Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Call Me Cranky But...
Zoe 01:24 PM 10-06-2011
this is the second time this week that my 2nd shift dcm has been over an hour late with no phone call. On Monday I called her as I was concerned. She called back saying, "yeah...I don't work until 4:30 so I'll be there late." Her contracted hours are 2:30-midnight. NO apology or anything. Grrr. Whatever I brushed it of with a comment to her about advance notice being appreciated. Well here it is...3:30 and no call no show. I'm assuming she's going to be here at 4, but since she didn't say anything, I'm tempted to not be home.

Yes, I'm cranky today so I'm more annoyed with it than I normally would be. What do you do with those parents who disrupt your schedule and your day? In this case it's my family time! My time to get out of the house! I will NOT be held hostage here all evening waiting for her.
Blackcat31 01:28 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
this is the second time this week that my 2nd shift dcm has been over an hour late with no phone call. On Monday I called her as I was concerned. She called back saying, "yeah...I don't work until 4:30 so I'll be there late." Her contracted hours are 2:30-midnight. NO apology or anything. Grrr. Whatever I brushed it of with a comment to her about advance notice being appreciated. Well here it is...3:30 and no call no show. I'm assuming she's going to be here at 4, but since she didn't say anything, I'm tempted to not be home.

Yes, I'm cranky today so I'm more annoyed with it than I normally would be. What do you do with those parents who disrupt your schedule and your day? In this case it's my family time! My time to get out of the house! I will NOT be held hostage here all evening waiting for her.
I'd leave. You already warned her about advance notice and she isn't complying so I would leave and tell her that you already said something about it and since she never notified you about any changes, you made plans.

If you do that you will only have to do it once because they some how miraculously "get it" after that.

Plus you're cranky and this is the easiest most effective way to get your point across! LOL!
Zoe 01:31 PM 10-06-2011
If my daughter didn't come home from kindy at 4, I would leave. I might be immature and just not answer the door. I'm trying not to "act in anger" as others warned.
kathiemarie 01:32 PM 10-06-2011
I would leave. I had to do that to a parent once. I have a drop off time of no later than 9 am. (if they were going to be late I asked for a phone call) After several mornings waiting for the dad (missing out on some activies) he was late again so I left the house right at 9 am. He had to call me to find out where I was, boy did I make sure I was far, far away, to be able to bring his child to me. NEVER again was he late.
Zoe 01:49 PM 10-06-2011
So I thought about it and I can't leave. My daughter is going to be home at 4 so I need to be there and I've got an interview at 4:30. But my DH suggested he open the door if/when she gets here and tell her I left, not allowing dcg into the house. Here's hoping he gets here before she does. I really want to make a point here. Silly or not.
Kaddidle Care 01:53 PM 10-06-2011
So long as she is paying you for 2:30 until midnight then you should be there for her. Ask her if she wants to amend the contract so you know where you stand.
Blackcat31 01:59 PM 10-06-2011
I hear ya! I hate when this type of stuff happens. Would if help to charge her a late drop off fee or maybe a fee for not notifying you of changes? I would maybe let her know that if she doesn't drop off when she said, that you will not accept the child even if she shows up. Tell her she MUST call or you won't answer the door. Hope she gets your point.
daycare 02:23 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I hear ya! I hate when this type of stuff happens. Would if help to charge her a late drop off fee or maybe a fee for not notifying you of changes? I would maybe let her know that if she doesn't drop off when she said, that you will not accept the child even if she shows up. Tell her she MUST call or you won't answer the door. Hope she gets your point.
Blacktcat31, you have been in detention for a really long time....lol just what did you do? Or didnt do?

I would define a cut off time. I have this in my program wehn I am teaching. No child will be dropped off after 9:45am, no exceptions. It is suggested that if you need to take your child to the doctors for any reason that you schedule your appointments towards the end of our daycare day. Any drop off or pick-up that is to occur outside of your nomal contracted hours must be arranged in 24 hours in advance with the provider.
Blackcat31 02:28 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Blacktcat31, you have been in detention for a really long time....lol just what did you do? Or didnt do?

I would define a cut off time. I have this in my program wehn I am teaching. No child will be dropped off after 9:45am, no exceptions. It is suggested that if you need to take your child to the doctors for any reason that you schedule your appointments towards the end of our daycare day. Any drop off or pick-up that is to occur outside of your nomal contracted hours must be arranged in 24 hours in advance with the provider.
LOL!!! I don't play well with others.

