Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Show Clients & Morning Wake Up Calls?
PitterPatter 06:38 AM 05-18-2011
What do u do when your clients don't show up? I don't get paid unless they are here and I have a couple clients that can't always wake up on time. I used to give them a courtesy call and they would jump out of bed. Then 1 day I was so busy, I too lost track of time and 1 DCM was angry and actually asked me why I didn't call her. I told her that I do run a daycare and I lost track of time with other kids. She was mad and said "now I am late for work and if I get fired u lose a kid!" I have never called her again after being scolded!

Now today I have 2 no shows and they are the only kids scheduled for the day. I thought about calling but I don't really think it's my resposibility. Sure I am doing nothing right now but if I start giving mnorning wake up calls again it will probably become expected again. Even now I sit here waiting for a phone call from a DCM scolding me because I didn't call to wake her up. What would u do?
kitkat 06:44 AM 05-18-2011
If it's a responsible familiy and it's out of the ordinary for them to not show up, then I'd call after being 1/2 hour late b/c I'd be worried about them. However, if it's a family that is not very responsible, I probably wouldn't call. I would give them x amount of time and if they didn't show up, then I'd go on with my day. It has never happened to me, but I think that's what I'd do for the irresponsible family. The responsible family part actually did happen...I called and left a message at home b/c it was so unusual to not get a call or for them to be late. Dad called me on his cell to say mom was in a car accident and they are on their way from the accident. I'm glad I called b/c I was worried.
laundrymom 06:54 AM 05-18-2011
I actuallyhave in my contract that if they are later than an hour, with no call I consider it as a paid day off and will make alternative plans outside of daycare.
wdmmom 07:02 AM 05-18-2011
I had a family that was suppose to be in at 615am daily. The rest of the crew wouldn't come until 7am or later. After getting up too many days at the crack of dawn and not getting informed that DCG wasn't coming, I implemented a $10 convenience fee to be charged in addition to their daily rate if the didn't call, email or text before their child's scheduled drop off time. I've only had to charge it once!
PitterPatter 07:04 AM 05-18-2011
The DCM that has scolded me is late a lot! She has told me she sets her alarm for 15 minutes before she has to go out the door and that's why she's late a lot. THAT to me is irresponsible right there! She has a toddler to get ready that alone took me more than 15 minutes. So she is always late at her job by a few minutes at least she has to be there at 9:00. These hour or more late days are usually only a few times a month but still. She is even late picking up once a week or so and when it comes to pay day she will haggle about the last dollar when in fact technically she owes me for many late fees which I keep letting go because she's having money troubles. Her scheduled day here is already a 10 hour day. I stay open later everyday just for her so anything over that 10 hr mark just ticks me off and now this.

Yesterday she made me miss my Drs Appt because she never showed up or even called. I schedule all appts after daycare so as not to impose on parents for early pick ups and such. When I sent a text asking if she was coming to pick her kid up her reply was "yep" I replied back "ok how soon I have a Dr appt now?". She ignored it and walked in all cheery 20 minutes later walked right past me and greeted her kid with a cheery hello. Then whens he sees me standing there pissed and I say I missed my appointment! she says " oh sorry" takes her kid and says see ya tomorrow. Well now is tomorrow where is she? Not here! I should make her pay the $25 fee I now have to pay the Dr for not showing up on time.

Sorry turned into a vent.
wdmmom 07:06 AM 05-18-2011
Oh, and because they are no call, no shows, do what you want today! I know if my families didn't show up or call, I'd be out and about doing whatever my heart desired!

No point in hanging out all day waiting!!! Do what you want...and if you get a call do what they did to you.

If they call and say they are in your driveway, say...

"Oh, sorry. You didn't call this morning so I was under the impression that Johnny Boy was staying home with you and considering I don't have anyone else in attendance, I made other plans for the day."

That oughta give them a clue!!!
cheerfuldom 07:07 AM 05-18-2011
I think you need to revamp your contract so that this type of situation is not allowed. I would require payment whether they are there or not and put other limits so you are not stuck being at the beck and call of your daycare families. I agree that this DCM is outrageous but you are sort of setting yourself up for this type of thing when your policies are not bullet proof.
AfterSchoolMom 07:08 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I actuallyhave in my contract that if they are later than an hour, with no call I consider it as a paid day off and will make alternative plans outside of daycare.
Absolutely YES to this, and YES, I definitely think you should charge her the $25 for the doctor fee.
PitterPatter 07:12 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I think you need to revamp your contract so that this type of situation is not allowed. I would require payment whether they are there or not and put other limits so you are not stuck being at the beck and call of your daycare families. I agree that this DCM is outrageous but you are sort of setting yourself up for this type of thing when your policies are not bullet proof.
I am not allowed to charge for days not here. They are state paid. I have been doing this for 5 years and it wasn't until last yr they started allowing the late pick up fees.

