Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vacation This Week, Problem...
AfterSchoolMom 05:07 PM 04-18-2011
My kids are on spring break this week and I have the whole week off. On Friday a friend called and asked if I'd keep her child all weekend - Fri. night to Sunday afternoon. I did. Now another friend has asked if I'd watch her kids tomorrow night for several hours.

How do I break it to my friends nicely that I absolutely do not want to babysit anyone else's children this week? That I'm on break and want to enjoy the time? I don't want to hurt my friend's feelings, but I really don't want to do it, for purely selfish reasons.
daycare 05:14 PM 04-18-2011
oh man you are so entittled to your time with your family..... Crazy how no one ever stops to think about you needed a break from kids.. Yes we love them, but we also love a break from them too.

I would just say I'm sorry I have made famliy plans for the week. Leave it at that
youretooloud 05:16 PM 04-18-2011
Just say "Oh, I'm on vacation this week, I'm not watching any kids, but next week, I'd love to!"

You can't be the ONLY one they can ask.. right? I'm sure they won't even mind if you say "no...sorry". They don't have any idea that you have a life outside of kids.. so, if you point out that you want to enjoy your family, they will be happy for you. They might even ask for your kids for a night so you can have some alone time.
cheerfuldom 05:24 PM 04-18-2011
Just say no! Tell her you have some special things planned with the family and you aren't going to be babysitting at all this week. She is welcome to call if she needs help during daycare hours. Sounds like you are way too nice in general.
Live and Learn 07:20 PM 04-18-2011
Just use these words, "No, I have a previous commitment."
Lucy 10:20 PM 04-18-2011
You just lightheartedly answer "Didn't you hear? I'm on vacation!" Then divert the conversation and start talking about things you're going to do, whether it's going somewhere or getting closets cleaned out.
QualiTcare 10:36 PM 04-18-2011
people think that "stay at home mothers" don't work. i used to be part of that group. in fact, i still don't see why on earth anyone would rather stay at home than work and the other day i bought a coffee cup from Hallmark that says, "i considered being a stay at home mom until i discovered the kids would be there too!"

they don't think you need a break. "all you do" is stay at home. i still for the life of me can't figure out why anyone would want to stay at home, but i can figure out why they'd need a break from kids after doing it. just say NO!
Meyou 01:54 AM 04-19-2011
I would just be honest and say that this week I need a break from all kids but next week...bring them on!
boysx5 02:37 AM 04-19-2011
I just had this happen to me yesterday and I'm working but I always get can you get my kids off the bus I have a dr. appt and won't be home to get them. Well first make your appt. earlier so you will be home and no I don't want to get your kids at the bus that is why I don't do SA children but my own so they can walk home themselves. I just started saying no but some still try to its frustrating
AfterSchoolMom 04:35 AM 04-19-2011
Ok, so I can't just use "previous committment" because this is a very close friend, and she already knows what my committments are, and will even be around for some of them.

Like I said, I mainly don't want to hurt her feelings. Maybe I am too nice.
momofboys 04:51 AM 04-19-2011
If she is a true friend she will understand. I once had to have aheart-to-heart with a friend of mine who liked to ask me to babysit in the evenings. Keep in mind I had kids in my home from 7 am until almost 5:00 pm 5 days a week. I had to nicely tell her that I would love to watch her kids in the evenigns for her date nights BUT after having 4-5 kids in my home for 10 hrs a day the evenings had to be time with only me & my family.
MsMe 05:01 AM 04-19-2011
The thing that most people don't understand is that while we LOVE kids they are also our JOB. Why don't you ask her do do what ever it is she does for a living any extra 10 hours this week....and for free.

I live alone and and am childless. It took many years for my friends to stop asking me to watch their kids at night and on the weekends. One really didn't get it after several talks untill I started askign her a million questions and favors bc she is a Vet tec and I have two dogs. Once I was 'using' her the problem went away.

I love my job but that s exactly what it is a JOB and I don't have to work more than the 55 hours a week I already do.
MyAngels 05:36 AM 04-19-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Ok, so I can't just use "previous committment" because this is a very close friend, and she already knows what my committments are, and will even be around for some of them.

Like I said, I mainly don't want to hurt her feelings. Maybe I am too nice.
Say: "You know I love your kids, and any other time I would love to help you out, but I've taken this week off to spend spring break with the family. Thanks for understanding."

Since she's a true friend, there should be no hurt feelings.

Enjoy your week off!
missnikki 06:26 AM 04-19-2011
I agree with the honest heart-to-heart.

"I hope you understand that I love little ____, but I think I really need this time I planned to be able to do things without being responsible for kids. I never mind when you ask, but sometimes I might not be up to it or might be busy. Thanks for understanding."
AfterSchoolMom 09:15 AM 04-19-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I agree with the honest heart-to-heart.

"I hope you understand that I love little ____, but I think I really need this time I planned to be able to do things without being responsible for kids. I never mind when you ask, but sometimes I might not be up to it or might be busy. Thanks for understanding."
I like this. Thanks.
Tags:vacation
Reply Up