Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Respond
wahmof3 10:17 AM 10-04-2011
I have a new dkg starting in the next few weeks. I have been in contact with the mom more as the start date approaches. She informed me that she is moving 1 1/2 hours away (one way) due to various issues but she is still planning on working close to me and would still like to have me as her provider. Which is fine, but my 1st thought was how long is driving 3 hours everyday, filling up her gas tank with the crazy gas prices, & paying for childcare going to last? By the time she is done with all of that she won't have much income left. But anyways I told her I hoped everything was ok for them to be moving that far away. She said that her only concern was winter driving and if there happens to be a school delay (she teaches) and she is already on the road, if it would be ok just to stay at my house for the 2hr delays. I'm not sure how to respond to that. She is paying for the space so bringing her child here is not a problem. I think it would be really akward to have her here too. I really don't want her to stay, mainly because I am trying to get my kids ready and I'm trying to get everything ready for my day to begin and I would feel as if I need to entertain her. Yet at the same time I understand her situation. What would you do?
Cat Herder 10:26 AM 10-04-2011
For me it would be a non-issue since it only happens here about once a year..

If I lived in a colder climate I would have a different opinion.

"I can't let them make their life choices my responsibility."

I think it fits most situations.
daycare 10:26 AM 10-04-2011
wow now that is an unsual request, so I seem to think.

I think that I would talk to her in further detail about it. Maybe ask her directly that when the DCK would need to stay at your house due to dealys from weather if she plans to stay with the child. If she says yes, then i would go on to tell her that it's not allowed per licensing. At least here in my state it would be an issue.

I hope that some others chime in on this for you, I really don't have too much advice on this.
laundrymom 10:36 AM 10-04-2011
I'd just tell her that you aren't set up for that type of arrangment. That the children do not settle when there are visitors, and you respect everyones privacy by limiting contact the parents and children have with one another. Also,... If she was going to be here, she would be considered an assistant and need tb, drug screen, fingerprints, trainings. I'm unwilling to do that. I would suggest her calling a friend in town or taking that time to sit at a coffee shop, relax and catch up on reading
wdmmom 10:50 AM 10-04-2011
I would tell her regardless of delays, she is welcome to bring DCG in at any time but because of the disruption it causes, she will need to either go into work early or occupy her own time.

There is no way I would have a daycare parents hanging out at my house for 2 hours EVER!!!
morgan24 10:56 AM 10-04-2011
If she is already on her way, why can't she drop off dck and go to work early? I have had teachers do that on fog delay, they would drop off early and go in to get extra work done.
wahmof3 12:36 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
If she is already on her way, why can't she drop off dck and go to work early? I have had teachers do that on fog delay, they would drop off early and go in to get extra work done.
Thats what I was wondering. She says she isn't sure if she can get into the building early. Hard telling with all of the cost-saving cut backs in our school system, she might not be able to. Hopefully she can!!!!!!!
cheerfuldom 02:02 PM 10-04-2011
I have a bad feeling about this situation....i would not allow any exceptions to the rules because of her move. Treat her like any other daycare parent and if she can't follow the rules, find a new family. I really don't think that whole scenario is going to work long term. Sounds sort of fishy to me.....
mac60 02:06 PM 10-04-2011
Nope, no reason she can't go into work early.....guaranteed the maintenance guys are there clearing off the sidewalks all doing other things.
wahmof3 04:46 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have a bad feeling about this situation....i would not allow any exceptions to the rules because of her move. Treat her like any other daycare parent and if she can't follow the rules, find a new family. I really don't think that whole scenario is going to work long term. Sounds sort of fishy to me.....
My guard is up on this family. I don't think bad intentions are there, I just can't justify the sudden move, long drive, etc. I personally think the dcf will only last until she finds a job closer to where she is moving too. My gut is telling me its fishy too. In this industry, I have always been told to go with your gut
wahmof3 04:47 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Nope, no reason she can't go into work early.....guaranteed the maintenance guys are there clearing off the sidewalks all doing other things.

very good point!
Country Kids 05:35 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Where we are all teachers are not allowed at the school till right before the kids get there during a bad weather day.
wahmof3 02:34 PM 10-06-2011
So I emailed dcm back & told her I wasn't set up to have her stay here for a 2 hour delay.
She responded with a new issue. Please help me word a response to her

She had asked if I would keep dkg on Monday from 9:30a-2:30p. I said yes, but it would be at my drop in rate of $35 for the day. So she responds ok I will be there at 9a now & try to pick her up as close to 2:30 as possible but I have to wait on the gas company to shut off and it could be as late as 4p.

My thought- what the heck???

Then she proceeds to say that she will have afternoon meetings. (She is a spec ed teacher & I am sure these meetings will be part of her norm, why didnt she tell me when we met??) The 1st week I have dcg she has 2 nights where she will be a 1/2 to an hour late picking her up.

My thoughts- why didn't you discuss this with me when we 1st met 3 months ago.

How would you handle this?? I have another child that comes in at 2:30 when new dcg is supposed to leave. Per my contract I would like to respond that we contracted until 2:30p and anything past that I will charge a fee????
familyschoolcare 02:40 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
So I emailed dcm back & told her I wasn't set up to have her stay here for a 2 hour delay.

