Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice On What To Do
Mrs.Ky 07:05 AM 05-17-2011
Ok I have had a daycare boy since he was 7 weeks old he will be 2 next week. Mom gave me 2 week notice last week on Friday because his Dad's hours changed at work he will now work till 6pm and couldnt be here til 6:30pm I close at 5:30pm. Mom gets off at 5pm but has to pick her girl up at after school, then they have soccor twice a week and tutoring twice a week they have to be there by 6pm and I live the other way so she cant pick him up. I really need the money but I dont really think I wanna work an extra hour a day when I already work 10 hour days but I havent gotten one response from my ad and its been up for a few days now I thought about offering to watch him an hour longer each day but for 25 more a week but then I dont wanna regret it what would you do?
MN Day Mom 07:12 AM 05-17-2011
I guess before you thought to hard on this you would want to first find out if it would be something the family would be interested in. I'm guessing they have already made alternate arrangements, so I would first see if this is an option they'd even want to entertain.
Mrs.Ky 07:16 AM 05-17-2011
She is looking for alternate care now she hasnt found anything as of yet. Im pretty sure she would take me up on it as we have never had a problem and like I said ive had her Son almost 2 years.
Mom_of_two 07:23 AM 05-17-2011
Hi- I think it just depends on what you feel will work for you. I am very rigid about my working hours. I had occasions of opening a little early (which cut into my morning workouts which is my main 'me' time) and working late (which did not allow me to start dinner to have ready when hubby gets home as i'd like) sooo just decided to keep it 7-5. That is a 10 hour day, and I know now I am NOT willing to work more than that!! At all!! Lol. So I just keep to my parameters and trust that the right family will come along when I have spots to fill. If they can't fit into my hours they are not right for me, it isn't negotiable for me at all- if a current family now needed later, even if I love them, they would need to find new care. For me my own family time (morning and evening, and my me time) is too important, and i'm not willing to give more that 10 hours a day. Keep us posted!
KEG123 07:25 AM 05-17-2011
I personally wouldn't stay open an extra hour for one child. Would you be feeding them dinner too?? Because I know that for me, dinner is started pretty soon after the last kid walks out.
wdmmom 07:29 AM 05-17-2011
I wouldn't. If another family found out I was working until 630pm, they would expect me to do the same for them just so they could have another hour to themselves. As it is right now, most of my DCK's spend 3 hours of awake time with their parents and the rest of the day with me. I wouldn't even consider working that late...ever! These parents need to realize that they can't have their kid in daycare for 10-12 hours a day. Providers need down time, most have families, and other things to tend to after work....like shopping for groceries, laundry, school functions, etc. And 90% of the time I don't feel like doing those things either!
sharlan 07:31 AM 05-17-2011
IF it were me, I'd talk to the parents about keeping him an hour later. Do you have older kids that could help keep tabs on him while you get dinner going?

I've always been pretty flexible with my parents, that's just me.
nannyde 07:44 AM 05-17-2011
I don't know if you transport but could you meet her somewhere in between to drop off the kid to her?
Mrs.Ky 07:45 AM 05-17-2011
I told DCM I was entertaining the thought she said she would take me up on it but doesnt wanna cut into my family time she is right I need to think about my family and not just money. I just didnt wanna let the little boy go either but I know he is gonna have to go I will miss him but there are always new ones that come along.
missnikki 08:48 AM 05-17-2011
Yeah, I think let it go.

Think of it this way: dad took a job knowing your schedule. He didn't ask you first, he just took it. It isn't your responsibility to make sure his new job jives with having kids. It's too bad that you aren't getting bites on your ad yet, but if you don't stick to your guns, you might regret a lot.
MamaBear 09:51 AM 05-17-2011
Ive done this before and totally regretted it. One more hour being open makes a BIG difference. You will eventually find another daycare child to take that place with great hours. I would say dont do it. You'll regret it later.
Tags:hours - too long, longer day
Reply Up