I have also discussed with the resource center about the late/no show clients. I explain sometimes we have planned a zoo trip and a client has been a no show do I have to wait around or can we go on the trip? They say I have to wait. If they are scheduled to come and I leave and they complain I could lose my certificate.
SilverSabre25 07:16 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I am not allowed to charge for days not here. They are state paid. I have been doing this for 5 years and it wasn't until last yr they started allowing the late pick up fees.

I have also discussed with the resource center about the late/no show clients. I explain sometimes we have planned a zoo trip and a client has been a no show do I have to wait around or can we go on the trip? They say I have to wait. If they are scheduled to come and I leave and they complain I could lose my certificate.
Pitter, are you also the one where you're not allowed to take a day off (not even a national holiday like Christmas) without providing back-up care for the parents?

If so, man...your state sucks. I'm sorry, but that's just awful! I can't believe it! Making everyone else's day miserable because of one person's irresponsibility is just...reprehensible. What a dumb policy. No offense.
PitterPatter 07:22 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Pitter, are you also the one where you're not allowed to take a day off (not even a national holiday like Christmas) without providing back-up care for the parents?

If so, man...your state sucks. I'm sorry, but that's just awful! I can't believe it! Making everyone else's day miserable because of one person's irresponsibility is just...reprehensible. What a dumb policy. No offense.
Yes that's me too. I know it sucks!

Oh well I will just change into old clothes and do some more spring cleaning.
Meeko 07:42 AM 05-18-2011
I'm still not sure that you can't legally do something about the state telling you how to run your day care.

The state is helping low income people to pay their day care. OK. That's between them and the parent.

But if there is a late fee, an inconvenience fee, etc.....that is between YOU and the parent and is no business of the state at all.

I feel they have no more business telling you you can't charge for this and that...than they have telling Walmart that they must drop prices just for welfare recipients.

If the state wants to help parents pay for groceries in the way of food stamps...then that's OK...but they can't tell the grocery store they have to stay open later just for welfare recipients, or have special deals only for welfare folks.

I see no difference other than the fact that Walmart wouldn't stand for it. You day care providers need to get together and take a stand. Write letters by the dozen. Call local news channels and have them do an article (state leaders hate to be embarrassed). One provider doesn't have a voice (and they take advantage of that). But in numbers you can make a noise. Have the self-pay parents back you all up. have THEM write letters and make noise.

It won't change as long as you all sit there and take it.
momma2girls 07:45 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I added the same thing about 2 yrs. ago, I was sick and tired of waiting all am for families to come. Now after one hr. I go on walks, etc.. if they come oh well. I had one family contracted for 7:45 and he showed up at 10:00 and I wasn't here, no phone call, no nothing, they were really mad!!!
PitterPatter 08:18 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I'm still not sure that you can't legally do something about the state telling you how to run your day care.

The state is helping low income people to pay their day care. OK. That's between them and the parent.

But if there is a late fee, an inconvenience fee, etc.....that is between YOU and the parent and is no business of the state at all.

I feel they have no more business telling you you can't charge for this and that...than they have telling Walmart that they must drop prices just for welfare recipients.

If the state wants to help parents pay for groceries in the way of food stamps...then that's OK...but they can't tell the grocery store they have to stay open later just for welfare recipients, or have special deals only for welfare folks.

I see no difference other than the fact that Walmart wouldn't stand for it. You day care providers need to get together and take a stand. Write letters by the dozen. Call local news channels and have them do an article (state leaders hate to be embarrassed). One provider doesn't have a voice (and they take advantage of that). But in numbers you can make a noise. Have the self-pay parents back you all up. have THEM write letters and make noise.

It won't change as long as you all sit there and take it.
They aren't running my daycare I have the option to not accept state paid clients. It's very unfair but I have come to see how I am stuck. I have triple checked into this and it is true for STATE paid clients. They say it is MY OPTION to sign up with the proram and if I do I am required to follow THEIR RULES if at any time I decide it is unfair I have the option to drop out of the state program and no longer accecpt state paid clients. I can do whatever I want with private paying clients but state pay I have to follow the state regs.

When L brought this up at a recent class some other people didn't know it was true so we all discussed it with the trainer. Some people say they don't care as they don't have family anyway. Other sat there looking mad. Others like myself voiced our opinion but were told we can go home right then and hand out 2 week notices if we don't want to participate any longer.