She had asked if I would keep dkg on Monday from 9:30a-2:30p. I said yes, but it would be at my drop in rate of $35 for the day. So she responds ok I will be there at 9a now & try to pick her up as close to 2:30 as possible but I have to wait on the gas company to shut off and it could be as late as 4p.

Then she proceeds to say that she will have afternoon meetings. (She is a spec ed teacher & I am sure these meetings will be part of her norm, why didnt she tell me when we met??) The 1st week I have dcg she has 2 nights where she will be a 1/2 to an hour late picking her up.

How would you handle this?? I have another child that comes in at 2:30 when new dcg is supposed to leave. Per my contract I would like to respond that we contracted until 2:30p and anything past that I will charge a fee????
Mom did not discuss this with you when you first meet B/C she does not want to pay for the extra time.

Stick to what you contract says. Quote your contract in your response and then say so that means that if you need care until *** it will be an extra ** if I have room.
daycare 02:41 PM 10-06-2011

how many hours are included with your price?

example i allow 9.5 hours at $50.00 per day anything after that is billed at $7.00 an hour
wahmof3 02:54 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
how many hours are included with your price?

example i allow 9.5 hours at $50.00 per day anything after that is billed at $7.00 an hour
I don't have specific hours in my price. We figure work hours plus commute time & thats how we determine the contracted hours. When we met she said school is from 7:30a-2:15pm so care needed is 7a-2:30pm. So that's the space I have held for dcg.

My contract spells out how contracted hours are figured & there is a fee for every 15 minutes late.
wdmmom 02:59 PM 10-06-2011
Yes and No

Either remind her of the contract hours and the hours you agreed to.

You can either:

A.) Tell her that you have another child filling the spot when your child leaves at 2:30pm so you are unable to work any longer than that.

Or

B.) Charge her $1.00 per minute. Bet she'll be there by 2:30pm everyday!
Nellie 04:29 PM 10-06-2011
Silly question but......If she got done with school at 3:15 and you figured 15 mins for commute would her rate she is paying be the same or more?
wahmof3 05:11 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by Nellie:
Silly question but......If she got done with school at 3:15 and you figured 15 mins for commute would her rate she is paying be the same or more?
I wouldn't have been able to enroll dcg due to the overlap.

With that aside: If she was done at 315 w/ 15m commute- she would go in later so yes her fee would be the same.
familyschoolcare 05:15 PM 10-06-2011
I wouldn't have been able to enroll dcg due to the overlap.
There is your answer tell mom you did not realize that she would sometimes need care after 2:30 AND you DO NOT have room for the child at that time. esp. if this is the truth.
Meyou 02:51 AM 10-07-2011
From reading this thread I think you need to be wary of this mama and not make any exceptions to your rules at all. She hasn't even started yet and she's changing things and asking for favors. The only way to go is to follow your contract to the letter and not give her anything extra. I really have a feeling she's one of the "I want special" all the time mamas.
Cat Herder 10:50 AM 10-07-2011
Red flags on the play.....
TBird 11:16 AM 10-07-2011
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....I don't entertain adults and you can't "hang out" here for hours on end. It's a disruption, the kids will be off the wall, and her "little angel" would turn into a "Mommy's here" HELLION!!!

I'm sorry, but that's a recipe for disaster IMHO.
Meyou 11:22 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Red flags on the play.....
Totally!
wahmof3 02:36 PM 10-07-2011
Update: I emailed the dcm back & brought up my concerns & referenced my policies. Basically letting her know that I run my business not my dcp

My money says she won't be here monday
daycare 02:42 PM 10-07-2011
Update: I emailed the dcm back & brought up my concerns & referenced my policies. Basically letting her know that I run my business not my dcp

My money says she won't be here monday
hey better you found out now than deal with a major headace later......

sorry to hear this but happy for you at the same time....

Dodged a bullet....lol
wahmof3 05:24 PM 10-07-2011
So she will not be coming on Monday.

She is officially supposed to start the end of the month. She just needed Monday as a drop-in favor.

We will see.

I think I am going to pray about it over the weekend. My bank account is saying yes you need her, but my gut is saying no way.
Christian Mother 07:39 PM 10-07-2011
Teacher schedules can be really tricky. One of my teacher families just started with a new school this yr 30 min away from where we both live. She needs to be at work by 7am so drop off for me is at 6:15am. The plus side is that school lets out at 2:30pm however, there are teacher meeting every week. We went from pick up at 3:30pm to renegotiating the contract to 4:15pm. That gives her 10 hrs of care each day at $25. Anything after that is $5 a hr. Mon. used to be meeting days so she would drop little guy off later around 7:15am and then pick up at 5:15pm but that switched to Tues. The first month of school was very hectic for everyone. She uncured $20 late fees that 2nd week of care. That is why we renegotiated her contract for longer hrs to help her out. The late fees where killing her. You have to also take in consideration that there are days school are closed that you may not need to care for her child not to mention the summer. You will have to plan out how you will do care during the summer time with teachers children. I normally always have my families son during the summers bc she also teaches during the summer. I do have to say things have gotten a lot better which her schedule and although meetings get switched around all the time, I can tell her and her husband are doing everything possible to be here on time and follow my rules. I really do love and appreciate that. You just have to be firm with her phb and stick to it. Only do what you can do.
Tags:lingering parents, snow policy
Reply Up