Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Will You Feel That Same Why? Or Am I Just Grumpy?
Unregistered 05:31 AM 08-04-2010
I had a parent enroll her kids in my daycare, their first day was yesterday. She was looking for a new daycare because there was a health issue at her old daycare. So after the interview we set a date for the kids to start on august 9. She comes last Friday at 7:30 p.m. (without calling) and drops off some money and says that she needs them to start sooner(Tuesday). So I told her it was fine. Then she comes Monday again without calling and drops off paper work. Tuesday morning she comes to drop her kids off and instead of paying for the whole week she only pays for 1 day! In the afternoon when she comes for pick up she says that she can only pay per day until her husband gets paid. I said OK that's fine, but only for this week. But then she asks me if there was anyway that the money she paid on Friday can cover her payment for today! And I said No. Now today her kids aren't here! her scheduled drop off time is 6:30 a.m.
because she has to be at work by 7:00 a.m. And this is where my problem starts. I have newborn he's 3 weeks old..my husband and only get about on average 5 hours of sleep at night (IF THAT!!!) Our day starts at 5:00 am and we don't go to sleep until 11:00 p.m. and still have to wake up every 3 hours to take care of the baby. My other daycare kids doesn't come until around 8:30a.m....so we get up at 5:00a.m. to be prepared to receive her kids in the morning. I feel as though if she wasn't bringing them she should have called! And it's only their second day of daycare....and your already trying to skip out on payments by not bring them!!!!!. At this point she already terminated in my book. You guys please tell me what you think. would you feel the same way..or am I just cranky from lack of sleep lol.
swaddlebees 01:17 PM 08-04-2010
Did you call her old daycare and get the real story?

That wouldn't fly for me. at.all
Lilbutterflie 01:28 PM 08-04-2010
Not a good sign at all. I would probably terminate.
MarinaVanessa 01:28 PM 08-04-2010
I would be peeved and I would have to call her to have a chat to make sure that she understood that this was unacceptible. Do you charge weekly regardless of whether they come or not? I have it clearly stated that rates are paid weekly in advance and are based on enrollement and not attendance and if they don't come because of whatever reason (unless it's a vacation and they gave previous notice) then they still pay for that time. If this is how you work and your policies clearly state this then I'd be very strict with her and explain that she still owes for the day she missed even if she didn't bring her kiddo.

Again I would calrify that that I have never let a family pay by the day and was only doing this for her and only for this week and that from then on the fee had to be paid for in advance. I would also make it clear that she was already breaking her contract and that it fell under the terms for termination. I would end it with saying that I would be willing to work these things out with her for this week only and then ask her to read her contract/handbook again and highlight or make notes as to anything that she was unclear of so that I could explain them to her.

Personally this would raise major red flags. 2 days in and she's already shown up annanounced, not paid in full, no communication, no call no showed and changed the way you accept payments. I'd be extremely worried about the situation.
booroo 01:32 PM 08-04-2010
ummm... I would call the old daycare and see what's up... Plus I would terminate. No way in heck would I go for this. But then again. I love my sleep.

Did you call her to see where she was and what happened to them?
TGT09 01:37 PM 08-04-2010
Nope. Done!
Janet 04:13 PM 08-04-2010
My sleep is way too valuable to me to have to wake up early for a daycare family that is already jerking me around!

If the parent is already not paying and it hasn't even been a week yet, then that is definitely a bad sign, too.
judytrickett 04:15 PM 08-04-2010
...................................next!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 08:03 PM 08-04-2010
I agree...I would be highly upset, that is disrespectful. If I were taking my kids to a daycare, I would definitely call if my kids wouldn't be there, especially that early! I have in my contract that they need to tell me if the child(ren) are not coming for the day either by calling or sending me a quick text. I wouldn't want to get mixed up with this family.
Chickenhauler 10:15 PM 08-04-2010
I'd view the one day on, next day no show/no call the same as an employer would....you're not serious about this position, and you're no longer welcome here.

Find someone else to fill that slot that isn't a royal PITA (hours and courtesy).
professionalmom 02:44 AM 08-05-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:
...................................next!
Ditto. How can the honeymoon stage be over before it began?

.......................NEXT!!
DanceMom 04:57 AM 08-05-2010
Ahhh Noooo way !! This all happened in the first couple of days..imagine what the next couple years would be like !!
JenNJ 05:39 AM 08-05-2010
I agree 100% with Chickenhauler
swaddlebees 09:59 AM 08-05-2010
update? ...........
Tags:terminate
Reply Up