Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cleaning, Cleaning, and More Cleaning...
Brookers 09:15 AM 10-13-2010
Ok, so I clean a lot, as Im sure we all do. I am wondering what you use to clean the floors after lunch. My floor is such a mess when lunch is over and sticky and just gross! I clean them by hand everyday with a wet rag. Im considering getting a swiffer sweeper. have any of you used one and if you have did it work well and if not what do you use? Im looking for something to cut my time I spend cleaning. Im also looking into getting a powerless, or battery powered small vacuum to clean up cheerios and crummies in the living room. Any cleaning tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
MommyMuffin 09:20 AM 10-13-2010
I bought a swiffer and it is great but does not get up some of the sticky stuff..jelly. I just scrub the little spots with a rag. I croqueted (sp?) covers for the swiffer because I was sick of spending money on the pads that go on the botton. The yarn I made it out of had more friction than the pads too. So it helps get up the gunk! I just throw it in laundry to clean it and then reuse.
I bought a dirt devil little hand held thing. It is great, I use it all the time on my stairs. As far as the floor I cover more space sweeping.
mac60 09:30 AM 10-13-2010
I would start by not letting kids eat beyond the table. I have a swiffer mop. But I have never bought the moist pads. I use an old rag, wet it, and I keep a spray bottle of Mr. Clean handy and just spray the floor with that and use the swiffer mop. Works quite well. My kitchen is small.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:33 AM 10-13-2010
I use the wand on my sweeper, mine arent too messy and if they throw it on the floor, they pick it up. I also have Rascal who loves to help eat up the floor when they are finished. Doggy LOVES babies! lol. I had a roomba that I used for 6 years,... he finally took his last breath. lol. I would love to get another. and a scooba. They are awesome! I dont have problems with crumbs anywhere else but the kitchen. We dont eat anywhere but the kitchen seated at the table.
AfterSchoolMom 09:33 AM 10-13-2010
I just saw a commercial yesterday for the Rubbermaid Reveal - it's like a swiffer, but the "tank" is refillable (you use whatever cleaner you have on hand) and the cloth is reusable and washable. I'm planning to get one, because Swiffer pads/cleaner liquid are EXPENSIVE!

I have a handheld Dirty Devil vacuum (the one shaped like a cone), and it is fantastic. It is pretty powerful and has never lost power or suction, and I've been using it for 3 years now.
Brookers 09:50 AM 10-13-2010
Thanks guys!! I dont have a large kitchen and my doggies help clean up, they are the best!! But I just want my floors to be clean and sanitized after each meal cause 4 or 5 all eating in there at once gets messy. I let the kids snack on cheerios in the morning while playing in my livingroom cause my kitchen and livingroom are very seperate rooms and I can look after them better, they are pretty good about now making a mess but the do get stepped on my me if I dont watch my step around the table sometimes....plus the doggies help clean up that mess too. But I just need something quick and quiet I can break out really quick during the first round of naps and after lunch. So Im thinking about getting a swiffer and maybe making a reuseable cover like Mommy Muffin (you crafty genuis!) I love all the input, you are all so awesome!! Thanks!! Ohh and Im def gonna check out Rubbermaid Reveal. I might be able to get one for free with my Swagbucks through Amazon.com. Hmm.....
DCMom 10:11 AM 10-13-2010
I have an H2O Steam mop. I sweep and steam clean everyday after lunch.
DancingQueen 10:18 AM 10-13-2010
I have the shark steam mop - but it is work to do. I want quick and painless.
here is a link to the thread where I mention the mop I now have AND LOVE
https://daycare.com/forum/showthread...ght=microfiber
safechner 10:26 AM 10-13-2010
I know how you feel. I was in the same boat. I was so sick of it to get cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned. I just bought a shark steam mop a month ago which I LOVE it! It is so much easier since I have hardwood/title.
momofsix 10:27 AM 10-13-2010
[quote=AfterSchoolMom;50467]I just saw a commercial yesterday for the Rubbermaid Reveal - it's like a swiffer, but the "tank" is refillable (you use whatever cleaner you have on hand) and the cloth is reusable and washable. I'm planning to get one, because Swiffer pads/cleaner liquid are EXPENSIVE!

