Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help With Wording A Letter For Trial Extension...
taylorw1210 02:22 PM 06-09-2014
I have a family who is nearing the end of their 3 week trial. However, I want to extend it as the family has gone against a couple important policies of mine.

1. They showed up 30 min late for pickup within the first week of care, even though we went over the late policy heavily during the interview. They even stated they didn't mind paying the late pick up fee, as if it was an option for longer care. I nipped that in the butt right away.

2. Their payment was a day late for this week. Friday evening 5:30 (my close time) on the dot the dad shows up and "forgot the money on the dresser at home". So I said that's ok, I'll be home most of the night for you to bring it back. Then he stumbled with words and to make his several excuses short - he brought it the next day with the late fee.

The kid isn't a bad addition. He's a typical nearly 2yo boy and is getting the hang of things. But I need to get the message across to the parents that my policies are not negotiable and I do not appreciate the 2 incidences that have occurred during their trial.

So, I would like to let them know I am extending their trial due to the previous incidences... any help with wording?
Michael 02:40 PM 06-09-2014
Here are more threads on Trial Periods: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=trial+period
daycare 02:50 PM 06-09-2014
Dear DCP

as you are aware we have come to the end of our 3 week paid trial period. After reviewing these past weeks, we had some issues with our PHB Policies.

To run a successful program all clients must adhere to the PHB polices of ABC DC. Moving forward, late pick ups and late payments will be immediate grounds for termination.

your Mad DCP

I don't think giving them more time to adjust is what you are looking for. You just need to tell them to knock it off or you are going to get rid of them.....

giving them more time is only going to allow them to repeat the behavior again.
taylorw1210 03:13 PM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
Dear DCP

as you are aware we have come to the end of our 3 week paid trial period. After reviewing these past weeks, we had some issues with our PHB Policies.

To run a successful program all clients must adhere to the PHB polices of ABC DC. Moving forward, late pick ups and late payments will be immediate grounds for termination.

your Mad DCP

I don't think giving them more time to adjust is what you are looking for. You just need to tell them to knock it off or you are going to get rid of them.....

giving them more time is only going to allow them to repeat the behavior again.
I am trying to be understanding as its a young couple with their first child in his first daycare. But chances are they are really just pushing boundaries to see what they can get away with.
daycare 03:40 PM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
I am trying to be understanding as its a young couple with their first child in his first daycare. But chances are they are really just pushing boundaries to see what they can get away with.
if you really want to extend the trail period then just add to the letter that after reviewing the last 3 weeks that you have decided it is necessary to extend the trial period.

You will need to add how much longer you want to give them and what you will do if they don't abide by the rules.

I have been doing this for over 10 years and perhaps I am more strict than you are, but I don't care how old you are, if you are a first time 3rd time or grandparent, you have to follow the rules just like everyone else.
taylorw1210 04:04 PM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
if you really want to extend the trail period then just add to the letter that after reviewing the last 3 weeks that you have decided it is necessary to extend the trial period.

You will need to add how much longer you want to give them and what you will do if they don't abide by the rules.

I have been doing this for over 10 years and perhaps I am more strict than you are, but I don't care how old you are, if you are a first time 3rd time or grandparent, you have to follow the rules just like everyone else.
Oh, I agree - no one is exempt from the rules. I'm just a softie still.
Blackcat31 04:59 PM 06-09-2014
Why extend the trial period?

If you are interested in enrolling them, do so.

If they break a rule/policy again, term.

My handbook states I have a right to term immediately for violations of program policies.

Just because they are young and first time parents doesn't mean they don't know how to read and comprehend rules they agreed to follow.
taylorw1210 04:27 AM 06-10-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why extend the trial period?

If you are interested in enrolling them, do so.

If they break a rule/policy again, term.

My handbook states I have a right to term immediately for violations of program policies.

Just because they are young and first time parents doesn't mean they don't know how to read and comprehend rules they agreed to follow.
I guess my intention behind extending it was to get the message across, again, that breaking policies is not ok... maybe a trial extension isn't what I need to do, and just need to send home a warning? I was very firm on both accounts with both parents, but I want to make sure things are crystal clear so that IF it does happen again, I'll not second guess terming immediately.
Blackcat31 06:44 AM 06-10-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
I guess my intention behind extending it was to get the message across, again, that breaking policies is not ok... maybe a trial extension isn't what I need to do, and just need to send home a warning? I was very firm on both accounts with both parents, but I want to make sure things are crystal clear so that IF it does happen again, I'll not second guess terming immediately.
So instead send them a letter saying they are being enrolled permanently but that ANY violation of program policies will be grounds for immediate termination.

Something like:

Dear DCF

We are now at the end of our two week trial period.

At this time, I am willing to sign your family on as regular attendees in my program.

It is important however, that I reiterate my program policies and let you know that late pick ups and missed payments are NOT acceptable and are grounds for immediate termination.

There will be no warnings or grace periods for either of these things. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Sincerely

Provider

Tags:trial period
Reply Up