they are hyperactive . They can screen for it by observing and having teachers and care takers fill out observations. But there is no blood test.The only way to know for sure is to try meds and if they work. TA DA we have the problem.

You might research diet many have found that sugar, and dyes cause problems. That did not work for DS but now people think gluten and milk products contribute. As an adult DS is not willing to try yet to eliminate those.

He once told me it is like having 4 radio stations on in your head at the same time and all of them were not tuned in so had static. He said when he is on the meds he might have only two on but one comes in clearly. SO it did not cure all but made it easier.

Every child is different
ds was easily distracted BUT things like TV would suck him in and he would not hear you. trouble falling asleep and trouble waking up. I swear he would not hear a smoke alarm if he was sleeping. Homework was horrible it took HOURS.

I thought we were done with this but now dgs is having HUGE melt downs and dr thinks it is ADHD they tried meds and it is working

dgd ( other ds dd ) is definately and it is starting to get in the way in kindergarten not sure what the dr will decide there because she is doing better . But no where ready to sit at a desk in first grade.
itlw8 06:38 AM 02-08-2013
sorry your question was about preschool children. Those are usually the ones that are ADHD you really see the hyperactivity. Not normal 3 yr old energy. They find them climbing ladders to the roof, into EVERYTHING like empty the fridge on the floor everything.

dgs goes into this dark hole when he throws a fit.

So yes it is normally the hyperactivity you see in a preschooler. It is like they can not help themselves.
cheerfuldom 07:07 AM 02-08-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
sorry your question was about preschool children. Those are usually the ones that are ADHD you really see the hyperactivity. Not normal 3 yr old energy. They find them climbing ladders to the roof, into EVERYTHING like empty the fridge on the floor everything.

dgs goes into this dark hole when he throws a fit.

So yes it is normally the hyperactivity you see in a preschooler. It is like they can not help themselves.
this is what i am seeing. her tantrums are unbelievable! its not all the time but once she gets going it is out of control. i have seen a lot of tantrums from other kids but nothing like hers. its hysterical (i mean literally, not as in I am making a joke)

she is also very, very, did I say very? hyperactive. she really does need one on one attention which of course is not going to happen at home ever with three siblings plus daycare kids.

it has always been a struggle but i really need help with her. i dont know what to try. everything that works with other kids is like 50% at best with her. to me, thats the biggest indicator.
Kaddidle Care 08:50 AM 02-08-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
You might research diet many have found that sugar, and dyes cause problems. That did not work for DS but now people think gluten and milk products contribute.
Yes this! Keep a food diary and take note of the meltdown days and what was eaten that day.

While my oldest is not allergic, we have found peanut products exacerbate his symptoms.

I have recently noticed that peanut products also make me more irritable.

The crazy thing is - the thing that will bring on the symptoms is usually something they crave. With my son it was Peanut Butter Captain Crunch! LOL

Keep the foods as simple and natural as possible.
cheerfuldom 09:54 AM 02-08-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Yes this! Keep a food diary and take note of the meltdown days and what was eaten that day.

While my oldest is not allergic, we have found peanut products exacerbate his symptoms.

I have recently noticed that peanut products also make me more irritable.

The crazy thing is - the thing that will bring on the symptoms is usually something they crave. With my son it was Peanut Butter Captain Crunch! LOL

Keep the foods as simple and natural as possible.
we have definitely tried to take that approach but a full out food diary could help. we do very, very little prepackaged foods. i dont even do much canned items at this point. she is a good eater and almost all of it is fresh fruit/veggies plus meat (baked, broiled, etc....not fried). i do not give her sugary cereal. this morning she had toast, eggs, fresh fruit.

but we do have a dairy issue already with her. she is still on lactose free.
Reply Up