Actually, I think I am the responsible party that deleted the venting thread. I'm not positive, but I am taking one for the team.
countrymom 02:28 PM 10-06-2011
its not the point that they are paying, its the fact that we have to sit around and wait and wait, while we can be doing other things. So yes you have every right to be angry. Get dh to answer the door.
daycare 02:34 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
LOL!!! I don't play well with others.

Actually, I think I am the responsible party that deleted the venting thread. I'm not positive, but I am taking one for the team.
lol.....its ok I almost deleted a "hot topic" post a few days ago.... If I keep at it, I am sure i'll end up joining you in time out...lol It just really made me giggle..
wdmmom 03:03 PM 10-06-2011
Would love an update!

Did your DH answer the door?!
sharlan 03:22 PM 10-06-2011
Tell the mother that effective immediately, have the paper ready to sign, that you will be charging a late arrival fee if you are not notified x hours in advance.
Doodlebug 03:23 PM 10-06-2011
If she has given you permission to transport her child, put a note on the door and go to a park so she has to chase you around a little bit. If she says something just tell her you didn't think she would mind since she was so flexible with her schedule? If you really wanted to make things even a little more challenging, happen to "forget" her child's things back at your house so she has to go back again to get them.

Then be nice and tell her you will only bill her through the time you guys were at the park.

Oh I think I'm feeling a little snarky today too. I have some parents that tell me their schedule is going to be different tomorrow and knew I wouldn't mind...
Zoe 03:51 PM 10-06-2011
Update: She never even showed up! It's safe to assume she's not coming tonight since she's over 3 hours late. So I finally called her and left a voicemail (clearly in an annoyed tone) asking her what was going on. I said that I needed to know when she was dropping off and I was no longer going to be at the house. I asked her to let me know if she was no longer needing my care or if this was just a no show for today.

Hopefully she'll get back to me. Because if she shows up on Monday (the next scheduled day) without so much as an explanation, I'll be really upset.

I take good care of her child! I don't charge a late fee when something happens at work (she's a nurse at a senior center). Why can't she have enough respect for me to inform me when she isn't going to bring her daughter here?!?

I like the idea of a cut-off time or a late drop off fee. I'll have to think about this.
Kaddidle Care 04:25 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
its not the point that they are paying, its the fact that we have to sit around and wait and wait, while we can be doing other things.
Oh yes it is the point that they are paying. If your contract says you are being paid from 2:30-midnight then you must make yourself available and be ready.

She was a no-show today but I would still expect to be paid for the day. The whole entire contracted day.

What we have here is a lack of consideration and I'm not sure how to instill that other than going over your contract and amending it to work better for you.
Zoe 07:32 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Oh yes it is the point that they are paying. If your contract says you are being paid from 2:30-midnight then you must make yourself available and be ready.

She was a no-show today but I would still expect to be paid for the day. The whole entire contracted day.

What we have here is a lack of consideration and I'm not sure how to instill that other than going over your contract and amending it to work better for you.
I was paid for the week on Monday so I did get paid for today. And you hit the nail on the head about the lack of consideration. Well she called at 8:30 finally saying that her boss gave her the day off then she went out and her phone died so she didn't have my number. Lame excuse if you ask me...but whatever. She didn't show any remorse about inconveniencing me like that but she called me back at least. I'm going to be looking into how to keep this from happening again so I'm prepared on Monday.
sharlan 07:38 PM 10-06-2011
What about telling her that if she doesn't call or show within say 30 - 45 mins, you will assume she is not coming and go about your day?
Kaddidle Care 06:09 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
I was paid for the week on Monday so I did get paid for today. And you hit the nail on the head about the lack of consideration. Well she called at 8:30 finally saying that her boss gave her the day off then she went out and her phone died so she didn't have my number. Lame excuse if you ask me...but whatever. She didn't show any remorse about inconveniencing me like that but she called me back at least. I'm going to be looking into how to keep this from happening again so I'm prepared on Monday.
In her mind, you're the hired help. She paid you so she won't feel any remorse at all. I think the only way you're going to fix this one is if you offer her a discount for giving you a head's up within "x" hours prior to 2:30.

I had a similar problem with doing some after school care. I'd rush home to be there for the child and then she'd never show. When I called and followed up to track her down I'd find out that relatives picked her up for the day. The Mom did pay me for my time but yeah, I understand how you feel. I didn't need to rush back and could have planned a longer day doing what I wanted with my own child.

Again, it's a lack of consideration thing. She doesn't see past her own little world so you could have a chat with her but I doubt it will do any good. Fix it or term.
Tags:annoyed, late arrivals
Reply Up