Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Backup Care When My Child or I is Sick
TSDaycare 03:56 PM 10-08-2009
I had a call the other day for a prospective infant, the mom then called me back to ask if I had back up care when myself or my child is sick, I don't. Is this something people normally have, as far as my license goes it is only for my house, sure I have subs, but I don't want them or any other children in my house if we are sick. What are some ideas on this? I lost the interview and even thought of having the child with me because of this issue....
hcmom 09:52 PM 10-08-2009
I have been a home DCP for a year and a half. One of the first questions I ask prospective parents is "Do you have back up in the event I cannot work due to emergency or family illness-or in the event your child is ill and is not accepted in my care?"

I know other DCP's and they ask the same thing to parents...not the other way around. IMO It is the parents job to find back up beforehand.
mac60 02:26 AM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by hcmom:
I have been a home DCP for a year and a half. One of the first questions I ask prospective parents is "Do you have back up in the event I cannot work due to emergency or family illness-or in the event your child is ill and is not accepted in my care?"

I know other DCP's and they ask the same thing to parents...not the other way around. IMO It is the parents job to find back up beforehand.
Exactly. I have been a provider for over 10 years, and I can count on 1 hand the number of days I have had to take off due to sickness or my own children getting sick. That women is searching for a miracle, as in my experience, most providers do not offer back up care, it is the dc parents responsibility to find it. Unless she goes to a center, she will continue to find this is a problem. I guess that is one of the trade offs of home care vs center care.
tymaboy 06:37 AM 10-09-2009
I have it state in my policy & I tell the parents during the interview that they must find back up care when I can not work. I have helped them find someone in the past. When I go to my training classes I have asked if anyone takes in drop in care & then pass on their number to my parents for their records.
GretasLittleFriends 07:43 AM 10-09-2009
I do not have back-up care options either. Most of my parents have relatives near by. There was a day when my little guy wasn't feeling well. I called all of my parents the night before and left it up to them whether or not they planned to bring their child. Most did, one did not. That child's grandma watched him.

I have kicked this thought around quite a bit lately, and have discussed with my husband. We have a baby due in May. He has decided to take time off for a few weeks so I can continue to be open pre/post delivery, assuming I don't have any major problems. I have also spoke with my MIL. She's retired now, but did daycare for close to 30 years. She also said she'd be willing to come up and help out. My parents are very relieved and grateful to hear this.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:47 AM 10-09-2009
I do not provide backup care either. Ive taken off 4 days. not a bad record. I started my 20th year this fall. (although I did call them for an emergency pickup in 1999. Gave them moments to get here, left my best friend in charge who worked in an office down the street. And hauled my hootie to the hospital as fast as the mighty van could go. To see my miracle nephew before he was transported to the nicu 50 miles away after being born at 24 weeks. ) that was really not the way I should have handled it. But,.. my brother called me from the hosp, said he is being born, They dont know if he will make it, I need you. I called my friend, called the parents while waiting on her to get here, and was gone in under 4 minutes. Thankfully he is a semi healthy active backtalking 10 yr old. A mild case of CP and ADHD. But here, healthy and most importantly alive. I agree that if someone cant provide backup care if a provider is ill then maybe they should try a center, of a daycare share type program. I know of two sisters who job share daycare kids. One week they are at one and the next the other. They live close and are each others backup. They get income and still get time with their own kids.
Reply Up