After class I told a couple upset people we should write a letter about it being unfair and all sign it to start with. They opted out because they NEED the income (so do I as I am a single Mom living only on my income) and they didn't want to rick the boat. So here I sit and have just accepted it. Come Thanksgiving & Christmas I will be taking the day off and not providing back up and if a parent needs care I will simply tell them they have to provide it themselves. (I know for a fact 1 does work on Christmas) If they complain to the state and state comes in then I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I provide excellent care for these kids tho so I am hoping no one calls in to complain and maybe the state just won't know.
daycare 08:31 AM 05-18-2011
this used to happen to me when I had a family who was sch. for 615am and then would call me at 6:20 to tell me that their kids would not be here until 9:00 or so. They did it to me all the time I would get so mad. I woke up for nothing again. I didnt know what to do, because they were calling, just waiting til the last min to call me. I ended up terming the family.

any suggestions on how to handle the above situation?

I always make sure to remind families that they are scheduled with contracted hours. Sometimes I print them out give them a reminder.

In my PHB it states that any family that does not report by 8am late or absent will be charged for a full day. For those that show up, but late, and don't report that they will be late will get a $15.00 charge.

Like Nannyde says once you attach money to it, the parents start to wake up and smell the coffee...
PitterPatter 08:37 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
this used to happen to me when I had a family who was sch. for 615am and then would call me at 6:20 to tell me that their kids would not be here until 9:00 or so. They did it to me all the time I would get so mad. I woke up for nothing again. I didnt know what to do, because they were calling, just waiting til the last min to call me. I ended up terming the family.

I always make sure to remind families that they are scheduled with contracted hours. Sometimes I print them out give them a reminder.

In my PHB it states that any family that does not report by 8am late or absent will be charged for a full day. For those that show up, but late, and don't report that they will be late will get a $15.00 charge.

Like Nannyde says once you attach money to it, the parents start to wake up and smell the coffee...
If they are private pay or your state allows then I would attach a fee there too. For my private paid I had in my handbook:

If your child will be arriving late for any reason, please inform me as soon as possible so the day’s activities won't be held up waiting for your child to arrive. It is not fair to the other children in daycare to sit and wait for late arrivals or a child that may not even show up at all. If your child arrives more than 30 minutes late, a $5 fee will be applied. We have schedules to keep.

You could also say something like they have to call u before xx time to inform u they will be late or a $5 fee will be applied.
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

My policies are as follows:

"Parents MUST notify me a minimum of 60 minutes before their scheduled arrival if their child will not be attending. If you do not notify me within that time frame, you will be charged for the full day.

Notice is required if you are going to be later than your sceduled arrival time. (max. of 30 minutes) anyone who is later than 30 minutes or fails to notify me will be recorded as absent and your space for the day will be filled."

So if someone didn't call or was a no show, I would not accept them into care that day. I require a 60 minute forewarning of any absences because this ensures the parent was awake and spent time with the child in the morning. If you call 30 minutes before saying you are staying home, you get charged. Simple as that. I have had no issues with failure to notify.

I have had a few who have come more than 30 minutes late with out calling, but I turn them away at the door and simply tell them that since they did not notify me of their lateness, I assumed they were not coming and filled their space for the day (even if I really haven't ) Seems people who do this never do it twice.
PitterPatter 08:50 AM 05-18-2011
[quote=Blackcat31;112390]My policies are as follows:

"Parents MUST notify me a minimum of 60 minutes before their scheduled arrival if their child will not be attending. If you do not notify me within that time frame, you will be charged for the full day.

Notice is required if you are going to be later than your sceduled arrival time. (max. of 30 minutes) anyone who is later than 30 minutes or fails to notify me will be recorded as absent and your space for the day will be filled."

So if someone didn't call or was a no show, I would not accept them into care that day. I require a 60 minute forewarning of any absences because this ensures the parent was awake and spent time with the child in the morning. If you call 30 minutes before saying you are staying home, you get charged. Simple as that. I have had no issues with failure to notify.

I have had a few who have come more than 30 minutes late with out calling, but I turn them away at the door and simply tell them that since they did not notify me of their lateness, I assumed they were not coming and filled their space for the day (even if I really haven't ) Seems people who do this never do it twice.[/QUOTE]

I tried that with a private paid client in the past and it didn't work. I text the DCD back saying I had to fill his spot since he didn't show up or call. DCD brought his kid anyway 2 hours late because he overslept. He looked around the yard and said "hmmm... 1, 2, 3, .... u are allowed 6 kids so whats the problem?" I couldn't come up with anything fast enough! He called my bluff and I had to take the kid! I am not a good at fibbing.
daycare 09:04 AM 05-18-2011
I dont take drop in, so I would not have the option to say sorry I filled your spot. I think maybe I could put a fee in place that might help.
Mrs.Ky 09:08 AM 05-18-2011
I think you maybe misunderstanding the state rules with vouchers. It is true the state does not pay for when the parents arent there, holidays,vacations, late fees, etc. but YOU have every right to charge the parent and the parent has to pay for it parents also have to pay a co pay of whatever the voucher doesnt cover in the daycare cost. I did vouchers for awhile but stopped it was to much keeping up for me.
Cat Herder 09:12 AM 05-18-2011
My contract says the drop off time is over at 10am. My program is based on a calm and consistent environment. Having folks in and out all morning is not conducive to that goal.

