Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Puking
cara041083 07:03 AM 07-07-2014
If a child pukes while at daycare, do you call for pickup the first time, or do you wait and see if it happens again?
NoMoreJuice! 07:04 AM 07-07-2014
First time! Right away!
craftymissbeth 07:18 AM 07-07-2014
First time. No exceptions.
midaycare 07:24 AM 07-07-2014
Nothing quite like the smell of puke ... I hope s/he made it to the bathroom for you. First time. And I would want to know, as a parent.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
If a child pukes while at daycare, do you call for pickup the first time, or do you wait and see if it happens again?
I call the first time.

I am NOT cleaning it up twice.
cara041083 07:26 AM 07-07-2014
Ok thinks guys. I had a DCG throw up this morning and of course its the family I am having the hardiest time with and I called for pick up. Mom didn't want to pick up and I stood my ground. Well of course now that shes at home, mom is texting me saying DCG is fine and she is missing work for nothing. So I just wanted to make sure I did the right thing.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 07-07-2014
Ok thinks guys. I had a DCG throw up this morning and of course its the family I am having the hardiest time with and I called for pick up. Mom didn't want to pick up and I stood my ground. Well of course now that shes at home, mom is texting me saying DCG is fine and she is missing work for nothing. So I just wanted to make sure I did the right thing.
Of course, she isn't puking at home. She threw up everything at your house.

I suppose DCM thinks it's something she ate that made her throw up?

Can she (DCM) guarantee it isn't due to illness/virus?

If not, I think she needs to check herself and realize what she is asking of you.

Is she (DCM) aware that DCG needs to stay home tomorrow too?

Plus, it's not YOUR fault DCM is missing work. DCM needs to have reliable back up for HER child in these types of situations. It has nothing to do with you.

Ugh! This family needs a nanny.
cara041083 07:36 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Of course, she isn't puking at home. She threw up everything at your house.

I suppose DCM thinks it's something she ate that made her throw up?

Can she (DCM) guarantee it isn't due to illness/virus?

If not, I think she needs to check herself and realize what she is asking of you.

Is she (DCM) aware that DCG needs to stay home tomorrow too?

Plus, it's not YOUR fault DCM is missing work. DCM needs to have reliable back up for HER child in these types of situations. It has nothing to do with you.

Ugh! This family needs a nanny.
I 100% agree with the nanny part!!!! and as I read this, mom text me and said that she is fine, but her nose is stuffed up and that is why she threw up lol
SilverSabre25 07:40 AM 07-07-2014
1 puke and I call. Yep.

And if I hear that someone's tummy hurts I will ask, "Hungry hurt? Throw up hurt? Need to poop kind of hurt?" and if they say "throw up hurt" the parents get a heads up text about it so they are prepared if the child ends up puking.
nannyde 07:45 AM 07-07-2014
I have never had a kid I sent home for puking, diarrhea, or fever who has had any of those symptoms once they got home if the exclusion was on a Monday through Thursday. I have had kids who had these on Friday or Monday through Thursday IF they were scheduled to be off the next day. If they are scheduled to come to daycare the next day they only have the symptoms at my house.

Whenever a kid pukes I take a pic of the puke and send it to the mom. I also bag their clothes and send them home. With diarrhea I bag the diaper and send it home. With fever I take two temps with two different thermometers and take pics and send them to mom.

I have found that showing proof STOPS the back and forth. I also tell them that I have never had a kid that has had a second vomit, third diarrhea (I exclude with second diarrhea) or a fever after they have left my house except on days when they aren't scheduled to for daycare the next day. I don't expect them to have any more issues and I am just excluding for what happened at my house TODAY not for how they are going to be at home.

I open the diapers and show mom at the door. I take out the puke clothes and show mom at the door. I have the two thermometers at the front door. Having proof and confirming the kid will be fine once home.eliminates the calls like you got. They have to stay home the next day because of what they had TODAY at my house. That is all this exclusion is about. I don't ask for them to go to the doctor. They can come back the day after tomorrow.
JenNJ 07:45 AM 07-07-2014
First time every time. I don't care of they don't puke again. I'm not taking the chance.
cara041083 07:49 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I have never had a kid I sent home for puking, diarrhea, or fever who has had any of those symptoms once they got home if the exclusion was on a Monday through Thursday. I have had kids who had these on Friday or Monday through Thursday IF they were scheduled to be off the next day. If they are scheduled to come to daycare the next day they only have the symptoms at my house.

