Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letter to Parents About Dressing for The Weather
CountryRoads 08:09 AM 11-20-2018
I am having a major problem with parents not dressing their kids appropriately for the weather. It is 18 degrees right now, and 2 of my dck (same family) a 2.5 year old and a 15 month old have no coats and no gloves!! The younger one has a warm hat, while the older one is wearing a fedora. Neither one has gloves either. There is about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground and I have no idea what this mom is thinking. They have never worn coats. It was 6 degrees out one day last week and once again - no coat, no hat, no gloves.
Last year we didn't go outside much at all in the winter because I had mostly infants, so idk if they just assume we aren't going outside or what. BUT...even if we don't go outside, they still need warm clothes in case of an emergency. I just don't want one child to ruin going outside for everybody. Any advice on what to put in the letter?
Blackcat31 08:18 AM 11-20-2018
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I am having a major problem with parents not dressing their kids appropriately for the weather. It is 18 degrees right now, and 2 of my dck (same family) a 2.5 year old and a 15 month old have no coats and no gloves!! The younger one has a warm hat, while the older one is wearing a fedora. Neither one has gloves either. There is about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground and I have no idea what this mom is thinking. They have never worn coats. It was 6 degrees out one day last week and once again - no coat, no hat, no gloves.
Last year we didn't go outside much at all in the winter because I had mostly infants, so idk if they just assume we aren't going outside or what. BUT...even if we don't go outside, they still need warm clothes in case of an emergency. I just don't want one child to ruin going outside for everybody. Any advice on what to put in the letter?
I would skip the letter and just verbally tell those without ALL the outdoor gear to bring it from today on. Tell them you go outside daily and if they don't have the right gear they won't be accepted into care upon drop off.

Due to the "no coats in car seats" concept, very few children arrive here wearing a coat. They all have one but they don't have it on at drop off.

In my honest opinion, face to face statements TO the parties not supplying the correct items will probably net compliance before a memo sent home will.
LittleExplorers 08:32 AM 11-20-2018
I agree with BC. Most of my kids aren't wearing them but they have one or leave one or a snowsuit here.

Tell them at pick up the list of what is needed, that you will be going outside and if they show up in the morning without them, they will be turned away until they come back with them. I also remind parents to check the local thrift stores if they want to leave one here. If anything were to happen, car accident etc on the way to daycare, they would need something for warmth in the car too.
Pandaluver21 02:02 PM 11-20-2018
I have a notice that just says
"Unfortunately your child (but you could say "the children") was not able to go outside today due to not having proper clothing" Then I have a spot that says "please remember:" and check things like hat, gloves, snow pants, play shoes, etc.
If you want to really rub it in , say "we need to go outside as a group, and when one child does not come with the proper clothing, our whole group misses out"
Maybe say "please bring ____ by _date or $_ will be added to your next bill to purchase them"
I have them leave gloves and hats here all winter, usually snow pants/suit too.
Ariana 09:04 AM 11-21-2018
I have a hard time understanding why this needs to be a letter! Tell mom at the door “so the kids need winter gear because we go outside every day and they are cold. I need boots, coats, snowpants, mittens and hats....do you have them at home, can you go get them”??

This needs to be addressed face to face. People like this are too stupid to read a letter. The kids here have their winter gear here and it stays all week, only goes home for the weekend.
skipper 04:20 PM 12-05-2018
I have a nature daycare so we're outdoors a lot. (and I mean a lot, we have lean-to's and such to play in when it's rain/snowing - we also have a great indoor space but are out most of the time) Saying that, I still get children arriving without essential gear. Skinny jeans and a pair of knock off UGGS? An unlined raincoat when it's below freezing? Ballet flats and a diaper bag full of sun hats and a nursing cover? It's simply an extraordinary menagerie of crap!
So I bought gear. Good quality outdoor gear - snowsuits, mitts, hats (all hunter's orange and mandatory upon registration - $5 fee each) boots, neckwarmers and wool socks. And I raised my rates to cover my costs, plus added an extra $50 per family per year 'outdoor adventure fee'. I had, in the past charged $20 per season for gear rental but have since bought new gear and put this policy in place. Now, I do have a few families who are avid outdoors-people and provide appropriate gear so I give them a break on the yearly fee.
Honest to god this is the only way I can ensure that everyone can go out, participate, not freeze to death, etc.

And on that note, I couldn't imagine sending my kids (teens!) off to school without proper clothing!

Good luck.....I think this is the one thing. The one thing that (some/many) parents just don't get. I mean, they're at work and they're warm right? So the kids must be warm too??? Ugh, it's just the limit.
littlefriends 05:31 PM 12-05-2018
I was dealing with this as well and finally bought what I needed and then gave the parents the receipt and told them that it needed to be added to the week’s payment or care would not be provided until it had. I had had to repeatedly tell them to bring even just basics like shoes!
Tags:apparel, dressing kids, winter clothes
Reply Up