Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Everything Is Open Thanksgiving......
Country Kids 11:21 AM 11-21-2013
and I'm not talking for Black Friday (almost typed BlackCat-) sales. They are just open!!!

I would boycott but seriously I would never be able to shop anywhere ever again.

The dollar tree is open- and Michaels--.

Seriously who needs to shop at these stores let alone any store on Thanksgiving/Christmas/etc. So sad-

Talked to some of the employees and the companies are paying time and a half so of course employees are signing up to work. I would rather spend time with my family.
e.j. 12:11 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I would rather spend time with my family.
Same here. I think my state is one of the very few that still have "Blue Laws" in effect. I'm sure retail stores would open on Thanksgiving Day if they could but I'm glad they can't - at least for now.
SquirrellyMama 12:36 PM 11-21-2013
We go out on Thanksgiving with family. We enjoy it and have a great time! Not sad at all

This year I'm going to go out with my oldest at some weird hour. She's 12 and loves to shop. It is a great way for us to spend some quality time.

It takes all kinds of people to make this world an interesting place.

Kelly
TheGoodLife 12:43 PM 11-21-2013
I have to work my part time job (at a restaurant) at 3 that afternoon. I know it's a "food" holiday, but I wish people would be considerate and figure out how to stay home for the holiday- buy a premade dinner or something.
Hopefully it'll give good tips at least!
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 11-21-2013
and I'm not talking for Black Friday (almost typed BlackCat-) sales. They are just open!!!
Hey......

I am NOT open on Thanksgiving.

Don't start that kind of rumor or I'll have clients coming out of the woodwork expecting me to work!
cara041083 01:02 PM 11-21-2013
One of my parents sent me a text that said " I will drop DCG off around 9 on Thanksgiving" I replied back "um no its a holiday and its one Im closed. Now shes mad because since she works retail and all the stores are open then why am I closed. Its sad that Thanksgiving is being turned into just another day
BrooklynM 01:09 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Same here. I think my state is one of the very few that still have "Blue Laws" in effect. I'm sure retail stores would open on Thanksgiving Day if they could but I'm glad they can't - at least for now.
Woah! I had to Google "Blue Laws" because I've never heard of them before. I'm blown away that it still exists in this day and time! I can't imagine the government dictating when a certain type of company can be open based on religious beliefs? Wow! Some places you can't buy alcohol on Sunday? Crazy!
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Woah! I had to Google "Blue Laws" because I've never heard of them before. I'm blown away that it still exists in this day and time! I can't imagine the government dictating when a certain type of company can be open based on religious beliefs? Wow! Some places you can't buy alcohol on Sunday? Crazy!
I have never lived anywhere that had a liquor store open on a Sunday.

Car dealerships are also closed on Sundays.

So is Hobby Lobby.
TheGoodLife 01:15 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Hey......

I am NOT open on Thanksgiving.

Don't start that kind of rumor or I'll have clients coming out of the woodwork expecting me to work!

BrooklynM 01:24 PM 11-21-2013

So is Hobby Lobby.
I think I've only ever bought a car on a Sunday, lol. It would be weird to have sales restricted by the government to me based on a religious belief. I can't wrap my head around this. It's so foreign to me. I don't know what Hobby Lobby is- i think it's fine that if a store wants to close on a Sunday or any day for that matter they have every right to and I support a day off, but to mandate it? It's like something out of an old movie or something. I guess I shouldn't be too shocked, California just legalized gay marriage, took long enough!
Blackcat31 03:13 PM 11-21-2013
I think I've only ever bought a car on a Sunday, lol. It would be weird to have sales restricted by the government to me based on a religious belief. I can't wrap my head around this. It's so foreign to me. I don't know what Hobby Lobby is- i think it's fine that if a store wants to close on a Sunday or any day for that matter they have every right to and I support a day off, but to mandate it? It's like something out of an old movie or something. I guess I shouldn't be too shocked, California just legalized gay marriage, took long enough!
Our state just legalized gay marriage too but you still can't buy a six pack on Sunday.
daycare 03:14 PM 11-21-2013
Our state just legalized gay marriage too but you still can't buy a six pack on Sunday.
what!!!!! you can't buy beer on sunday's???????????????
Blackcat31 03:17 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
what!!!!! you can't buy beer on sunday's???????????????
3.2 from the gas station but nothing stronger.

There isn't a liquor store open anywhere in MN on Sundays.

You can go to the bar and drink til you're silly but you can't take it home with you.
daycare 03:18 PM 11-21-2013
3.2 from the gas station but nothing stronger.

There isn't a liquor store open anywhere in MN on Sundays.

You can go to the bar and drink til you're silly but you can't take it home with you.
wow.............its cool to hear how things differ from state to state.

I was in OR and I asked where I can buy the liquor at the grocery store and they told me are you nuts we don't carry that, you have to go to a liquor store......

again, just interesting to hear how different...
Cat Herder 03:20 PM 11-21-2013
Requesting alcohol sales on Sunday here (deep south) would get your business boycotted and your kids ostracized in school. The teachers would be the worst...

We were "dry" until 2 years ago. We are still liquor free. Beer and wine, by the glass, in restaurants only. No bars or package stores in this county. One restaurant managed to get a mixed drink permit by not allowing minors in one closed off section, but they lasted less than a year before closing. No customers.