I just bought one of these at Sam's this weekend and I love it! Nice and easy to mop I used to have the swiffer mop, but the sprayer broke, and the wet pads are just so expensive-and I'm not handy like so many others on this board!
I also have a swiffer sweeper, I don't use it often, but is handy to have when I NEED to vac and the babies are asleep.
My vac us a Kenmore (sears) It is beltless and has bags, and a bunch of attachments and I LOVE it! It's the first time ever I spent more than $100 on a vac, and I was very picky about what I wanted. It does bare floors great, and the attachments hook up to a nice long hose for steps. I will never use a bagless vac again-it's so much easier to change a bag then to empty the messy plastic container and wash it out every time!
AfterSchoolMom 10:37 AM 10-13-2010
Originally Posted by :
My vac us a Kenmore (sears) It is beltless and has bags, and a bunch of attachments and I LOVE it! It's the first time ever I spent more than $100 on a vac, and I was very picky about what I wanted. It does bare floors great, and the attachments hook up to a nice long hose for steps. I will never use a bagless vac again-it's so much easier to change a bag then to empty the messy plastic container and wash it out every time!
What's the model name of your vaccuum, Momofsix? It sounds great, and I have terrible luck with picking out vaccuums...my last one didn't last three months.
MarinaVanessa 10:39 AM 10-13-2010
I just use the swiffer but don't bother to get the refills. I just go out and buy white terry cloths from Lowe's or Home Depot and get a big bag for about $12-$14 dollars. I put a little hot water in a bucket or the sink and dip the rag in it and pop that right on the end of the swiffer just as if it was a refill wipe and VOAH-LAH! At the end of the day I do the same but add a little floor cleaner. The rags are all white so they just go in the washer and if they need it I add a little bleach. I also use the terry cloths for the counters and everything else too and don't bother buying paper towels. Saves me a ton of money.
momofsix 10:52 AM 10-13-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
What's the model name of your vaccuum, Momofsix? It sounds great, and I have terrible luck with picking out vaccuums...my last one didn't last three months.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CB8Q8wIwAA#

Here is an Amazon link, I read tons of reviews on different vacs before i actually went out to buy.
My model # is 116 35922502 I paid under $300 for it on sale, a lot for me to spend on a vac, and so far I haven't been sorry.
countrymom 10:58 AM 10-13-2010
I clean all day, I need a new vac. I have a swiffer but the pads are so expensive. Hmm I need to look into those steam mops.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:01 AM 10-13-2010
I swear by the simplicity sweepers! I used to go through one a year,.. had every brand, every type. then 8 years ago I went to a vacuum center, told them what I did, they sold me on a simplicity upright with motor after the bag. (the ones with the dirt passing through the motor do NOT like barbie shoes, coins, barrettes, lol) It was costly, but better than anything I had had in the past and still going strong!! (of course since I posted this it will surely die soon, lol)
Brookers 12:31 PM 10-13-2010
Ohh my gosh! I use Terry Cloths for everything! I love them. I have a billion of them and go through them once a week. I think I may go with the swiffer and just use the terry cloths or make somthing similar to what mommymuffin was refering to. I have a cheap bissel vacuum that I LOOOOOVE! and since it was cheap I love it even more, Im a major bargian shopper! I used to have a roomba that putted around the living room every evening but it couldnt handle the dog hair....at the time we were watching a lab for some friends who shed like there was no tomorrow. But yes I loooove my Bissel. Best 75 bucks ever spend on a vacuum. I had an infinity shark and it just wasnt working and then broke after a year. Im surfing amazon reading reviews on items like swiffer...I will let you all know what I decide on and how it works.
Abigail 08:29 PM 11-04-2010
We have all the kids sit at the table (usually about 10, the rest are infants) and when they are done eating one by one they are dismissed from the table to go put their chair away and go wash up and then they go to their cots. I like this schedule because it's all in one big open room and some of the kids who are done first are tired and fall asleep on their cots while the rest are still eating. The chairs we have are stackable and all the kids, even two year olds can put their chair on the stack. They are also required to grab their own chair when it is time to eat any meal or snack and anytime we do crafts. Kids are capable of doing a lot, just give them a chance and some responsiblity...they become independent and help out their friends when they can't quite get the top chair up or down, etc. Works out well.

