Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Gross And Need Advise
MommyofThree 10:18 AM 09-24-2012
Ok so my friend is my assistant. I have complained and discuss her abilitys when it comes to washing my dishes. I told her she must wash them better. Well she has since I said something to her. Ialso notice she is not very worried about germs. All my daycare children has a cold and I tell her please wash her hands. I have caught her not washing her hands.

WELL today I asked her to go get a one year old for lunch and she goes in the room to get her out of the playpen and says gross, as I walked in to see what was gross she throws something. I said what did you use to wipe her nose ? She says her stuff animal. Well ewwww for one second I go over to my sons bed who is nine and he is in school because I use his bedroom as the naproom with the play pens in there. Well I see my sons sock folded and tossed on his bed. I picked it up and theres snot in it WTH are you kidding me. I said eww u used this and tossed it on his bed. She says no it was her stuffed annimal, as if thats ok. She lied cause I seen it. How gross. Why would someone do that. I need to fire her. How I need back up first I am so lossed as to why a normal person would treat their friend this way. Why would a normal person even do such a thing. HELP
lovemykidstoo 10:31 AM 09-24-2012
I just threw uo!!!
MommyofThree 10:40 AM 09-24-2012
I know right I dont get it. What person does that
Oneluckymom 10:52 AM 09-24-2012
How many kids do you care for. If you have a large daycare, well then you do need a replacement first. If it was possible to just let her go...I would!

I would give her a warning...that if she does not be more careful with sanitation and cleanliness that she would have to go elsewhere.

This is totally unacceptable behavior coming from a provider !
MommyofThree 10:54 AM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
How many kids do you care for. If you have a large daycare, well then you do need a replacement first. If it was possible to just let her go...I would!

I would give her a warning...that if she does not be more careful with sanitation and cleanliness that she would have to go elsewhere.

This is totally unacceptable behavior coming from a provider !
Unfortuntly I have more then six children so I need a replacement first Yep it is so gross. And to toss it on my childs bed. wow
lovemykidstoo 10:54 AM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by MommyofThree:
I know right I dont get it. What person does that
A demented one!! LOL! Keep in mind, this is only what you have seen or she has told you. Imagine what you don't know. I would get rid of her today!!
Hunni Bee 10:58 AM 09-24-2012
Her views of cleanliness are not the same as yours and unfortunately not on par with working in a childcare situation. Some people are just not concerned with cleanliness.

She needs to go. She's had enough warnings. We are heading into cold and flu season, and you dont need her spreading germs all over like that.

Start looking for a replacement now.
MommyofThree 10:59 AM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
A demented one!! LOL! Keep in mind, this is only what you have seen or she has told you. Imagine what you don't know. I would get rid of her today!!
ewww you made my skin crawl This is so true to:{
MommyofThree 11:00 AM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Her views of cleanliness are not the same as yours and unfortunately not on par with working in a childcare situation. Some people are just not concerned with cleanliness.

She needs to go. She's had enough warnings. We are heading into cold and flu season, and you dont need her spreading germs all over like that.

Start looking for a replacement now.
I am thank you. I just put an ad up so we shall see.
rhymia1 11:02 AM 09-24-2012
Wow! That is gross! If I could not get a replacement I would seriously consider letting however many children I needed to go so I didn't need her (and you probably have a couple that are paying for her anyway). She will damage your business if you allow her to stay
MommyofThree 11:11 AM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:
Wow! That is gross! If I could not get a replacement I would seriously consider letting however many children I needed to go so I didn't need her (and you probably have a couple that are paying for her anyway). She will damage your business if you allow her to stay
Thank you. I am giving her a talkin to today and letting her go asap.
My3cents 11:39 AM 09-24-2012
Everyone does things differently.

I would not terminate until you have given her 3 X. Big No's don't count in the three strikes rule. I would tell her this is her first strike and can't be happening. Have her read your rule book, give her an employee handbook with what you expect from her and what her duties are. Stress sanitation as something that can't be played around with and if she doesn't want to take her job with you serious, then this is not the place for her. This is your lively hood and how you bring income into your home and family it has to be done right.

Educate her all around on germs and sanitation and what is expected of you as a provider and why you need things done a certain way.

This would call for a sit down serious talk and not a quick to terminate (unless you have been over all of this and she has known)

yes gross
yes should know better
but again everyone does not do things the same
MyAngels 11:43 AM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:

I would not terminate until you have given her 3 X. Big No's don't count in the three strikes rule. I would tell her this is her first strike and can't be happening. Have her read your rule book, give her an employee handbook with what you expect from her and what her duties are. Stress sanitation as something that can't be played around with and if she doesn't want to take her job with you serious, then this is not the place for her. This is your lively hood and how you bring income into your home and family it has to be done right.

Educate her all around on germs and sanitation and what is expected of you as a provider and why you need things done a certain way.