Yes, we still have active boot leggers. Everyone knows who they are, but nobody has ever "associated with" them if asked.
Country Kids 03:37 PM 11-21-2013
My daughter lives in the last dry town of our state. Its no longer dry but......there are no bars at all. There is a wine bar but its not the hangout place and there is a place called the pub but minors can be in it so to me thats not a true pub/bar.

The funny thing is its an university town! There is literally one stop light, no grocery stores, very few restaurants, 2 gas stations and that is about it. Very interesting little place, quaint and charming and very cute. Wouldn't mine living there at all!
BrooklynM 04:32 PM 11-21-2013
Wow. It is very interesting to see how different things are from state to state! To be honest, I really can't remember buying alcohol on a Sunday except maybe a few weeks ago when I went to a 49er game and had a couple glasses of wine. I think it's more about it not being allowed that is funny to me. It seems like something that I could see happening 50 years ago or something, but not today.

On the other hand, so many people die from drunk drivers, maybe its not such a bad thing....I don't know. It's certainly odd to me, but when I put my "open mind" hat on, I think it would be interesting to visit a town like that and see what it's like.

My husband is from Kansas. We go back there a lot. I just asked him about it and he said that they used to not be able to buy alcohol on Sundays.
BrooklynM 04:34 PM 11-21-2013
My daughter lives in the last dry town of our state. Its no longer dry but......there are no bars at all. There is a wine bar but its not the hangout place and there is a place called the pub but minors can be in it so to me thats not a true pub/bar.

The funny thing is its an university town! There is literally one stop light, no grocery stores, very few restaurants, 2 gas stations and that is about it. Very interesting little place, quaint and charming and very cute. Wouldn't mine living there at all!
When you say "dry" what do you mean? Like they don't allow alcohol in their town? Like the prohibition? Do they carry alcohol in the grocery stores?
Country Kids 04:37 PM 11-21-2013
When you say "dry" what do you mean? Like they don't allow alcohol in their town? Like the prohibition? Do they carry alcohol in the grocery stores?
Yes, no alcohol was sold in the town/county. There is no grocery stores but there is one store that is popular in our state that sells a little of everything. They sell a few grocery style items so the may carry beer but not sure.
hhdc 01:10 PM 11-22-2013

I would boycott but seriously I would never be able to shop anywhere ever again.

The dollar tree is open- and Michaels--.

Seriously who needs to shop at these stores let alone any store on Thanksgiving/Christmas/etc. So sad-

Talked to some of the employees and the companies are paying time and a half so of course employees are signing up to work. I would rather spend time with my family.
I agree it is so sad. Starbucks is open from 5 am to 2 am on Thanksgiving/Black Friday. Can't go shopping without your coffee!! There are very few places that are closed on Thanksgiving around here this year. Barnes and Noble and Nordstroms are two of the last hold outs of the bigger stores around here to be closed.
Country Kids 07:13 AM 11-26-2013
Here is a facebook link to ban Thanksgiving shopping.

The biggest shoppers are the 18-34 year old age bracket.

Some stores aren't even paying employees holiday pay!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boyco...70242469660854
mamac 07:39 AM 11-26-2013

So is Hobby Lobby.
Speaking of Hobby Lobby- We just got our first one a few months ago. While I was in there I was trying to find a signal on my phone to ask my husband's opinion on something when an employee saw me. She told me not to bother because the entire store (except for near the registers) was designed to block cell phone reception. She also told me that if any employee was seen with a phone on them they would be fired.

I'd be interested to know if this is something that every Hobby Lobby does. I know for a fact that this building (store in a mall) had good reception prior to it becoming a Hobby Lobby so something was definitely changed when they moved in. Seems a bit much for an employer to do this to enforce a no cell phone policy for its employees.
CedarCreek 07:41 AM 11-26-2013
I think I read a Facebook post that said Home Depot, Barnes and Noble and SAMs club would be closed on Thanksgiving. I think the store my husband works at is closed too. He works at HEB.

I agree that it is sad that so many are open.
Blackcat31 07:44 AM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
Speaking of Hobby Lobby- We just got our first one a few months ago. While I was in there I was trying to find a signal on my phone to ask my husband's opinion on something when an employee saw me. She told me not to bother because the entire store (except for near the registers) was designed to block cell phone reception. She also told me that if any employee was seen with a phone on them they would be fired.

I'd be interested to know if this is something that every Hobby Lobby does. I know for a fact that this building (store in a mall) had good reception prior to it becoming a Hobby Lobby so something was definitely changed when they moved in. Seems a bit much for an employer to do this to enforce a no cell phone policy for its employees.
Hmm, that's a new one. I don't know how true or untrue that is as our Hobby Lobby has mobile coupons and a great mobile site that lists everything on sale. I use my phone all throughout the store.

I know HL has some really non-traditional rules (not being open in Sundays) because they are a really family orientated store and really push that their employees spend holidays with their families so maybe the cell phone rule is for "their own good" given the preoccupation with phones now days...

If I were you, I'd HAVE to know why so I'd probably ask a manager
Tags:black friday, thanksgiving
Reply Up