Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Keeps Mentioning Preschool
Boymom 07:45 AM 05-12-2016
Dcm has asked me several times if I'm putting my child in preschool this year. She says it in a way like she's hinting around that she wants to take her kid out of my daycare and put him in preschool. I could be assuming, but she has asked me literally 10 times!

And I finally told her that I'm not putting my child in preschool and I'm going to keep teaching him here. (We can't afford preschool in our area and I don't feel like I need to send him to preschool if he is learning just fine here.)

When I told her that I wasn't putting my kid in preschool, she made a comment that her kid skips numbers when counting and that basically I need to be working with him more on his numbers. I teach them every single day! It's not my fault that he has a ZERO attention span and no matter how much I try to teach him, he acts like he could not care less!!! This kid drives me crazy anyways, so maybe I should just tell them to go elsewhere if they don't think I'm doing a good job....what should I do?
laundrymom 07:58 AM 05-12-2016
"I understand you're frustration. Especially in today's society where so much emphasis is put on facts and memorization. However, the latest studies are showing that relationship based play and enriching experiences last longer than table facts and are actually showing that kids who are allowed to be kids instead of tiny adults grow up better adjusted and have more solid self worth. They also are able to conflict solve and mediate better than the peers who never had the opportunity to learn the skills as small children. So no. I will not be sending my son to a formal preschool. I feel it's best to lay a solid groundwork for a lifetime of learning instead of cave to societies pressures. "
And smile. Big.
Blackcat31 08:37 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
"I understand you're frustration. Especially in today's society where so much emphasis is put on facts and memorization. However, the latest studies are showing that relationship based play and enriching experiences last longer than table facts and are actually showing that kids who are allowed to be kids instead of tiny adults grow up better adjusted and have more solid self worth. They also are able to conflict solve and mediate better than the peers who never had the opportunity to learn the skills as small children. So no. I will not be sending my son to a formal preschool. I feel it's best to lay a solid groundwork for a lifetime of learning instead of cave to societies pressures. "
And smile. Big.

I would also turn the "responsibility" back onto mom.

What are YOU (mom) doing at home to help him learn his numbers? Parents are the child's first and most important teacher.
laundrymom 08:40 AM 05-12-2016
Omg. Your. YOUR. YOUR. NOT YOURE. omg. 😳😫😫
Second Home 08:57 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

What are YOU (mom) doing at home to help him learn his numbers? Parents are the child's first and most important teacher.
Exactly what I was thinking .
Boymom 08:58 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I definitely need to ask her that because I really do think they expect me to do everything from potty training to getting him ready for kindergarten.
Boymom 08:59 AM 05-12-2016
This made me LOL! I didn't even notice it until you said something hahaha!
Missjaime 09:48 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
Dcm has asked me several times if I'm putting my child in preschool this year. She says it in a way like she's hinting around that she wants to take her kid out of my daycare and put him in preschool. I could be assuming, but she has asked me literally 10 times!

And I finally told her that I'm not putting my child in preschool and I'm going to keep teaching him here. (We can't afford preschool in our area and I don't feel like I need to send him to preschool if he is learning just fine here.)

When I told her that I wasn't putting my kid in preschool, she made a comment that her kid skips numbers when counting and that basically I need to be working with him more on his numbers. I teach them every single day! It's not my fault that he has a ZERO attention span and no matter how much I try to teach him, he acts like he could not care less!!! This kid drives me crazy anyways, so maybe I should just tell them to go elsewhere if they don't think I'm doing a good job....what should I do?
I have a family whose boy is just a little older than my youngest, DCM was always asking if I was going to send mine to preschool before kindergarten. I told her that I felt that he would spend enough time in a large group for the rest of his school life and that I think its important for him to have time in a small group to learn to develop good relationships and play skills. She felt she wanted to get her son ready for kindergarten. She now sends him 3 days a week to a large day care center and he still comes to me 2 days a week. It works for them, and is fine with me, as I am otherwise full. I would also tell her that it is very normal for a child to skip numbers as they are learning to count. For each child, these things come at different times. I have seen many children go through my old job (preschool teacher for a state program) who still leave at the end of the year not knowing many letters/numbers or anything. Other kids have no preschool and are perfectly ready for the rigors of current kindergarten (don't get me started on how inappropriate kindergarten has become!). If she wants more than you are providing, she should find that program. You run the program you feel is appropriate.
Good luck!
finsup 10:24 AM 05-12-2016
And smile. Big.
Ugh!! I so wish I had this explanation a few months ago! definitely remembering it next time. But yup, op, this is what I would say too. I had a mom say "we want him to take his education seriously" once which is all well and good but really, the kid was TWO
Leigh 11:54 AM 05-12-2016
As I get older, I find myself constantly misspelling EASY words or using the wrong word. I may have dementia!
Play Care 12:26 PM 05-12-2016
Could it be that she's asking in hopes that if you send your child, her child can get a ride to and from? That's usually why parents ask here, as we don't have a lot of options for preschool.
Lorna 08:17 PM 05-15-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Exactly what I was thinking .
Also what I was thinking. I always tell the parents what we are doing so they can do it at home too. The children that don't pay attention and have no interest in learning seem to be the ones the parents have done nothing at home. Learning at home starts with parents peaking their child interest in learning with reading to them, teaching colours, singing, teaches words, encouraging talking, etc. I have a child here last year before school. Barely knows colours, shapes, barely talking. He has gotten the colours and shapes (and more) from me but it just doesn't stick with him. But nothing is done at home.
lovemydaycare0912 09:16 PM 05-15-2016
Originally Posted by Lorna:
Also what I was thinking. I always tell the parents what we are doing so they can do it at home too. The children that don't pay attention and have no interest in learning seem to be the ones the parents have done nothing at home. Learning at home starts with parents peaking their child interest in learning with reading to them, teaching colours, singing, teaches words, encouraging talking, etc. I have a child here last year before school. Barely knows colours, shapes, barely talking. He has gotten the colours and shapes (and more) from me but it just doesn't stick with him. But nothing is done at home.

I completely agree. My kids are young but I know which parents do things at home with them. I have a 20 month old whose mom works so much with him. He got evaluated and is at a 3 yr old level. He speaks well, knows abcs, 1-21, colors, shapes. Then I have a 2 yr old (27 months) who is delayed and a 16 month old who can't say a word. Not even Hi or Bye. If only parents understood that it starts at home.
Tags:preschool
Reply Up