By 10am kids have already missed Breakfast, Art and Morning Circle time. 10am is morning snack..... My policy reads "No Drop-off After 10 am. One drop-off and one pick up, per family, per day."

I do allow for late drop-off, with advance notice, for well baby checks. Parents bring new Immunization Form with them at drop-off. Win-Win for all of us.

My full-time rate is Weekly and not attendance based. I do not charge enrollment fees or require a termination notice. I have a substantial wait list.

I really am not concerned with who pays me, just that fees are paid in full before child attends. If fees are not paid by Monday the slot will be filled from my wait list.

I am not a State employee with State Retirement or Medical Benefits. If that ever changes my attitude about it will change as well. I am not fond of those who take without giving. If the State expects me to give up income, they better give up something as well for me.

IMHO, Having children is not mandatory, I work to meet the needs of my family and I do not work for free.
Blackcat31 09:26 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:

I tried that with a private paid client in the past and it didn't work. I text the DCD back saying I had to fill his spot since he didn't show up or call. DCD brought his kid anyway 2 hours late because he overslept. He looked around the yard and said "hmmm... 1, 2, 3, .... u are allowed 6 kids so whats the problem?" I couldn't come up with anything fast enough! He called my bluff and I had to take the kid! I am not a good at fibbing.
WOW! I guess I do not have parents that are that rude or ballsy! I cannot believe he would show up anyways! I probably would have said the "filler" kid was on his way. But I guess that is where I am different I can lie like the best of them if need be....or I just say NO. Which works better FYI. LOL!!

Plus, I am lucky as I have children who come and go through out the day for swim lessons and other activities so it would be impossible for a parent to count my kiddos.

Must be my age because I find myself taking less and less sh*t from people as the years go by and I have no issues telling it like it is.

I try to avoid dispensing any medications but serving doses of reality is my specialty!
cheerfuldom 09:55 AM 05-18-2011
wow, it sounds like you really are stuck. sorry, I wish I had some advice Can you talk to any other local providers and see if they have found a way around this type of situation?
PitterPatter 10:23 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by Mrs.Ky:
I think you maybe misunderstanding the state rules with vouchers. It is true the state does not pay for when the parents arent there, holidays,vacations, late fees, etc. but YOU have every right to charge the parent and the parent has to pay for it parents also have to pay a co pay of whatever the voucher doesnt cover in the daycare cost. I did vouchers for awhile but stopped it was to much keeping up for me.
Sadly I am not misunderstanding the rules. Some of u probably think I am crazy or "misunderstanding" but honestly I am not. EVERY state is dif I have come to see. I have some free time today I may just scan the book and show u guys

The only thing I can charge them is the fee their certificate states is the parent portion. (co-payment for service)

A 1 time registration fee (which I tried and parents just go to the next guy in line because they didn't charge a reg fee.)

Fee for late pick up.

Transportation fees (if I have to transport their children to/from school.)

And charges for time used but not covered by the program. (when they are off for the day but want daycare)

It states: If a provider requests deposits, supply fees, activity fees or other fee not mentione above please contact the CCRR.
safechner 10:28 AM 05-18-2011
I think it would be best for you to find a new child replace your dck's spot and terminate her. To me, it is joking because she have NO respect you! Making sure you don't take state paid for your next new clients. Just thought..
Sugar Magnolia 10:54 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I agree. Don't be her alarm clock, that's absurd. I have a center, its a small, family-like center. Our clients pay on Friday for the following week. If they don't show up, that's free money. My thinking is: clients pay to have that spot available. If its available and they don't use it, that's their choice and it won't hurt my bottom line if they are a no-show.
Kaddidle Care 11:24 AM 05-18-2011

Cat Herder 03:58 PM 05-18-2011
Oh, Kaddidle....I love it

Can I steal it??
missnikki 04:41 PM 05-18-2011
I keep clicking 'OK', but everyone is still here. (joke, peeps)

Good one, Kadiddle!
Kaddidle Care 07:27 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Oh, Kaddidle....I love it

Can I steal it??
I don't know.. I nicked it off the net. Steal at your own risk.

I was really looking for Ahnold as the Terminator but that one caught my eye.
PitterPatter 08:03 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I don't know.. I nicked it off the net. Steal at your own risk.

I was really looking for Ahnold as the Terminator but that one caught my eye.
No not him because he says "I'll be back"

We don't want the bad clients back right?
Cat Herder 05:39 AM 05-19-2011
Not to mention his recent, ummmm, issues.
daycare 08:42 AM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Not to mention his recent, ummmm, issues.
and I wonder why my state is in such a mess.....lol CA is sooooo broke
Tags:no show, terminate
Reply Up