Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are You Kidding Me
nikia 10:42 AM 12-07-2010
So mom that owes me from last week Thursday just sent me a text that said I can write you a check but you can please not cash it for a few days because then I will bounce another check.

Wh-h-h-hat. I have not responded yet because I just dont know what to say. Any suggestions what I can say to her. I think my harsh letter that I'm still typing may not be harsh enough
Blackcat31 10:50 AM 12-07-2010
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would almost be tempted to take the check and go directly to her bank, cash it and say "too bad!" about the other check! I honestly think you should just outright ask her why she feels it is ok to put her childcare services at the bottom of her priority list! I would tell her to go ahead and write the check but to include the late fee for every single day she expects you to wait to cash it. I also would not allow her to get anymore services until she has paid you IN FULL (after check clears) and then tell her that because of her bad payment history she will now be required to have atleast a one week deposit paid before any more services will be given so that this situation does not happen again. WOW! Some parents!! As a last resort if you could afford to term her, I would as soon as she pays or check clears.....I am sorry this is happening to you especially right before the holidays. Makes you wanna say things in front of her like "I'm sorry (your child) we can't have a nice Christmas because (DCM) doesn't pay her bills or value the wonderful service I provide to her child!" GRRR!
laundrymom 10:54 AM 12-07-2010
boy do I know what you are meaning here,.....

they want you to stand up and say SURE go ahead,.. make me work for free!!! I only do this because I love children!!!! when the truth is you want to say,.. well,.. No,.. Im sorry but no. I cant accept partial pay, I did not provide partial care....

I have no advice for you but to say,.. ugh,....

maybe say,.. well is there any way you could drop me 1/2 in cash tonight, but not between 6 and 645, I have an interview for an opening I have coming up soon,.... and see what she says?? (( big evil grin))

Originally Posted by nikia:
So mom that owes me from last week Thursday just sent me a text that said I can write you a check but you can please not cash it for a few days because then I will bounce another check.

Wh-h-h-hat. I have not responded yet because I just dont know what to say. Any suggestions what I can say to her. I think my harsh letter that I'm still typing may not be harsh enough

Live and Learn 10:54 AM 12-07-2010
Please tell me that you aren't providing her anymore childcare until she pays this off in full with late fees.
this client needs to pay cash before stay and play.
nikia 10:55 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would almost be tempted to take the check and go directly to her bank, cash it and say "too bad!" about the other check! I honestly think you should just outright ask her why she feels it is ok to put her childcare services at the bottom of her priority list! I would tell her to go ahead and write the check but to include the late fee for every single day she expects you to wait to cash it. I also would not allow her to get anymore services until she has paid you IN FULL (after check clears) and then tell her that because of her bad payment history she will now be required to have atleast a one week deposit paid before any more services will be given so that this situation does not happen again. WOW! Some parents!! As a last resort if you could afford to term her, I would as soon as she pays or check clears.....I am sorry this is happening to you especially right before the holidays. Makes you wanna say things in front of her like "I'm sorry (your child) we can't have a nice Christmas because (DCM) doesn't pay her bills or value the wonderful service I provide to her child!" GRRR!
I feel the same way. I think I am going to tell her she can write the check and then term them. I cant really afford to but at the same point does it really make a difference if she isnt paying me? The other thing is that she just got paid today and she is supposed to pay me for this week on Friday, if she cant afford last weeks pay I know that I will not get paid for this week either. So terming I think is the best thing. Thank you for the advice.
marniewon 10:56 AM 12-07-2010
This! Exactly! I don't know as I would do the deposit thing, as she clearly has no money, or at least no money she wants to spend on daycare, but I would switch her to pay ahead and enforce the no pay, no stay rule! Wow, this whole situation would almost be comical, if it wasn't actually happening! I think you need to hurry up and send that harsh letter!
laundrymom 10:57 AM 12-07-2010
did you already GET the check?>????
like in hand???
I feel the same way. I think I am going to tell her she can write the check and then term them. I cant really afford to but at the same point does it really make a difference if she isnt paying me? The other thing is that she just got paid today and she is supposed to pay me for this week on Friday, if she cant afford last weeks pay I know that I will not get paid for this week either. So terming I think is the best thing. Thank you for the advice.

nikia 10:59 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
did you already GET the check?>????
like in hand???
No I haven't. So I am thinking of writing a term letter and then telling her face to face that she is done. Backbone growing would be great
nikia 11:00 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
This! Exactly! I don't know as I would do the deposit thing, as she clearly has no money, or at least no money she wants to spend on daycare, but I would switch her to pay ahead and enforce the no pay, no stay rule! Wow, this whole situation would almost be comical, if it wasn't actually happening! I think you need to hurry up and send that harsh letter!
Isnt it crazy since my other thread was a letter to her that I was typing up today. Oh I think a glass of wine is in order at 6 tonight and I rarely drink
laundrymom 11:03 AM 12-07-2010
No I haven't. So I am thinking of writing a term letter and then telling her face to face that she is done. Backbone growing would be great
~~~~~~~ sending the backbone,... I was going to say if you had the check to call bank and cash if you can,... let HER deal with the pieces. (been there, done that) then text her and tell her sorry, already cashed it.

since not I give you loads of backbone,.. are you terming today??
Crystal 11:03 AM 12-07-2010
Get the check, go to the her bank and ash it THEN give her her termination. Otherwise, she'll stop payment on the check.
Blackcat31 11:05 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Oh, I think she has money, I just think she doesnt think she should have to pay daycare......at least not on anyone's schedule but hers! I have definitely found that out the hard way that most parents who are horrible payers are usually just horrible budgeters and have the money, they just don't prioritze very well! They seem to be the ones that have the nicest cell phones, newest clothes and are always running....
I also agree with PP about using the interviewing another family tactic!
YES!! HURRY AND SEND THE HARSH LETTER!!
nikia 11:07 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
~~~~~~~ sending the backbone,... I was going to say if you had the check to call bank and cash if you can,... let HER deal with the pieces. (been there, done that) then text her and tell her sorry, already cashed it.

