Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Michigan Licensing Info and Wait (Kent County)
threelittles 06:12 PM 05-01-2014
I just submitted my entire packet yesterday. How long can I assume to wait until I am registered and licensed to watch children? I am in Kent County and I am antsy, lol

Also-- Michigan license question: do I need to have a baby gate at the bottom AND top of stairs? Thanks!
Maria2013 06:21 PM 05-01-2014
Hello and welcome
Yes you most definitely need a gate both on the top and bottom of the stairs

I think you can start watching kids, as soon as they assign you an ID number, but I'm not totally sure, lets see what the other say about this
threelittles 06:26 PM 05-01-2014
Ok, so if I plan on using my main level I need a gate at the bottom going up, and at the top of the stairs if I plan to use that area as well?

Also, my finished basement area will be used but I have a door leading down, then I need another gate at the bottom? That's a lot of gates!

I am allowed to watch kids before (up to 4 weeks per year only....or something I think??) but one of my prospective clients requires me to be fully licensed for her HSA.
threelittles 06:27 PM 05-01-2014
Also thanks for the welcome
Maria2013 06:34 PM 05-01-2014
You need a gate on each end, if children will at any given time be there
I use the basement so I need a gate at the top (so they don't fall down when they arrive) and on the bottom (so the kids don't climb up and fall down)

my guess is yes you will need a gate but if you have a door I'm not sure...the inspector will let you know when they come out for the initial inspection.

I'm not sure about how long before you can start watch kids or how long it takes to get licensed, I'll let someone else answer that
Maria2013 06:35 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by threelittles:
Also thanks for the welcome
LOL I'm from Michigan too, I couldn't resist trying to be the first to answer you
midaycare 07:05 PM 05-01-2014
I submitted my package in early February and I'm opening in a few weeks. I will be licensed by then. It's a process! Make sure you get your radon testing done, if you haven't already. That takes a few weeks.

It also took me a few weeks longer than most because I have lived in a few different states and I had to contact each state by mail and ask for a background check - sent back to me my mail, which I then had to mail back to the SOM. Uugh. So if you've recently lived in another state, make sure you start that process.
threelittles 07:16 PM 05-01-2014
I included every piece of information required when I sent my packet in including radon, background, fingerprinting etc. (lived in Michigan my entire life). I am just curious how far out they book the orientation assuming all of my information was turned in correctly.
Childminder 09:13 PM 05-01-2014
Three to six months is the usual turn around from application to license in Michigan.

Yes you will need a gate or door at every level that child could access stairs.
Unregistered 05:31 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Three to six months is the usual turn around from application to license in Michigan.

Yes you will need a gate or door at every level that child could access stairs.
I know that's what the website says but I have heard a ton of people say their orientations were scheduled within just a few weeks. Once orientation is done assuming the home is in compliance you're supposed to get your registration mailed to you within a couple weeks yes?
Maria2013 05:49 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I know that's what the website says but I have heard a ton of people say their orientations were scheduled within just a few weeks. Once orientation is done assuming the home is in compliance you're supposed to get your registration mailed to you within a couple weeks yes?
It's been 9yrs since I applied for my licensed but I don't remember waiting more than a few weeks for them to schedule the orientation
...when I went to my orientation, I was the only one that had already submitted all the necessary paperwork, radon test etc. everyone else there, hadn't done anything yet, so perhaps not everyone follows the same path
Unregistered 06:09 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
It's been 9yrs since I applied for my licensed but I don't remember waiting more than a few weeks for them to schedule the orientation
...when I went to my orientation, I was the only one that had already submitted all the necessary paperwork, radon test etc. everyone else there, hadn't done anything yet, so perhaps not everyone follows the same path
That makes sense. I submitted 100% of my documentation when I applied and sent my packet in (most was already done anyways as I previously worked in healthcare.)
midaycare 07:35 AM 05-02-2014
I had everything done, too (or so I thought), but they kept sending it back for different things. It's snail mail so it can take longer each time that happens. One week for them to get it, one week for them to review, one week for them to mail it back.
Unregistered 10:33 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I had everything done, too (or so I thought), but they kept sending it back for different things. It's snail mail so it can take longer each time that happens. One week for them to get it, one week for them to review, one week for them to mail it back.
What issues did you run into??
melilley 11:34 AM 05-02-2014
I just opened last year. I want to say that I submitted my app and had orientation almost immediately. If you are a family provider, you can open as soon as you go to orientation then licensing will come out within 90 days for an inspection-I had mine less than a month after orientation.
If you are a group home, you have to go to orientation then have an inspection before opening.

All in all I want to say that it only took about a month from sending in the paperwork to opening.

I also want to say that I think they have orientation once a month, but I'm not positive on that.
melilley 11:37 AM 05-02-2014
There is a checklist that you can print off of everything you need to do. Here is the website if you don't already have it

http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7...580---,00.html

Oh and one tip: Don't forget to check the temp of your water! I forgot to do that oopsies!
Unregistered 07:28 PM 05-02-2014
It depends. It didn't take mine long at all to go through, but I've heard of it taking months and that was the estimate that they gave me when I applied.

When they send you a letter about your orientation date, you will need to go to the orientation. At the orientation they will give you a document that you will have to fill out and sign, and then mail back to the dept. Once you have signed and mailed that letter (NOT when they receive it, but the second you send it out. You don't have to wait for confirmation that they received it), you are legally able to start enrolling children. You will receive your actual license in the mail within a few weeks.

You cannot claim children for reimbursement on the food program until your license actually goes through, but you can set up a visit with them before your license goes through so everything will all be set to go.
rebekki78 07:31 PM 05-04-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
If you are a family provider, you can open as soon as you go to orientation then licensing will come out within 90 days for an inspection.
This is true. But I was so nervous that I didn't have everything set that I waited until my inspection to open my doors. It didn't take long after submitting paperwork to do the orientation. It shouldn't be long now And yes, you need to have a gates everywhere! I have a door at the bottom of my stairs, but I also have a not permanent gate that I put up because the children can open the door. I am not sure what the licensing lady said about it, I don't think I even asked.
rebekki78 07:32 PM 05-04-2014
You cannot claim children for reimbursement on the food program until your license actually goes through, but you can set up a visit with them before your license goes through so everything will all be set to go.
I recommend this. I had the food program lady visit a few months before opening my doors, just to get the hang of things and be ready to go when I could open. I wanted all my ducks in a row.
Unregistered 04:00 AM 06-17-2015
I turned in all my information and had my orientation less than a month later. However it's been a month since orientation and I still haven't received my registration. I mailed back my registration statement the same day as the orientation. Anyone know how long to wait before I try and call again?
Tags:michigan regulations
Reply Up