Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Here!
Purplerainbows 03:03 PM 01-14-2018
Hello! I am in the process of getting licensed to open my own home daycare.

I am a stay-at-home mom with three daughters. I have a 9 year old, 7 year old and a 2 year old.

My husband works for the Post Office and recently became a regular, after 12 years of working there! We are now starting to get benefits, which is awesome. He also farms with his father and raises a couple hundred acres of fruit that he sells to different places. In the summer, I take my 3 girls with me and I sell at local farmer's markets on Saturdays.

I am very lucky because my husband is very good at saving and is a very good provider for our family.
I am so grateful that I have gotten to stay home with my kids. There are times though, I wish I could have my own income for things like vacations, a playground, house projects, and things like that. But I could never leave my 2 year old.

My mom ran a home daycare while I was a kid and she was the sole provider in our family for several years. She did really well and I remember loving all the daycare kids that would come to our home everyday.
My grandma(her mom) also had a daycare center and I remember going there a lot and loved the fun atmosphere and playing with other kids there.

So I have decided I want to try it for myself. I am a little worried because my 2 year old is so attached to me. She gets jealous when my other 2 kids get close to me and even gets mad when my husband cuddles with me on the couch.

I watched my sister in law's 2 kids a couple months ago, one is 2 and one is a newborn, and she had a fit at first, especially with me holding the newborn cousin.

I am sure she will grow out of that but I guess that is my biggest concern about opening my home daycare.

I have been reading this forum for the past few days and it sounds like there are many great things about opening a daycare, but also some stressful things too.

I know I will probably not want more than 6 kids in my daycare. 4 would be pretty ideal, but not sure if I could make enough money for it to be worth it, with only 4.

I looked at daycares on my Facebook MarketPlace and saw some people advertising that they charge $15 a day, per child. But I also noticed those people didn't say they were licensed.

The licensing process seems like it will be a long one, but it is something I definitey want to get.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and I am happy I found this website. There is definitely a lot of valuable information! I look forward for getting to know all of you!
Blackcat31 04:10 PM 01-14-2018
Welcome to the forum!
kendallina 05:58 PM 01-14-2018
Welcome!!

$15/day is super cheap, but perhaps realistic for some areas. See if you can get quotes from a few well-regarded licensed daycares before deciding your rates. You will regret it if you go too low because this isn't easy.

For me the toughest thing about in-home care was having my young daughter with me. She's now 9 and fantastic with the kids, but there were 2-3 years when it was so hard.

Good luck, keep reading this forum, so much good information!
Josiegirl 02:03 AM 01-15-2018
Maybe while you go through the licensing process, you could take 1 or 2 children to kind of get your feet wet and introduce your 2 yo to more momma sharing? In our state we can care for 2 families without being licensed.
It can be challenging operating childcare in your own home with your own children. But your children can form lifelong bonds too. It definitely has its pros and cons. I wish you the very best of luck! Your little one is changing every day and will probably grow to love having playmates so often.
Welcome to the forum!
Reply Up