Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had a Mom Text Me Yesterday
boysx5 04:23 AM 11-09-2010
to see if I was opened on Thanksgiving and the day after I had to laugh first you have my contract of the days I'm off and who would send their child to daycare on Thanksgiving day
nannyde 04:31 AM 11-09-2010
Tell her no not this year but last year you were and your fee was three hundred per day per child. The child that came had a fabulous time and the parents didn't mind paying it a bit. Tell her you would be thrilled to offer it again ... just let me know.
tmcp2001 04:31 AM 11-09-2010
OMG.

What is wrong with people!?!?!
AfterSchoolMom 04:54 AM 11-09-2010
Does Mom work at a fast food place, restaurant, or gas station? That's pretty much all that's open on Thanksgiving day, right?
juliebug 05:02 AM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Does Mom work at a fast food place, restaurant, or gas station? That's pretty much all that's open on Thanksgiving day, right?
hospital too!
momofboys 06:18 AM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by boysx5:
to see if I was opened on Thanksgiving and the day after I had to laugh first you have my contract of the days I'm off and who would send their child to daycare on Thanksgiving day
Since I don't get together w/family until the weekend of Turkey Day I would be willing to do it but only for double pay (for me that would be about $45/day per child). Chances are anyone working in an industry that is open would more than likely offer time and a half or whatever for working on a holiday so if you are able to do it make it worth your time.
missnikki 06:31 AM 11-09-2010
More than likely she is getting paid a premium at her job, why shouldn't you? Pick a number that makes it worth it to you, and that's your one- time holiday, emergency, private, between the 2 of you rate.
Or finish laughing and smile when you tell her No Way Jose.
MarinaVanessa 06:34 AM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Chances are anyone working in an industry that is open would more than likely offer time and a half or whatever for working on a holiday so if you are able to do it make it worth your time.
Not to mention that for those that are offered holiday pay and they call out or ask for a day off the day before or the day after (in this case Wednesday or Friday around Thanksgiving) then they don't get their paid hoiliday. When I worked at Lowe's it worked this way. If we were closed on Thanksgining for example and we asked for the day before or the day after off then we wouldn't get paid the holiday pay.

Even then I'm sure they have family or a friend that won't work those days that can watch the kiddos for them. Back-up care remember?
boysx5 06:44 AM 11-09-2010
she is a fire fighter but her husband is home so why come to daycare on Thanksgiving I like the charging three hundred a day they can barely pay me for the two days a week he comes
AfterSchoolMom 08:04 AM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by :
hospital too!
Excellent point. I didn't think about that, or about fire fighters either.
nannyde 08:25 AM 11-09-2010
she is a fire fighter but her husband is home so why come to daycare on Thanksgiving I like the charging three hundred a day they can barely pay me for the two days a week he comes
The Dad doesn't want to be home with the kids for two days. He will be happy to do it if he saves three hundred dollars tho. He will be grateful he can do it for free.

Just put a price on it that they won't do. That way you say yes to the request and if they decide to do it you make a crap ton of money in one day. I would definitely keep one of my dck's on Thanksgiving for 300 bucks.
Jewels 09:02 AM 11-09-2010
Most retail stores are starting to open on thanksgiving, I think its kind of sad, save the shopping til the day after, relax and have a day with family at home..........CVS, Old navy, Gander mountain....those ones are open on thanksgiving, and thats just the ones I can think of right now.
DCMom 09:27 AM 11-09-2010
Both of my sons install cable and they have worked on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day because there is a segment of the population that does not celebrate those days, I guess.

I don't have any clients that are not off on Thanksgiving so I don't know what I would do.
laundrymom 10:17 AM 11-09-2010
I would say that "oh no,.. yes I am scheduled off but I have an agreement with my husband that I will only work holidays if I make half of what he makes when he works holidays. So if you are ok with that I will be available. My DH makes 53 an hour on holidays. So for 26.50 per hour I will give up my family holiday time and keep your child. Of coure, they will have to attend our family events,... but no worries, we will be eating really good. =-) I only offer this as a prepay cash policy 8 hour minimum, its not in my handbook or anything. So for 8 hours,.. it will be 212.50~~ 10 is 265.00. Which would you like? Would you like to bring that cash this week or next?"

I actually have done this, had a family of 3 kids,.. they were here 10 hours that day,.. Dad had a meeting in Indy that was a once in a lifetime thing, Changed their stars for sure with that one. and mom was out of town at her fathers who was ill. THEY actually asked how much my dh made holiday, asked if 1/2 of his pay would be worth it. And paid no hassel at all.
I paid for my black friday shopping with that! lol

AfterSchoolMom 10:45 AM 11-09-2010
Wow, you all are making me wish that someone would ask me to stay open on Thanksgiving! I could use $200 bucks!
SandeeAR 11:18 AM 11-09-2010
Family time is just too important to me. I wouldn't keep daycare on my holidays for ANY amount of money.
Unregistered 11:35 AM 11-09-2010
I think its really sad that any kid would be at daycare on Thanksgiving.
kidkair 12:35 PM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Both of my sons install cable and they have worked on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day because there is a segment of the population that does not celebrate those days, I guess.

I don't have any clients that are not off on Thanksgiving so I don't know what I would do.
I'm part of the population that doesn't celebrate Christmas but I do enjoy the day off. I think it's sad that companies are starting to make their employees work holidays. I think their should be 12 postal holidays a year and everyone (aside from emergency and protection personal) should have those days off and we should let those who celebrate holidays use their PTO to get their specific holidays off.

As business owners we can decided when to take time off without consulting anyone. If I wanted to I could take all the holidays I do celebrate off but I actually prefer to celebrate my holidays being surrounded by children.
QualiTcare 01:18 PM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think its really sad that any kid would be at daycare on Thanksgiving.
i'm sure the parents hate it too. they probably have no relatives nearby - and the kid probably doesn't even know what thanksgiving is. it would be really sad if someone's house burned down bc all the firefighters were off work too.

i'm a sucker i guess. if it were just one kid and their parent had a job like that - i'd probably do it. then again, i recently started staying at home and cooking for my own little family instead of going to relatives house which i always hated. i probably wouldn't do it if there would be a dozen or more relatives and i had my own kids to watch during the chaos. so, i guess it just depends on how you spend the holiday.
Tags:texting, thanksgiving
Reply Up