Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gotta Love When The Kids Spill The Beans On Parents!!
lilcupcakes09 12:04 PM 06-27-2012
My dcb is eating breakfast today and spills the beans about leaving my care! News to me, but evidently Grandma will be caring for him and sister when school starts. If this is true, which I would believe from him- I will be angry that they have not told me, upset because I love the kids, and my own child would be very upset- he says they are best friends. I'm not the confrontational type but guess I'm going to have to ask her about it asap Totally stinks, having taken care of them for the past 3 years.
lil angels 12:10 PM 06-27-2012
I had a 3 yr old tell me that him and his sister were trying to decide if they should go to the new center that opened up or if they should stay here. Then a couple days later he came in and said that the center had all kids of new toys and he was excited to go there. so I sat and waited and about a week later mom gave notice and she told me the kids needed more of a school setting not a second mom I was not impressed to say the least. I thought oh I am so glad I loved your kids for the last two yrs when you were at work. Whatever I guess this has been a while ago it happened but it still drives me batty.
Meeko 12:51 PM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I had a 3 yr old tell me that him and his sister were trying to decide if they should go to the new center that opened up or if they should stay here. Then a couple days later he came in and said that the center had all kids of new toys and he was excited to go there. so I sat and waited and about a week later mom gave notice and she told me the kids needed more of a school setting not a second mom I was not impressed to say the least. I thought oh I am so glad I loved your kids for the last two yrs when you were at work. Whatever I guess this has been a while ago it happened but it still drives me batty.
Wish I knew why parents want their kids to grow up at lightening speed and be students in a "school" when they really need to be with a "mom". It's like they want to skip childhood completely.

From the time we hit kindergarten to the day we retire, we live by the clock.

Kids need to be kids...not students by three years old.....so sad. No timetables, no schedules, no pre-set adult agendas. I guess parents don't understand that their child learns every day and doesn't need a desk to succeed as a toddler. They need hugs and they need read to and they need talked to and allowed to explore the world at THEIR pace. There's plenty of time for school.
jojosmommy 01:10 PM 06-27-2012
I would ask them tonight. "So, Dcb said gma is going to be watching them this Fall _________________ (insert long somewhat awkward pause)"

I did it with a parent when she told me her and dad were still together and dcb said, "mom and dad are actually 'revorced'". She got the hint not to lie or hide things because kids always know and share more than they are supposed to.
cheerfuldom 01:12 PM 06-27-2012
Its ridiculous for parents to be lying to their provider. If they want to send them to a school/daycare or send them to grandmas (for free care I would guess), so what? thats their right as parents. there is no reason to be sneaky and lying and tip-toeing around. Just be honest about it and give a fair notice.
MizzCheryl 01:28 PM 06-27-2012
Sometimes the parents think that homes are not as structured as centers and that the grass will be greener at a prek or a center. So go is all I say. They will see soon enough that they were wrong. When they leave to go somewhere like that and call me back in 2 months to see if I will take Jr. back I always decline. "So sorry the spot is filled. Don't you love your new center (bat eye lashes)?" Don't even sweat it.

Had one tell me 2 weeks ago , we may have to move to a preschool program. I said Ok (smile) just let me know. (smile)
Mom was upset cause she knows how much I have helped DCB with a few issues. I said, "Do what is best for you and DCB"
They say they decided to stay with me but we shall see.

I have had kids come in and tell me they were going to a new school too.
BumbleBee 01:34 PM 06-27-2012
I would ask. Nicely of course, but then you'll know.

Had a parent pull her twins out of care at the center when I worked there. Put them in a new facility a block away because it was cheaper. 2 weeks later came back and begged for us to take her kids back. Too bad we had filled their spots.
daycare 01:36 PM 06-27-2012
I would just ask the parents.

I had a DCK once tell me that they were going to start staying with granny, and so on.

I said ok cool. So I asked the parents and they started laughing. They told me that the DCK heard them talking with the Grandma who was asking if she could start spending more time with the DCK so they were going to start letting granma pick up a few days here and there during the summer time.

Kids hear things but don't always know how to explain them to us. Also, it could be that the parents may be going through some stuff and have just not had the chance to tell you yet.
Sunchimes 03:06 PM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Wish I knew why parents want their kids to grow up at lightening speed and be students in a "school" when they really need to be with a "mom". It's like they want to skip childhood completely.

Kids need to be kids...not students by three years old.....so sad. No timetables, no schedules, no pre-set adult agendas. I guess parents don't understand that their child learns every day and doesn't need a desk to succeed as a toddler. They need hugs and they need read to and they need talked to and allowed to explore the world at THEIR pace. There's plenty of time for school.