Whenever a kid pukes I take a pic of the puke and send it to the mom. I also bag their clothes and send them home. With diarrhea I bag the diaper and send it home. With fever I take two temps with two different thermometers and take pics and send them to mom.

I have found that showing proof STOPS the back and forth. I also tell them that I have never had a kid that has had a second vomit, third diarrhea (I exclude with second diarrhea) or a fever after they have left my house except on days when they aren't scheduled to for daycare the next day. I don't expect them to have any more issues and I am just excluding for what happened at my house TODAY not for how they are going to be at home.

I open the diapers and show mom at the door. I take out the puke clothes and show mom at the door. I have the two thermometers at the front door. Having proof and confirming the kid will be fine once home.eliminates the calls like you got. They have to stay home the next day because of what they had TODAY at my house. That is all this exclusion is about. I don't ask for them to go to the doctor. They can come back the day after tomorrow.

I never thought of doing any of this. I will from now on. Thanks.
midaycare 08:08 AM 07-07-2014

My stomach is in knots thinking of bagging a diarrhea diaper or stopping to take a pic of puke. Kudos to you! My stomach could not do it.
Leigh 08:15 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
My stomach is in knots thinking of bagging a diarrhea diaper or stopping to take a pic of puke. Kudos to you! My stomach could not do it.
I do this. I throw them in the garage-my husband thinks it is the most disgusting thing-he nearly throws up just thinking of diarrhea!
Second Home 08:28 AM 07-07-2014
1 episode of vomiting or D and they need to be picked up , same guidelines as our schools use .
TheGoodLife 09:10 AM 07-07-2014
Yeah, I wouldn't take any pics or bag things (unless it was clothes that I'd be sending home anyway). But I expect parents to be responsible and they alway have, been I guess.
nannyde 09:12 AM 07-07-2014
Shock and awe.

They never see it coming. Also, I offer it to them so they can get it cultured if need be.

I just use used ziplocs. Instead of throwing away big ziplocs I turn then inside out and wash. Let dry then stuff in a sack. If I need to send home puke clothes or diaper, I just pop them in and seal.

Proof makes ALL the difference when they want to minimize it or blame it on allergies, teething, something they ate, post nasal drip or whatever.

It WORKS
midaycare 10:06 AM 07-07-2014
Shock and awe.

They never see it coming. Also, I offer it to them so they can get it cultured if need be.

I just use used ziplocs. Instead of throwing away big ziplocs I turn then inside out and wash. Let dry then stuff in a sack. If I need to send home puke clothes or diaper, I just pop them in and seal.

Proof makes ALL the difference when they want to minimize it or blame it on allergies, teething, something they ate, post nasal drip or whatever.

It WORKS
I bet they never see it coming. I'm just trying to imagine the faces of the parents while being handled puke or diarrhea. I'm laughing out loud just thinking about it!
nannyde 11:03 AM 07-07-2014
I bet they never see it coming. I'm just trying to imagine the faces of the parents while being handled puke or diarrhea. I'm laughing out loud just thinking about it!
It's bagged and I globe and mask to take it out but they SEE it.

It stops the fantastical thinking that it was just a spit up or just a soft bm. It's "in your face" bit I do it in a clinical sharing way. I dreamt up that proof plan a few years back and it works 100 percent of the time.
midaycare 11:17 AM 07-07-2014
It's bagged and I globe and mask to take it out but they SEE it.

It stops the fantastical thinking that it was just a spit up or just a soft bm. It's "in your face" bit I do it in a clinical sharing way. I dreamt up that proof plan a few years back and it works 100 percent of the time.
You are quite clearly a genius. And if my stomach can handle it next time, I'm so doing this.
Unregistered 11:39 AM 07-07-2014
When I get the text/call/email that says the child is acting perfectly normally, I just say "Oh GOOOD Then he/she can come back day after tomorrow if all stays well. Hope your night goes well!!!!!! "
midaycare 12:20 PM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
When I get the text/call/email that says the child is acting perfectly normally, I just say "Oh GOOOD Then he/she can come back day after tomorrow if all stays well. Hope your night goes well!!!!!! "
Great response!
AmyKidsCo 01:04 PM 07-07-2014
What a timely post! I just had a 12 mo old puke everything he ate halfway through breakfast... then between cleaning everything up and getting him down he started eating again!

I debated sending him home but after texting mom "Child just puked up his whole breakfast" she replied "Oh no, I'll come get him" so I didn't have to make the decision. Gotta love "good" parents!
itlw8 01:08 PM 07-07-2014
I am going to say 1st time BUT it depends. If a child gags and throws up then no I do not send them home. but look sick you are leaving.
Reply Up