Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher DCK - Ugh. Why?
KDC 10:25 AM 05-31-2013
So, I have a little DCB - 3. I've had him since he's been 6 months old. When I took them on I did NOT charge anything for summers (no holding fee, nothing). I have since changed the rule, but not for them - I grandfathered them in, he's full-time and they've always paid on time, etc.

So this past week, DCD lost his job. He had a 'whatever' attitude about it and said how great it was that he was let go at the start of the summer. Now he and his teacher wife would have some quality time with their kids. He was in no hurry to find a job, he said come August if he hadn't found something by then, he'd start looking full-time.

I have NOT received an end date from them. They pay monthly and paid up for May, but not June. DCM comes at me yesterday and says... so what's the deal with the last day? As you know DCD was laid off, and money is tight. (Which is funny, because DCD said he was looking forward to a summer off and wasn't worried at all about finding a job? hmmm?) I said, um... there's been NO communication on your end for an stop date. I was waiting for you to communicate that date to me, so I could budget. She says " well 'other DCM' works in the same district, so I assumed you knew when school was out" ??? I said well, she's scheduled until the third week in June, is that when you'd like to stop? She said, "Oh, I guess she keeps working - This Thursday is our last day". She left it as maybe we could compromise with 1/2 days... I didn't agree, DCK was getting out of control and she left.

My questions, what am I supposed to do with this. They're generally pretty good. He's my only full-time guaranteed next year. This is where I don't want to be the passive aggressive person - have a backbone. I was caught off guard and didn't really respond they way I wanted to - I was wishy washy and didn't really go with an answer. I want to talk to her today with a smile and just state, the end date needed to be communicated clearly by them. Since this was not done, I would ask they pay up until Friday. Does that sound good? BTW, I require a 2 week notice according to the contract, but after 2 years of them giving correct notice, I'm willing to cut them a break this year. I guess at any point I could've asked what their last day was. I knew it was approaching, so I need to take some responsibility for this as well.

Does this sound fair?

I've also been avoiding a discussion with another teacher mom. They signed on in January of this year, and told them I couldn't do a whole summer off unpaid, that I required 2 days a week during the summer to hold their spot for the following year. They agreed and signed the contract. Well, Mom just recently became pregnant with #2. She's due November 25th. He is still full-time and I haven't received a date to go part-time as of yet. I'm worried she will terminate care for summer since, it's unlikely she'll find a teaching position pregnant next year. I'm thinking that she'll be taking a year off =( Guess I need to put on my big girl pants and just bite the bullet and ask. There is a drought in summer for daycare calls She's made no attempt to ask me about caring for the newborn next year, so I assume something's up. huh. Just when life was good, curve balls...
MarinaVanessa 10:40 AM 05-31-2013
As far as the first child goes, DCD told you he was laid off and that he was glad about it and did not voice any concerns with you whatsoever and up until now neither did DCM. If they have always been good about giving you proper notice before and paying up front then I'd require them to continue to stick to the policy and give a 2 weeks notice. They KNOW it is required already.

Don't make a client's financial issues your issues. They could have easily given you their notice for summer as soon as DCD found out that he was laid off but they chose not to. So sad, too bad.

As for the second child, I would definitely ask DCM about what her plans are. The last thing you need is to wait and then find out that she stays home with both kids leaving you scrambling to fill that spot as well. She technically doesn't have to notify you of anything other than to give you a 2 week notice but that doesn't mean that you can't ask her what she plans to do.
TheGoodLife 10:45 AM 05-31-2013
Originally Posted by KDC:
So, I have a little DCB - 3. I've had him since he's been 6 months old. When I took them on I did NOT charge anything for summers (no holding fee, nothing). I have since changed the rule, but not for them - I grandfathered them in, he's full-time and they've always paid on time, etc.

So this past week, DCD lost his job. He had a 'whatever' attitude about it and said how great it was that he was let go at the start of the summer. Now he and his teacher wife would have some quality time with their kids. He was in no hurry to find a job, he said come August if he hadn't found something by then, he'd start looking full-time.

