Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Backtalking
Jenjo 10:32 AM 07-07-2010
How do you handle back talking in your daycares.
Janet 10:45 AM 07-07-2010
Isn't it lovely when they start that? lol

How I handle it is largely dependent on the child's age.

For toddlers who aren't too verbal, I keep in mind that they have a limited vocabulary, but I will tell them to use nice words. It's repetition at this point. Just developing the good habits and trying to head off the not so great ones.

For kids that are older, I've been lucky to not have to deal with much backtalking at all. If one of the kids starts being sassy, I usually just say "let me stop you right there, OK? I'll be happy to listen to what you have to say if you can say it nicely, but if you keep being sassy with me, then I'm not going to listen." This works pretty much every time and I think that it helps them to be able to express anger without getting in trouble for talking back.

Now if anyone knows how to stop a 14 year old girl from talking back, I'm all ears, lol!
Bizzymom1111 10:51 AM 07-07-2010
I'm dealing with the same thing from some of my dck's and what I've been doing is treating it as any other rule that's been broken. I give them a warning that they need to either speak nicely to me or not at all and if they sass again, it's on the time out! I have zero tolerance for back talking at my house.
AmandasFCC 11:36 AM 07-07-2010
I had a 9yo boy who was starting to get sassy with me. I was always pleasant with him UNTIL he started getting attitude, at which point I sternly tell him "I will not tolerate that attitude, if you carry on, you're going to be parked under a tree reading a book for the rest of the night". That always worked with him.
jen 11:44 AM 07-07-2010
Depending on the age...

I give them the one raised eye-brow look and say, "excuse me?" Generally that works!
Golden Rule 11:48 AM 07-07-2010
I use my moms advice. "Pick your battles. As long as they are doing what they were asked to do (cleaning up toys, putting on shoes, finishing up an art project etc.), let them run their mouths all they want." (this is with adolescents/age appropriate behavior....sometimes even co-workers/employees... )

Obviously there is a difference in the "mumbling/complaining" VS. "obstinate/ in your face" back talk. This requires a parental partnership/disciplinary plan, IMHO.
Janet 12:34 PM 07-07-2010
I know that I make my daughter mad so I let her express her anger, unless she starts to get rude and then it's on!!! She has this habit of being snotty in front of daycare kids and despite telling her over and over that kids are observant and I cannot have the inmates running the asylum, she continues to be snotty. I'm learning, though, that sending her to her room to huff and puff and curse me is effective for keeping the dcks from seeing her act out. She got smart with me last week and my dcg3 tried to put her in time out! Dcg3 told my daughter to cool her jets!!! It was pretty funny!!! It's a different dynamic with my own kid and my dcks.
Tags:back talk
Reply Up