Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! I'm Getting a 3 Year Old!
Nisaryn 10:17 PM 04-06-2016
Hello everyone, so...a lady recently contacted me about her 10m old. I do have an opening coming up (another family PCSing :/ ) and so I interviewed her. Lo-and-behold she brought along her 3yr old who ALSO needs daycare and she would prefer that go to the same location for ease of travel...I can see the predicament. So, since I'm technically in my ratio (her infant would give me 3 once this other baby leaves next month which would allow me to have 3 infants and 3 toddlers if I so choose)...on a whim I said OK. My issue is that my oldest child is 11years old and my son is 14months old...I DON'T REMEMBER HOW TO TAKE CARE OF A TODDLER! I'm not sure if my toys would be interesting at all, I don't have many art supplies, nor do I have any 'big kid' type furniture. What are some ideas I could use to make my current set up more friendly for a 3yr old???
CityGarden 10:45 PM 04-06-2016
What will be the ages of all of the kids in your care? Do you have any toddlers at present or will this be your first one? Also what sort of program do you see for yourself ---- play based? All natural? Is plastic okay?

I ask so I can give better suggestions. I LOVED the three year old faze in my daughter's life and it's one reason I am entering home daycare
daycarediva 04:22 AM 04-07-2016
3's are my favorite!

A girl or boy?

Boy-blocks, cars/ramps, little (people) figures, animals, dinos, tracks (car, train).

Girl- kitchen stuff, small bins of stickers, paper, etc. babies & accessories, small dolls/houses, blocks to build
Thriftylady 04:34 AM 04-07-2016
The 3-4 yr olds are my favorite! I say you need blocks, baby dolls, kitchen stuff, anything for pretend play. Books! Don't forget books. Paper, crayons stuff like that.
Lovisa 05:51 AM 04-07-2016
I have a dcb who just turned 4. Such a fun age! He LOVES toys that he can push around (like the toys for new walkers). They are actually meant for little kiddos but I think he likes them more lol! Duplos are a favorite. Books! Play kitchen is a fun thing around here too for all my kids who are from 15 months to 5 years old. Oh, and trucks or tractors or cars! Gotta have those! Have fun!
spedmommy4 06:59 AM 04-07-2016
Originally Posted by Lovisa:
I have a dcb who just turned 4. Such a fun age! He LOVES toys that he can push around (like the toys for new walkers). They are actually meant for little kiddos but I think he likes them more lol! Duplos are a favorite. Books! Play kitchen is a fun thing around here too for all my kids who are from 15 months to 5 years old. Oh, and trucks or tractors or cars! Gotta have those! Have fun!
This was my experience too. I don't take kids under two anymore but, when I did, the older kids always wanted to play with the infant toys. Something about the infant toys is just fascinating.

That said, you can always add a few more things to your program. Right now, you only have one so you can let their interest be your guide. If they are into cars pick up some chunky cars and a ramp. The child will be thrilled that they have special toys that are just for your house.
MotherNature 11:36 AM 04-07-2016
Hmmm. Maybe I'm cynical, but why did she spring the 3 yr old on you? She knew she had more than one kid. Makes me wonder if the kid is going to be difficult.
Snowmom 11:57 AM 04-07-2016
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
Hmmm. Maybe I'm cynical, but why did she spring the 3 yr old on you? She knew she had more than one kid. Makes me wonder if the kid is going to be difficult.
That was my thought too. Did she suddenly remember "Oops, wait, did I mention I have 2 kids?".

Personally, my favorite is 2-3 year olds. The potty training kinda blows, but the curiosity and eagerness is so fun.
I would stock up on art supplies at the dollar store. More than likely, the 3 year old will still be interested in some of the "baby toys" anyway. Especially if they are getting played with by others.
Nisaryn 09:32 PM 04-07-2016
It is a boy, he just turned 3 last month so only just got into that age group. Right now I would have 3 infants with his brother and could have up to 3 toddlers as well but I think I'd rather keep at 5 total instead of the licensed 6. So maybe I would add another toddler just so he has someone to play with. I don't think it was an "oops" moment, I knew she had another child but didn't know she was looking for care for him as well. I should have worded that better, my fault. I just assumed that he was already in care (and he is) but her current provider might be moving and it would be easier if they both just started going to the same place. I was supposed to meet with them again for another play date just to see how he does for the day but they all caught the stomach bug thats been going around (I had it a few weeks ago) so we are waiting till next week instead.

I have tons of infant push toys and those soft cars with wheels for pushing, I do have some art supplies but they are the big round crayons for baby hands and mushy edible play-doh. I don't have any tables that he can sit at, they just cost sooo much and none of my current kids are really able to sit at one yet. I mainly let them just play and utilize teachable moments since they are all so young.
spedmommy4 07:55 PM 04-09-2016
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
It is a boy, he just turned 3 last month so only just got into that age group. Right now I would have 3 infants with his brother and could have up to 3 toddlers as well but I think I'd rather keep at 5 total instead of the licensed 6. So maybe I would add another toddler just so he has someone to play with. I don't think it was an "oops" moment, I knew she had another child but didn't know she was looking for care for him as well. I should have worded that better, my fault. I just assumed that he was already in care (and he is) but her current provider might be moving and it would be easier if they both just started going to the same place. I was supposed to meet with them again for another play date just to see how he does for the day but they all caught the stomach bug thats been going around (I had it a few weeks ago) so we are waiting till next week instead.

I have tons of infant push toys and those soft cars with wheels for pushing, I do have some art supplies but they are the big round crayons for baby hands and mushy edible play-doh. I don't have any tables that he can sit at, they just cost sooo much and none of my current kids are really able to sit at one yet. I mainly let them just play and utilize teachable moments since they are all so young.
Do you have a Costco membership? The one by me now has small heavy duty childcare tables that seat 4 for $20 and the matching chairs for $13.99 a piece.

For one child, I don't know that I would be in a hurry to buy a table right away. Until the little ones get bigger, you could always use your dining table or a little lap desk.
CityGarden 08:27 PM 04-09-2016
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
I suggest visiting Ikea. They have cute little tables (only seats two) that are a great height for toddlers. They are cheap and won't last forever like real classroom furniture but it will do for now.

When my daughter was in that age range she went to a cut home converted preschool they did lots of outdoor time, outside painting available everyday, helped the teach make playdough (no cook) once a week, story time, etc.
Josiegirl 07:26 AM 04-10-2016
Cardboard boxes
Can you get to yard sales for cheap prices? They usually have a plethora of books, puzzles, just about anything. I am biting at the bit for our sales to start around here.
Nisaryn 09:42 AM 04-10-2016
Thanks for the help everyone! IKEA!!!! Why do I always seem to forget about Ikea? Maybe because I've never lived near one before so I keep taking it for granted! But I literally have one that is only a 20m drive! Going to visit Ikea this morning, so excited about since I've only gone twice before. I'll look into a table and chair set and some artsy items, I have tons a books but don't have a book shelf so I'm going to look into getting those spice racks everyone seems to be so crazy about!
Tags:3 year old, mixed ages
Reply Up