Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long For Meals And Snacks?
newtodaycare22 09:38 AM 03-09-2011
How long do you allow in your schedule for breakfast, lunch and snack?

My kids used to be done w/breakfast, lunch and snacks in 15 minutes each, now they are talking more and it's turned into 30 minutes for the major meals. I know most schools allow 30 and that's fine if they are eating and not playing Just wondering how long your kids take (mine are all 3-5yo).
lil angels 09:44 AM 03-09-2011
Depends on what we are eating normally between 20 and 40 min I try to curb all the talking if it gets out of hand. I will just get the kitchen cleaned up while they eat and are busy that way. win win
squareone 11:39 AM 03-09-2011
I "schedule" 30 minutes for meals and 15 minutes for snacks but those who truly want to eat are usually done within 15 minutes. I have a one very slow/poor eater who ends up playing most of the time. Mine are between 18m-4y. I used to allow the older ones to get up from the table as they are done and go play while the others finish up. Recently though, I've been making everyone sit for at least 15 minutes before anyone can get up. I do this because once the fastest eater is done and gets up to go play, then everyone else wants to go play instead of eat so they say they all say they are done when they truly aren't. It seems to be working.
DCMomOf3 11:45 AM 03-09-2011
Snacks are gone in 10 minutes although I schedule 15. Lunch I schedule 30 for eating. Some are done very early some are still messing with the food on their plates at the 30 minute mark. I have everyone sit until we are all done eating. Then I clean up the toddlers while the PTed kids go to the bathroom and wash up. My kitchen and dining area are a floor above the playroom so I need the kids on the same floor I am on and this is the way that works best for us.
Abigail 11:49 AM 03-09-2011
We have a slow eater, but most are done within 20-30 minutes. I would say 30 minutes is plenty and you can eat at the next meal if you're not done. When our kids are done eating they get dismissed one by one to use the bathroom and wash hands and go lay down on their cots. Sometimes we have one or two kids still eating and some have fallen asleep. This is a nice peaceful time of day!
daycare 12:18 PM 03-09-2011
I give the kids 30 min for breakfast and lunch, 15 for snacks. I have started setting a timer and when it goes off meal time is over... They have all learned to stop playing and eat their food.
SilverSabre25 02:12 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
I "schedule" 30 minutes for meals and 15 minutes for snacks but those who truly want to eat are usually done within 15 minutes. I have a one very slow/poor eater who ends up playing most of the time. Mine are between 18m-4y. I used to allow the older ones to get up from the table as they are done and go play while the others finish up. Recently though, I've been making everyone sit for at least 15 minutes before anyone can get up. I do this because once the fastest eater is done and gets up to go play, then everyone else wants to go play instead of eat so they say they all say they are done when they truly aren't. It seems to be working.
this, although our ages are between 16 months and 3.5 years. My slow eater is the 16 month old and it drives me batty because he gets hysterical if I leave his sight or even, some days, get up from the table, while he's there. It makes for a very, VERY long meal/snack time. I've started waiting until the next slowest is done, and then just making the 16 month old be done because otherwise he'd hold me captive for an hour
nannyde 02:21 PM 03-09-2011
about ten to fifteen minutes for breakfast
Lunch is about twenty
Snack about ten
Abigail 05:20 PM 03-09-2011
I just finished a Food and Nutrition course and it said 20-30 minutes for meals and 5-15 minutes for snacks. When the child starts playing with food and when they walk away from the table they are done until the next meal.
Tags:meal time, meal time length
Reply Up