Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Older Kids That Dislike Daycare....
TSDaycare 08:16 AM 04-28-2011
I know its hard, especially since they are starting the teenage years and the drama of starting middle school....but what do you do when a child tells parents they hate your daycare? This all stems from the child being disciplined for arguing over a chair-not personally disciplined, but I made both the kids move out of the chair after arguing who was sitting there, one being my own child! This girl is 11 years old and arguing with a 5 year old about who is sitting in that chair!!!! It's not the only petty argument thats occurred and this child can be very bossy and doesn't like the fact when she doesn't get her way. I feel like it is just her hormones starting but I hate to know that she "doesn't like it" when she is here.
AfterSchoolMom 08:42 AM 04-28-2011
Of course she doesn't like it, and I'm positive that it's nothing personal. She's on the verge on independence and probably thinks she's "too old" to be in daycare. I have that problem with my 5th graders when they're getting ready to age out. They spend the last half of the year in a huff because they want to be going home instead of coming to my house. It's one of the main reasons that I don't know how some of you combine littles and SA's.

I'm sure that this girl's parents are finding that she "hates" a lot of other things too! Could you talk to them/the child and find out what she'd enjoy doing? Is she your only older one? Maybe you could designate her as helper, or give her more alone time, or just a special place to hang out that is only hers where she can't be bugged by the littler kids.

My own is getting to this in between stage as well. It's hard.
MN Mom 08:50 AM 04-28-2011
My oldest DD is 11 and "hates" everything too. She's also become very sassy as of late...I think it's hormones
TSDaycare 09:07 AM 04-28-2011
I just really dont appreciate her telling her parents she hates this daycare because everyone always blames things on her. I dont directly accuse any of the older kids of anything unless I know exactly one happen-for the most part I speak to them as a whole. It looks bad on my part because you know her parents believe her, its my word against hers and I dont appreciate being talked about....move on to the next daycare and see if thats better!
jen 09:42 AM 04-28-2011
I had schoolaged girls once upon a time...it isn't easy.

I do have to say, I really think once a kid hits 8 or so, that they are better off at the after school program or a schoolagers only daycare.
laundrymom 09:57 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I had schoolaged girls once upon a time...it isn't easy.

I do have to say, I really think once a kid hits 8 or so, that they are better off at the after school program or a schoolagers only daycare.
I agree,... As much as I used to enjoy having schoolers here, once my own kids got older, I prefer the under kindergarten ages. I actually,.. have decided not to offer school aged care any longer. Im licensed for it but I dont offer it.
youretooloud 10:19 AM 04-28-2011
When my own got to that age, I switched to the very littles. The daycare kids can't sit on our furniture anyway so, that wouldn't be an issue.

My kids understood that without the daycare, they'd be either IN daycare, or coming home alone to an empty house, because I HAVE to work.

You being at home is actually more important when your kids are teens that it was when they were little. There's nothing more dangerous than a bunch of teens alone in a house.
AfterSchoolMom 10:58 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
You being at home is actually more important when your kids are teens that it was when they were little. There's nothing more dangerous than a bunch of teens alone in a house.
Isn't that the truth. My DH thinks that I'll be getting a job outside the home when they get to middle/high school - I keep telling him that it's even more important for me to be here for them at that time!
Tags:children - dislike daycare, older kids
Reply Up