Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Brr!! Baby, It's Cold Outside!
SilverSabre25 07:09 AM 12-03-2010
The temperature today is just below freezing (and 24 with windchill). The highs these days are barely above freezing (mid-30s). I'm a wimp and I HATE the cold...am I a horrible person for not taking the kids out to play? They're all pretty young--my 3 yo DD is the oldest, and I've got a 2.5 yo and a 22 month old today--these are my oldest. Everyone else I may have other days is younger. I'm really, really hoping that in below or near-freezing temps I can get away with not taking under 3s out to play. FYI, I'm not licensed, I'm just wondering on principle.
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
The temperature today is just below freezing (and 24 with windchill). The highs these days are barely above freezing (mid-30s). I'm a wimp and I HATE the cold...am I a horrible person for not taking the kids out to play?
Yes, you are a horrible person for not taking them outside to play! It is currently -8F (below zero) here where I live right now and with windchill I am sure it is way below -15F so suck it up and get out there! I AM TOTALLY KIDDING ABOUT YOU BEING A HORRIBLE PERSON!!!! I also hate when it is cold outside! I wouldn't bother bringing them out either if they are so young.
kitkat 08:42 AM 12-03-2010
I hate winter! I hate bundling the kids up. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! Did I say that I hate it We haven't been outside to play for about 2 weeks. Now the only time we go out is to walk to school. It's only a 3 minute walk each way, but nobody in my group enjoys it (the temp with windchill has been about 18 today and yesterday). It has to be a "warm" cold in order for us to go out to play right now until spring. If you think the kids need some fresh air, I'd pop a window open a bit and do some fun exercises. Personally, I'd chalk it up to being too cold to play outside and not even think about it again til spring.
mac60 08:52 AM 12-03-2010
We don't go outside after September or before May. Way too much hassle for what it is worth. I don't like standing in the cold. If the parents want their kids outside in the winter time, they can take them out. It's already in the teens here.
DCMomOf3 08:54 AM 12-03-2010
It's 10 here and we just got back in. With putting all the snow gear on, the bickering and crying while out, then taking everything back off again, it was not worth it. AT ALL.
MARSTELAC 09:02 AM 12-03-2010
I love that chart someone posted at idph.state.ia.us. Check with your state/local licensing requirements because in some instances you are required to go outside every day unless horrible windchill or rain....

Personally, I do not like to get cold but the fresh air does us all wonders (me included) even if only for a few minutes.

We just came in from a quick walk (it is in the teens)
DancingQueen 09:09 AM 12-03-2010
This is what I go by...
http://www.idph.state.ia.us/hcci/com...atherwatch.pdf
Unregistered 09:43 AM 12-03-2010
If I don't have my babies, then I take my kids outside unless the wind chill makes it too cold. We all bundle up and go out and play in the snow. I make sure that the parents provide snowpants, boots, hats and waterproof mittens and I wear all of that stuff too so that I'm not miserable in the snow. I won't take the kids out to play in the snow without those things.

If I do have the babies, then I just make sure that the temp isn't too cold because they aren't going to be able to be active enough to keep warm. I have sleds to let them sit in and strollers, too. I also let the sit in the snow as long as they have snowpants too.
laundrymom 09:57 AM 12-03-2010
Im with everyone else here,.. one thing I do though,.. that you might try,.. my older ones,.. close to 3,... I have 4,... r and q are 4 in the spring, w and e are 3 in july,.. I make up snowballs at nap, set them on the porch out front,... bundle the kids and when my girls come home from school,.. we step out on the porch and attack!!! they LOVE IT!!!!!!!I pnp the others right inside the door for the 45 seconds it takes and I stay right beside the door, in full view within 15 inches of them

it gets them out,.. but my 8 wk , 7 mo, and 19 mo olds stay in where its warm

Originally Posted by kitkat:
I hate winter! I hate bundling the kids up. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! Did I say that I hate it We haven't been outside to play for about 2 weeks. Now the only time we go out is to walk to school. It's only a 3 minute walk each way, but nobody in my group enjoys it (the temp with windchill has been about 18 today and yesterday). It has to be a "warm" cold in order for us to go out to play right now until spring. If you think the kids need some fresh air, I'd pop a window open a bit and do some fun exercises. Personally, I'd chalk it up to being too cold to play outside and not even think about it again til spring.

countrymom 10:13 AM 12-03-2010
I don't take the kids outside in the cold, to me if you want to the kids to go outside the parents can take them outside (I know that many of them won't so why should I) and many don't even come dressed no matter what I say so I give up.
SilverSabre25 10:22 AM 12-03-2010
I am SO glad to see that so many people agree with me!! I feel much, MUCH better now. One less thing for me to worry about.

laundrymom, I love that idea. I have no problem going out to play in the snow when it's there--but only for the bigger kids (2.5 and up, really)--but we don't get that kind of snow very much!

MARSTELAC--licensing is not a concern for me as I am not licensed. About the only regulation I have to follow is that I can only have 6 kids, no more than 3 under the age of 2.
Tags:cold weather, winter
Reply Up