since not I give you loads of backbone,.. are you terming today??
Thank you

Originally Posted by Crystal:
Get the check, go to the her bank and ash it THEN give her her termination. Otherwise, she'll stop payment on the check.
I think that is what I will do cash the check and then term tomorrow. You would think since she has to see me face to face she would be more embarressed and just let the other check bounce??? I dont know I know I would do that
Blackcat31 11:10 AM 12-07-2010
Wonder where she wrote the other check? If it is her house payment I understand...NOT RIGHT, but I get it, but if it was to McDonald's or something I'd be sooooooo pissed!!!
nikia 11:11 AM 12-07-2010
Oh, I think she has money, I just think she doesnt think she should have to pay daycare......at least not on anyone's schedule but hers! I have definitely found that out the hard way that most parents who are horrible payers are usually just horrible budgeters and have the money, they just don't prioritze very well! They seem to be the ones that have the nicest cell phones, newest clothes and are always running....
I also agree with PP about using the interviewing another family tactic!
YES!! HURRY AND SEND THE HARSH LETTER!!
I think she has the money too. So I am finishing up my harsh letter and a term letter
Cedar 11:21 AM 12-07-2010
Yes...I have the same problem! The best part about my situation is she is a my son's friends MOM! I provide care at a discount because our son's attend the same class and she was "Stuck" for care..however, she has yet to pay me and keeps coming up with excuses about why she hasn't paid me! I feel like flipping out but don't want to risk my son getting wind of all this crap! I would NEVER pay someone late, let alone a "friend"! UGGGG...so gross!

People are so inconsiderate of Family Daycares! They would never get away with this at a group daycare! They would be kicked out until full payment is made! uggggg....
nikia 11:25 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Please tell me that you aren't providing her anymore childcare until she pays this off in full with late fees.
They are supposed to be here tomorrow which is why she has to pay me today, but not with the exception of not cashing her check
momofboys 11:26 AM 12-07-2010
I know you are mad & you have the right to be but DO NOT give her a term letter until you have her check & it clears; otherwise you may never get paid what is due you! And make sure to tell her she needs to add in late fees for each day you are "holding" her check.
nikia 11:27 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I know you are mad & you have the right to be but DO NOT give her a term letter until you have her check & it clears; otherwise you may never get paid what is due you!
I agree, thank you.
safechner 11:32 AM 12-07-2010

Ohhh! If it were me, I will tell her sure I will take the check today and go to her bank to cash it and hand her a term letter the next day. It is not worth your time to have deal with her like that next time.
kidkair 11:52 AM 12-07-2010
I'd charge late fees for the time requested to hold on to the check. I would also not provide care until the check clears. I would still charge her for the time I was waiting for the check to clear as well. Then I would insist she pay cash prior to care. If she's not willing to abide by the pay ahead then I would term.
TGT09 12:04 PM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
THIS!!! Holy cow, you have some very disrespectful families! I'd be overnighting that letter you were writing!

I had a mom make a comment to me one time that she always makes sure she pays her daycare FIRST! Your parents could learn a thing from her!
nikia 12:20 PM 12-07-2010
I have check in hand and am leaving my hubby with the few kids I have to go cash the check lets hope it clears
Crystal 12:22 PM 12-07-2010
be sure to keep us posted! lol! GOOD LUCK!
momofboys 03:03 PM 12-07-2010
I have check in hand and am leaving my hubby with the few kids I have to go cash the check lets hope it clears
Please KUP! Did she pay the late fees? One question, does she think you are "holding" this check or was she talking about holding the check she is supposed to give you on Friday. Either way I hope it clears!!!
nikia 04:25 PM 12-07-2010
Okay so here is the story I didnt have time to type it before when I updated saying I had the check.

She brought me the check and said that she didnt want to spend the $3 to cash it at wal-mart and that she didnt want to drive across town to deposit her check into her bank so that is why her other check would bounce. I told her that I wouldnt hold the check for that reason. So she said fine I guess I will go to my bank and deposit it. So I went and cashed it after she left and it went through. She didn't pay any late fees but at this point I am ready to cut my losses and find a new family to replace them. They have only been here a few months and have never paid on time, but it has never been this late before either. Had it been one of my other families who have always paid on time and always been respectful I wouldnt have thought twice about keeping the check but she owed me since last Thursday and I have repeated problems with her.

On another note do you think that having younger parents makes a difference in the way they treat you? The ones I have problems with are all 21,22 and 23. I mean I am only 30 and had my first baby at 23, I always paid my daycare provider, she was right with the house, electric and food. So not that younger people cant be respectful I just wondered if a majority of them do not understand the importance of what we do and how we depend on our income?
Crystal 04:48 PM 12-07-2010
Oh, wow, she wanted you to wait EVEN LONGER to be paid, because she was TOO LAZY to go deposit the check???? Oh, heck no. I'd give her her walking papers tomorrow. I wouldn't even let her stay for the day.
Crystal 04:49 PM 12-07-2010
And, the younger parent thing may be true for some, but I have never had that issue wih any of my parents, no matter their age.
Unregistered 06:07 AM 12-08-2010
Is she paid up now or does she owe you anymore money? If she is paid up I would NOT watch her child anymore I would send her an email TODAY and tell her due to her lack of respect of your daycare policies her child will be termed as of TODAY.
Tags:bounced check, late payment, non-payment
Reply Up