Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Accidents at School
wdmmom 07:42 PM 11-07-2011
Around noon today I got a phone call from the school nurse. (You know...the one where she tells you she has your child in her office.) Much to my surprise, she wasn't calling because of illness. She was calling because my daughter got hurt while at recess. (This isn't the first time either.)

I can hear her sobbing in the background, which leads me to believe the injuries are more substancial than what the nurse is leading up to.

The nurse tells me that my daughter "fell" while at recess and hit her mouth losing a tooth. (No big deal...it was loose anyway.)

What she didn't tell me was that she fell on cement. She had concrete burn from her nose, clear down to her chin! She has 2 fat lips AND she broke her permanent tooth in half!

Now normally I'm not the type of mom to go lashing out at the school but when I asked the nurse what happened...of course the supervisors didn't see anything and they have no idea. My daughter says she was pushed by a boy in another class yet "no one" seen it.

I'm looking at up to $1,000 in dental work that won't be covered because she has met her maximum benefit already and with having our garage catch fire 2 weeks ago, we really can't afford this!

I'm so irritated with the school for not providing the supervision they should have, for them not having answers, and for the school nurse not giving me the truth about the extent of her injuries!

I understand kids will be kids but at the same time, I don't hear about this type of thing happening to other kids. This is the 2nd time in 1 year that she has been pushed and got some type of facial injury...this injury being far more severe.

What would you do?
familyschoolcare 08:19 PM 11-07-2011
What grade is the child in?

Is this a public or provate school?
Heidi 08:20 PM 11-07-2011
Well, if your school is anything like any school my children have been to, the playground monitors were standing in the middle of the fray chit-chatting while the little citizens ran amok!

I don't have any real advice. sorry! MY son lost a 1/2 tooth last year on the ice, on the school playground. Empathy comming your way....
daycare 08:35 PM 11-07-2011
Several years ago my two older where in Grade school at the time. My daughter insisted on playing with get older brother at recess.

They were playing ball against a wall, along with a few other boys.

My own son hit his sister in the back of the head with the ball,she knocks her face into the wall chipping her two front teeth that just came in.

Cost us a ton..

She's 13 now and just had to replace them again and since it's cosmetic it's not covered by my insurance. She chipped them this time butting into an apple..... Ugh.
Meyou 03:44 AM 11-08-2011
Oh I would be ripping someone a new one! Not because it happened but because they downplayed it so much. Your poor dd.
Kaddidle Care 03:51 AM 11-08-2011
Contact your Board of Education regarding the extra $$ needed to pay the Dentist.

They may be able to help you if they put in an insurance claim.

Don't let it go, contact them immediately.

Poor kid.
SilverSabre25 05:49 AM 11-08-2011
Unfortunately it is this exact kind of thing that is causing so many school to eliminate recess entirely, or to bubble wrap it so much that the kids can't do much of anything.

I'm sorry your DD got hurt, and I'm sorry that the nurse downplayed it; she should have told you exactly what all the injuries were.

The most I would think you could do to/with the school is to go talk to the principal and have them talk to the boy who pushed her and punish him in some way. Other than that, I don't think you're going to get anything from them...and really, I'm not sure you should. You do daycare, you know how hard it is to watch EVERY child EVERY minute. Now remember that the schools have one or two monitors for the entire playground of children...that's a high adult-to-child ratio and injuries happen.

I know you're angry and upset that this happened, but I think your reaction of "they should have been watching" is a little extreme--these aren't two year olds, they are school agers, who have the ability to tell what happened and who was involved.
Tags:accidents, injury
Reply Up