Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Preschool
kcnjason 01:28 PM 04-27-2011
I think I may have too high of expectations, which can be good and bad at the same time. When doing preschool with my dck's I never feel like I do enough yet I do know that sometimes the simpler the better. The children that are 3 and 4 year olds; I do learning activities containing letters, numbers, tracing, coloring, cutting, etc. What are some things that you do with your kids for preschool? How in depth do you get? I'm just curious what others do with their preschool kids during dc hours.
Country Kids 02:01 PM 04-27-2011
Here's my schedule for the day-I have found routine is the best. I also use a pre-packed curriculum(Mother Goose Time) for sanity sake and use a program off the computor(StarFall). The one I use you pay like so much for the year but it is awesome. You can go to starfall and poke around and see a trial version of it before ordering.

6:45=First two arive and breakfast
7:00=Free play while everyone arrives between now and 7;45
8:20=SA go out to bus
8:30:Bathroom time
8:45:Cicle Time (Bible Story, singing, calendar, weather, nursery rhyme, music time:
9:30=Bathroom time/Snack
10:00=Storytime
After this I don't have a set time for things but a routine

Activity from Mother Goose Time
Starfall (ABC's)
Activity From Mother Goose Time
Starfall (Color's)
Activity From Mother Goose Time
Starfall (Calendar/Numbers)
Activity from Mother Goose Time

11:30/12:00 Depending on our morning we have lunch/Bathroom time
Then we go for a walk

1:00=Storytime/Nap
3:00=Up from naps for those who are awake/Bathroom time
3:30=Snack
3:45=SA come home and have snack
4;00=Free play till everyone goes home by 5:30
daycare 03:53 PM 04-27-2011
I learned one thing... dont stress over it.. I used to do the same program but hated having to follow a book all the time and trying to get it all in.

I use the MGT (mother goose time) supplies in many many ways now. I dont always use them for the way that they were intended...

I pair up all the supplies I have and have made some great projects.

We play a lot of games.... like memory, chutes and ladders.... belive it or not, kids love them more than most of the things we do here. and they actually learn a lot more than you would think.

I also teach zoo phonics and the kids love this as well....

plan your days is all I can say... and dont stress about it
melskids 04:31 PM 04-27-2011
i use a play based curriculum, with many aspects of reggio emilia, montessori, and waldorf philosophies.

i give them LARGE blocks of time to explore and learn, on their own terms.

for example, the other day, we made a new batch of playdough.

we started out as a group, pouring, measuring, and cooking. (science)

we added "smellies" (sensory)

we pounded and poked and played with the playdough, even on the floor stomping it with our feet (small and large motor, and sensory)

by this time, most of the kiddos moved on to something else, but one dcg decided to continue...

she added alphabet molds and mats (literacy)

she divided and counted when someone came back and wanted to use some (math)

she shared and made room when they all came back (social skills)

she added "loose parts" i.e.- gems and foam pieces, pipe cleaners, straws, feathers, etc. and made a beautiful masterpiece (art)

she cleaned it all up and swept the floor (self help skills)

2 whole hours later, most would think "that's all you did was play with playdough all morning?"

but we did so much more then just play
daycare 04:39 PM 04-27-2011
We also make a lot of things like this as well... However, I have never allowed the kids to stomp on the playdough becusae we dont have any where to do it..

can I ask where or how you went about allowing them to stomp on it??
melskids 04:46 PM 04-27-2011
part of the flooring in my home is wood, some tile, and some vinyl.

we take off our socks and have at it, whether its playdough, or paint, or whatever....

even if all you have is carpet, you could always put down a shower curtain or vinyl tablecloth...or take it outside

we definetely dont use playdough, paint, sand, or anything messy in the carpeted area
Tags:preschool, preschool - schedule, schedule, schedule - preschool
Reply Up