Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terrible Interview And Attention Seeking DD
SunshineMama 05:48 AM 06-14-2012
I had an interview last night with the nicest lady and her sweet daughter. It was for part time, two days a week. Dh was supposed to come home and watch our kids so I could interview, but he got stuck at work.

The whole time I interviewed, dd, my usual big helper, was a monster! She interrupted, demanded drinks, knocked over an indoor tree, and was just obnoxious. I sent her to her room and she wouldn't even stay. She will be 4 next week. I was mortified and so distracted by her behavior I didn't do well for the interview.

How do you handle interviews with others when your own kids are acting up? I was not prepared with a special distraction activity bc I planned on Dh being home.

Maybe it was a blessing. The girl clinged to mom the whole time and mom is with her all week. Mom kept referring to her as her little baby (she was 2), and mom said she went off on her previous provider for taking a walk with the child to the park. Maybe dd knew something I didn't lol?
Blackcat31 06:07 AM 06-14-2012
I would expect that any mother knows that children always act up precisely when you want them not to.

I would also suspect that as a parent she knows full well that kids behave oddly when around their parents.

If she doesn't understand that simple concept than I would take your DD's behavior as a blessing in disguise as it may well save you from a PITA client....kwim?
shana 06:23 AM 06-14-2012
My son always acts horrible at interviews. I have teenagers(woohoo) so even if my husband isnt here I send him outside with one of them. so no advise on how no handle acting up.( I think they just want attention). but anyone who tells me about going off on a provider would send me a red flag. Whats wrong with walking to the park?? So it might be all for the best. sorry!
DaisyMamma 06:50 AM 06-14-2012
Can't go for walks to the park? Sorry, my house, my daycare, my rules. Thanks for coming, theres the door.p
spud912 07:10 AM 06-14-2012
I remember during one of my first interviews, my dd flipped out and ended up in time out on and off the entire time, while she was screaming. I apologized profusely for her behavior and was beyond mortified. I was even more surprised and relieved with the mom wanted to sign up with me!
Mom&Provider 07:30 AM 06-14-2012
Don't you just love when your own kids act up at just the right moments!? Mine have too....in fact pick-ups and drop-offs continue to be a bit of an issue some days with my own son acting out! Anyway, I'm sure, like others have said, as Moms we kinda expect it! I'm sure her daughter isn't always so clingy and acts out too!

I usually have my own two little ones go out with their Dad also when I have interviews, it's easier and no issues, but in your case fell through this time. Maybe try something your daughter really likes and doesn't have access to all the time - play-doh or something and have her sit at a table near by so she feels included to some extent?

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much...sounds like maybe it's better if this one chose to pass!
MsMe 08:24 AM 06-14-2012
Can't walk to the park Oh my!!

We walk to the park (several different ones) EVERYDAY we can!

I don't transport by car so if we could not walk we would NEVER leave the house....

Right now I am waiting for my only morning napper to wake so we can head out on our daily adventure!

Good luck with other interviews.... I would say NEXT!
littlemissmuffet 08:35 AM 06-14-2012
Did you ask WHY she flipped on her daycare provider for taking her child for a walk to the park? Maybe we're all missing something. I couldn't have let that one go without asking the mom why she was so mad...

Agree with PPs, I could never have a child in my care who wasn't allowed to go on walks. We go for a walk almost every morning and we walk to the park every day too. We LOVE walking!!

Maybe your daughter was "saving" you!
daycare 09:32 AM 06-14-2012
I have not read everyone's response, but here is what I do.

when I have an interview and my son who is 4 will be present, I use him as my model. I will have a few activities that we show the parents, some that I know my son can do very well at. Then together we show them. My son eats it up and he just loves the attention they give him.

I run the families through our day and I let my son assist the whole time. Some of the times he will just get bored helping and go in his room. Sometimes he will walk the families through the entire interview.

All of the families are IMPRESSED... I don't see why my son can't help me with the interview, he is fully able to do so. throughout my day, he is my little helper, so I think he feels he needs to be included and I agree.

It's like the can't beat them join them thing... If you can't beat the bad behavior, get them involved with what you are doing.
cheerfuldom 10:56 AM 06-14-2012
I have had my kids present during interviews but yes, they sometimes do act crazy and take the opportunity to be ridiculous. Overall they do pretty good.

Besides that, I would not be okay with the babying from mom or the complaints about a provider taking a child for a walk. I always think it is strange when parents have a problem with me taking the kids for a walk (or even in the backyard!). Thats just way too much of a helicopter mom for me and you can bet she would have been hovering over a million other things too.
SunshineMama 11:38 AM 06-14-2012
Okay, thoughts???

The lady just requested a background check on me through care.com. Of course I said okay, but- do I even want to take this child part time? Given the details I provided earlier- thoughts?
SunshineMama 11:41 AM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Did you ask WHY she flipped on her daycare provider for taking her child for a walk to the park? Maybe we're all missing something. I couldn't have let that one go without asking the mom why she was so mad...

Agree with PPs, I could never have a child in my care who wasn't allowed to go on walks. We go for a walk almost every morning and we walk to the park every day too. We LOVE walking!!

Maybe your daughter was "saving" you!
She said she was upset about the park because the provider should not take her child on a walk without asking her permission each time first.
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Okay, thoughts???