Doesn't anyone just use a broom after lunch and wash the floor at closing time unless something obviously spilled then use a wet rag on it quickly? When I clean, I do a good job and I'm not going to spend my whole day cleaning either.
legomom922 04:02 AM 11-05-2010
I only allow eating in the kitchen, so there are no crumbs in the living room. After breakfast or lunch, depending on how many crumbs are on the floor, I will just sweep, and after they are gone, then I mop. I am not going to spend all my time cleaning the floor everyday!
Jewels 05:19 AM 11-05-2010
I love my steam mop! I also use a vacuum, I haven't swept anything in years, I hated sweeping because I could see everything flying in the air, The place I hate cleaning the most is all the chairs and the table, I hate hate it, They get so icky and sticky everywhere.

On black friday for those that might be thinking of a steam mop, Kohls is going to have the shark steam mop for 50% off, The deluxe one is going to be $58 from well over $100, awesome deal, and I Highly recommend! Their also going to have the basic model at $49.99 normal price at target right now $109.99
momofboys 05:36 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by Brookers:
Ok, so I clean a lot, as Im sure we all do. I am wondering what you use to clean the floors after lunch. My floor is such a mess when lunch is over and sticky and just gross! I clean them by hand everyday with a wet rag. Im considering getting a swiffer sweeper. have any of you used one and if you have did it work well and if not what do you use? Im looking for something to cut my time I spend cleaning. Im also looking into getting a powerless, or battery powered small vacuum to clean up cheerios and crummies in the living room. Any cleaning tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I am not a big fan of Swiffer mostly b/c I hate the fact of buying disposable products that you have to keep buying BUT Libman makes a cool appliance that looks like a swiffer but the pads that you use on it are washable so you can re-use them & you can buy your own solution or use whatever solution you want in the soap dispenser. You should be able to find it where they sell mops/brooms. I forgot to add it only costs about $25~
momofboys 05:37 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I love my steam mop! I also use a vacuum, I haven't swept anything in years, I hated sweeping because I could see everything flying in the air, The place I hate cleaning the most is all the chairs and the table, I hate hate it, They get so icky and sticky everywhere.

On black friday for those that might be thinking of a steam mop, Kohls is going to have the shark steam mop for 50% off, The deluxe one is going to be $58 from well over $100, awesome deal, and I Highly recommend! Their also going to have the basic model at $49.99 normal price at target right now $109.99

Thanks for the endorsement. I really want to get one of those!!!! So how does the pad part get cleaned? Is it attached to the mop & it doesn't really get too dirty b/c of the steam or do you wash it in the washing machine. I'm really interested!
Lilbutterflie 05:52 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Thanks for the endorsement. I really want to get one of those!!!! So how does the pad part get cleaned? Is it attached to the mop & it doesn't really get too dirty b/c of the steam or do you wash it in the washing machine. I'm really interested!
I have the Bissel Steam Mop, and I don't know how I ever cleaned floors without it! The pads come off easily and get thrown in the wash. They come out clean every time. Caution: not for kitchens with wood floors. Some steam mops get too hot and warp the wood I think. I have tile and it does great. Doesn't clean the grout well, but I've never found anything that does.
Luna 07:12 AM 11-05-2010
I use the swiffer wetjet, but I agree about using throw-away single-use products. I made a washable pad for it and I just refill the bottle of cleaner with my own . The lid comes off easily if you run it under hot water for a minute.
Tags:cleaning, supplies, swiffer sweeper
Reply Up