Yes, this!! It's been my soapbox for years!!!
Country Kids 03:11 PM 06-27-2012

Its not just the parents though anymore. Our teachers here actually say that the kindergartens in at least our area is more like first grade. A child that doesn't know their abc, 123's, shapes, are so far behind when they enter that its not even funny. Our kindergarteners here actually only doing reading and math the entire time they are there (like 2.5 hours). No real creative outlets, music, pe, funtime, etc.. The pressure is really on us here as daycare providers to have them pretty ready for school unfortunately-
e.j. 04:16 PM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Its not just the parents though anymore. Our teachers here actually say that the kindergartens in at least our area is more like first grade. A child that doesn't know their abc, 123's, shapes, are so far behind when they enter that its not even funny. Our kindergarteners here actually only doing reading and math the entire time they are there (like 2.5 hours). No real creative outlets, music, pe, funtime, etc.. The pressure is really on us here as daycare providers to have them pretty ready for school unfortunately-
I had a dc parent who worked in the schools as a physical therapist. She said it's crazy how many kids are refered for PT and OT services because they are "behind" when actually, the problem for many is that they are now expected to do things that developmentally, they aren't old enough to do. She created an entire workshop to teach the teachers about what is and what isn't developmentally appropriate for each age. She felt very strongly that while some kids are advanced and capable of meeting the increased expectations, many more kids are being pushed to do things that they just aren't ready for developmentally.
cheerfuldom 04:19 PM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
you are right. some friends told me that their school recently cut recess for all the elementary! then I hear of the opposite spectrum where kids are not expecting to do even sight words till second grade.
Hunni Bee 07:38 PM 06-27-2012
Here the kids must be able to read, add, write sentences by the middle of K. Its too much. In Head Start, the two year olds have written homework nightly. Its sad...we're still way behind other nations in academic skills. Obviously forcing two year olds to be students is not even working....what is it for???
dave4him 03:50 PM 07-01-2012
Kids need consitency, structure, and those things are as easy to find with a home daycare as a preschool program. I dont think the whole school system thing if really even that healthy overall for our kids. Its a fairly new thing in the history of mankind to send your kids off to a building all day like we do. I have had people not bring their kids to me thinking they wouldnt learn. Im pretty sure my kids learn plenty
Blackcat31 04:09 PM 07-01-2012
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
My dcb is eating breakfast today and spills the beans about leaving my care! News to me, but evidently Grandma will be caring for him and sister when school starts. If this is true, which I would believe from him- I will be angry that they have not told me, upset because I love the kids, and my own child would be very upset- he says they are best friends. I'm not the confrontational type but guess I'm going to have to ask her about it asap Totally stinks, having taken care of them for the past 3 years.
Kids always talk! I would definitely ask the parents though what is going on.

If they are leaving, then oh, well. Families will always do what is best (and usually cheapest) for them. You can't fault them for that.

I know it sucks but it is just all part of this job. I have had kids leave my care for all sorts of reasons. Some I completely understood and others I scratched my head for week but either way, you do what you need to do and they will always do what they need to do.

I recently had a parent leave my care because the road construction was making her late for work. Nevermind that I have been watching her child since birth and the new daycare is 6 blocks (seriously) closer to her work.

So what ever. I guess mom has a different set of values than I do, but it is what it is and I can't change it so I move on and fill the space and wish her the best.

In your case, just ask. If they are leaving, start advertising and if they are staying, then you will know.

But you won't be able to do anything until you ask.
boysx5 08:49 AM 07-02-2012

This is what I say all the time. Great mines think alike
cheerfuldom 09:04 AM 07-02-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Kids always talk! I would definitely ask the parents though what is going on.

If they are leaving, then oh, well. Families will always do what is best (and usually cheapest) for them. You can't fault them for that.

I know it sucks but it is just all part of this job. I have had kids leave my care for all sorts of reasons. Some I completely understood and others I scratched my head for week but either way, you do what you need to do and they will always do what they need to do.

I recently had a parent leave my care because the road construction was making her late for work. Nevermind that I have been watching her child since birth and the new daycare is 6 blocks (seriously) closer to her work.

So what ever. I guess mom has a different set of values than I do, but it is what it is and I can't change it so I move on and fill the space and wish her the best.

In your case, just ask. If they are leaving, start advertising and if they are staying, then you will know.

But you won't be able to do anything until you ask.
I agree. I have had a few kids leave for the silliest reasons IMO. I take kids from infant age and a few parents have shocked me in leaving so quickly, after I have taken care of their child since mom went back to work. I had one mom leave because she came ONE time and her son was crying. He had been with me for months with never a tear at pickup and one time, shes out the door with no notice/no 2nd chance for me. Its really heartbreaking sometimes.
Tags:tattling
Reply Up