The lady just requested a background check on me through care.com. Of course I said okay, but- do I even want to take this child part time? Given the details I provided earlier- thoughts?
Regardless of how the mother treats her child when the child is with you, the only thing that really matters is if she is going to be willing to follow YOUR policies. If she knows you take daily walks and agrees to it, then there should be no issue there. If she refers to her DD as her baby but the child acts her age at your house...then no issues there either....know what I mean?

Why not take this opportunity to lay it out there to the mom. This is how I do things and when you sign my contract, that is the way it will be....so be very clear about your rules/policies to her and give it a shot. The worst thing that could happen is she won't compy which would earn her termination papers so.....

Plus, you do have a two week trial period dont you? I say give it a shot....based on the fact that your own DD was a totally different person during the interview should tell you the potential dcg's behavior may not be normal either.

Oh, and fwiw~ the dcm saying she "went off" on her previous provider about taking a walk may just be that the provider hadn't been clear that they leave the property for walks regularly so she could have been surprised that she wasn't initially told that. Which is why I say be VERY clear about you policies and any questions she has BEFORE you sign her on so she knows what to expect. Like I said, if it doesn't pan out after the 2 weeks trial period...let her go.

Ya never know what could be if you don't try.

..just read your other post ....so I would explain to her that she needs to sign a blanket permission slip since you won't be notifying her and asking her permission every day. NOT feasible when you have other kids to care for. If she wants specific permission to be granted with each incident, she needs to hire a nanny.
itlw8 11:50 AM 06-14-2012
That is the regulation in my state. Parents need to be informed if you leave the premisis.It does not matter if it is walking or in a car.

t
e.j. 12:02 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Okay, thoughts???

First impressions aren't always what we'd like them to be. Maybe they were having an off day, too? It may be that the little girl isn't normally clingy but was during the interview because she was in a new environment and there was a lot going on with your own child? Personally, I'd give it a shot if I needed the money. You can always let her know if it doesn't seem to be working out. Do you have a policy regarding trial periods?

I'd also follow Blackcat's advice about being upfront with the mother about your policies. See what she thinks and go from there.
daycare 01:03 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Regardless of how the mother treats her child when the child is with you, the only thing that really matters is if she is going to be willing to follow YOUR policies. If she knows you take daily walks and agrees to it, then there should be no issue there. If she refers to her DD as her baby but the child acts her age at your house...then no issues there either....know what I mean?

Why not take this opportunity to lay it out there to the mom. This is how I do things and when you sign my contract, that is the way it will be....so be very clear about your rules/policies to her and give it a shot. The worst thing that could happen is she won't compy which would earn her termination papers so.....

Plus, you do have a two week trial period dont you? I say give it a shot....based on the fact that your own DD was a totally different person during the interview should tell you the potential dcg's behavior may not be normal either.

Oh, and fwiw~ the dcm saying she "went off" on her previous provider about taking a walk may just be that the provider hadn't been clear that they leave the property for walks regularly so she could have been surprised that she wasn't initially told that. Which is why I say be VERY clear about you policies and any questions she has BEFORE you sign her on so she knows what to expect. Like I said, if it doesn't pan out after the 2 weeks trial period...let her go.

Ya never know what could be if you don't try.

..just read your other post ....so I would explain to her that she needs to sign a blanket permission slip since you won't be notifying her and asking her permission every day. NOT feasible when you have other kids to care for. If she wants specific permission to be granted with each incident, she needs to hire a nanny.
I agree with cat here..
You can't always judge how a child will be during the interview. Children always act differently around their parents, we all know this.

I have had people complain to me about how their old provider was doing, does not mean that they were a bad provider, just means that they did not offer the services that the parent was looking for. Taking kids for a walk is not a bad thing at all and does not make them a bad provider. But the parents did not agree with the providers policy on the lack of notification when they took them. I would say I have to agree. As a mother, I would want to know where my child is at all times.

I have a rule that all parents will know at least 24 hours in advance if we will leave the daycare by vehicle. The may get a same day notice at drop off if we decide to take a walk on foot.
I think that the mom agrees with your policies and this is why she is asking you to do a background check. I would go for it and like BC said I would offer the 2 week trial. If y ou feel it is necessary, extend your trial period to 3 weeks..... I do this for kids that are part time or if I feel iffy about anything.

Just be straight forward about your rules and policies...
spud912 01:17 PM 06-14-2012
I try not to judge a child's behavior during the interview unless they are aggressive. As far as the mom goes, I agree, lay out your policies and feel her out. Just listen to your gut during the trial period and if there are too many flags, terminate without any guilt.
momofsix 06:55 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have not read everyone's response, but here is what I do.

when I have an interview and my son who is 4 will be present, I use him as my model. I will have a few activities that we show the parents, some that I know my son can do very well at. Then together we show them. My son eats it up and he just loves the attention they give him.

I run the families through our day and I let my son assist the whole time. Some of the times he will just get bored helping and go in his room. Sometimes he will walk the families through the entire interview.

All of the families are IMPRESSED... I don't see why my son can't help me with the interview, he is fully able to do so. throughout my day, he is my little helper, so I think he feels he needs to be included and I agree.

It's like the can't beat them join them thing... If you can't beat the bad behavior, get them involved with what you are doing.
what a great idea!
christinaskids 09:07 PM 06-14-2012
Actually the worst interview i ever had, they are currently one of my daycare families. Both the parents and children are wonderful. Mom was super understanding even though ive never been more embarassed. Anyone with children knows they act up at the most inoppirtune times. If its meant to be, then it will happen.
Reply Up