I have NOT received an end date from them. They pay monthly and paid up for May, but not June. DCM comes at me yesterday and says... so what's the deal with the last day? As you know DCD was laid off, and money is tight. (Which is funny, because DCD said he was looking forward to a summer off and wasn't worried at all about finding a job? hmmm?) I said, um... there's been NO communication on your end for an stop date. I was waiting for you to communicate that date to me, so I could budget. She says " well 'other DCM' works in the same district, so I assumed you knew when school was out" ??? I said well, she's scheduled until the third week in June, is that when you'd like to stop? She said, "Oh, I guess she keeps working - This Thursday is our last day". She left it as maybe we could compromise with 1/2 days... I didn't agree, DCK was getting out of control and she left.

My questions, what am I supposed to do with this. They're generally pretty good. He's my only full-time guaranteed next year. This is where I don't want to be the passive aggressive person - have a backbone. I was caught off guard and didn't really respond they way I wanted to - I was wishy washy and didn't really go with an answer. I want to talk to her today with a smile and just state, the end date needed to be communicated clearly by them. Since this was not done, I would ask they pay up until Friday. Does that sound good? BTW, I require a 2 week notice according to the contract, but after 2 years of them giving correct notice, I'm willing to cut them a break this year. I guess at any point I could've asked what their last day was. I knew it was approaching, so I need to take some responsibility for this as well.

Does this sound fair?

I've also been avoiding a discussion with another teacher mom. They signed on in January of this year, and told them I couldn't do a whole summer off unpaid, that I required 2 days a week during the summer to hold their spot for the following year. They agreed and signed the contract. Well, Mom just recently became pregnant with #2. She's due November 25th. He is still full-time and I haven't received a date to go part-time as of yet. I'm worried she will terminate care for summer since, it's unlikely she'll find a teaching position pregnant next year. I'm thinking that she'll be taking a year off =( Guess I need to put on my big girl pants and just bite the bullet and ask. There is a drought in summer for daycare calls She's made no attempt to ask me about caring for the newborn next year, so I assume something's up. huh. Just when life was good, curve balls...
I agree, I would ask DCM #2 what her plans are- I've actually seen quite a few very pregnant women get hired as new teachers, so it can happen (schools, being so female-dominant, are usually better with working with pregnancies and such)!
e.j. 04:11 PM 05-31-2013
Originally Posted by KDC:
I want to talk to her today with a smile and just state, the end date needed to be communicated clearly by them. Since this was not done, I would ask they pay up until Friday. Does that sound good? BTW, I require a 2 week notice according to the contract, but after 2 years of them giving correct notice, I'm willing to cut them a break this year. I guess at any point I could've asked what their last day was. I knew it was approaching, so I need to take some responsibility for this as well.

Does this sound fair?
I think it's more than fair. If you're policy is for parents to give a 2-week notice, though, I'd say you're certainly entitled to demand that, though. If dcd can afford to take the summer off, he should be able to afford to pay you what you're owed.

I'd speak with the second dcm to discuss her plans so you're not caught off-guard when/if she leaves, too.
DaisyMamma 07:04 AM 06-03-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
As far as the first child goes, DCD told you he was laid off and that he was glad about it and did not voice any concerns with you whatsoever and up until now neither did DCM. If they have always been good about giving you proper notice before and paying up front then I'd require them to continue to stick to the policy and give a 2 weeks notice. They KNOW it is required already.

Don't make a client's financial issues your issues. They could have easily given you their notice for summer as soon as DCD found out that he was laid off but they chose not to. So sad, too bad.

As for the second child, I would definitely ask DCM about what her plans are. The last thing you need is to wait and then find out that she stays home with both kids leaving you scrambling to fill that spot as well. She technically doesn't have to notify you of anything other than to give you a 2 week notice but that doesn't mean that you can't ask her what she plans to do.
I agree. She is using the excuse of Dcd being out of work and money being tight in order to manipulate you into agreeing to not enforce the two week notice. Its not your problem but is trying to make it your problem. Why should you be out of income because they are being irresponsible?
Just my opinion. I too, find it hard to enforce policies sometimes when its a family who rarely ever goes against policy.
wdmmom 07:51 AM 06-03-2013
Teachers have until May 1 to inform me when the last day their child will be in care and if any care will be needed over the summer. I have a 2 week deposit that I continually roll over each year. They are also required to pay my vacation time over the summer by the child's last day of attendance.

I wouldn't let DCM off that easily. She needs to give you at least a 2 week notice and/or 2 weeks worth of wages to compensate for not telling you when a final day would be.

I would send her home with a copy of your new contract and tell her that if DCB will be coming back in August, you need a 2 week deposit to hold his spot.
Tags:backbone, payment - delayed, payment issues
Reply Up