This would call for a sit down serious talk and not a quick to terminate (unless you have been over all of this and she has known)

yes gross
yes should know better
I agree with this. I don't know how old she is or what kind of experience she has, but maybe she really was never taught proper sanitation. I'd look into finding a class that she can take to help her figure it out. If it still doesn't take, then fire her. In the meantime I'd be watching everything she does, though. I mean a sock, seriously?
MommyofThree 11:50 AM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:

yes gross
yes should know better
Um no one in their right mind would wipe a babys nose with a sock and throw it on my sons bed so no thats no excuse to say no one does things all the same way. That calls for a termination asap. I am appaled at the statement no one does things the same. No one should ever do that. ewwwwww. I can see the other things I complained about but the nose thing is just to gross.
MommyofThree 11:51 AM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I agree with this. I don't know how old she is or what kind of experience she has, but maybe she really was never taught proper sanitation. I'd look into finding a class that she can take to help her figure it out. If it still doesn't take, then fire her. In the meantime I'd be watching everything she does, though. I mean a sock, seriously?
How do you even say she might not know better. ewww my son is three and knows not to toss used tissue on a bed let a lone wiping his nose with a sock .
MommyofThree 11:53 AM 09-24-2012
shes 27 with a six year old.
EarthyMom 11:58 AM 09-24-2012
She knew it was wrong, that is why she lied. If she would do something like this, she will do something else thats just as horrid or even worse. She does not belong in a daycare setting with her standards. I wouldn't be willing to trust a "friend" that did this. If she stays anymore, she may not be your friend much longer.

As a parent I would be really disturbed if I knew this took place at your daycare and the person wasn't immediately terminated.
daycare 12:00 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by MommyofThree:
Um no one in their right mind would wipe a babys nose with a sock and throw it on my sons bed so no thats no excuse to say no one does things all the same way. That calls for a termination asap. I am appaled at the statement no one does things the same. No one should ever do that. ewwwwww. I can see the other things I complained about but the nose thing is just to gross.
I say I have to agree to this too....that is really gross, but I think that it is something that can be fixed....

when I think immediate term, I think of someone who is not being nice to the children, showing up late to work, or not following licensing rules.....

the sock thing would have me angry, but unless you saw the asst do it, you need to sit her down and educate her of your rules and give her another chance.

good help is hard to find and honestly, I think there will always be something you don't lkike about someone when you are working that closely with them
EarthyMom 12:24 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I say I have to agree to this too....that is really gross, but I think that it is something that can be fixed....

when I think immediate term, I think of someone who is not being nice to the children, showing up late to work, or not following licensing rules.....

the sock thing would have me angry, but unless you saw the asst do it, you need to sit her down and educate her of your rules and give her another chance.

good help is hard to find and honestly, I think there will always be something you don't lkike about someone when you are working that closely with them
I would agree with that if it wasn't for the fact that she lied. If she made a mistake and admitted to it, then maybe correct her. If someone does something with such poor judgement and then proceeds to be dishonest about it, I don't trust them anymore. When your job is to take care of innocent helpless little people, you have to be honest and accountable IMHO. OP has her reputation on the line, which makes her judge and jury of the situation as far as I'm concerned. She did see the woman throw something and did find a sock on the bed full of fresh snot. It seems pretty clear.
daycare 12:56 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by EarthyMom:
I would agree with that if it wasn't for the fact that she lied. If she made a mistake and admitted to it, then maybe correct her. If someone does something with such poor judgement and then proceeds to be dishonest about it, I don't trust them anymore. When your job is to take care of innocent helpless little people, you have to be honest and accountable IMHO. OP has her reputation on the line, which makes her judge and jury of the situation as far as I'm concerned. She did see the woman throw something and did find a sock on the bed full of fresh snot. It seems pretty clear.
I know what you are saying, but if it were something that was immoral, then I could see the point.

My sister and I are two totally different people. I could see her doing something like what the asst did. She would say well I am saving tress, unlike you. Where I would be so grossed out that she did that, that I just might throw that sock at her...lol

The lying part would get to me and I would have to sit down with the asst and tell her straight out. When you lied to me about the sock it made my stomach turn. If you lied to me about something so petty, it makes me wonder what else you are lying about.

Call her out. At least let her explain and if still she gives some off the wall answer (becuase really there is not a good one) then let her know that she is either on probation or you are letting her go. But if you need this person to keep you in ratios, then we both know that this person is not going anywhere. Bottom line, she needs to be talked to and this needs to be addressed other wise what are you going to tell parents in the morning tomorrow when you have over 6 kids and no helper??

Hopefully you have someone else lined up to help you??
rhymia1 01:04 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by EarthyMom:
This. She lied. That indicates she knew it was wrong. I understand people do certain things differently, but basic sanitation - hand washing, using tissues, etc should not be something you have to explain to an employee. I have two substitutes. I have had to go over the "extra" dc sanitizing - bleach and water solutions, sanitizing toys, etc. things that the average home doesn't have to do. But I've never had to tell anyone they need to wash their hands after diaper changes or nose wiping.
I also gathered from the tone of the OP that there has been issues along these lines before. For me, it all comes back to the facy she lied to cover it up. She knew it was wrong. I can overlook some things. But I can't overlook a liar.
Tags:assistant behaviors, assistant issues, employee issues, employee problems, lying
Reply Up