Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Would A DCM Do This?
crazydaycarelady 06:37 AM 05-29-2013
I have a clipboard with a state required sign in/out sheet that all of the parents have to sign twice daily. One dcm (the mom of my infamous 4yo dcb) always lets her 4yo "sign" the sheet. He chicken scratches his name on the sheet somewhere. Well now she is letting her 1yo "sign" the sheet which amounts to it getting scribbled ALL OVER! Seriously, scribbles everywhere.

Why?

Other kids ask to sign it and their parents say no since it is obviously not a sheet for kids!

I cannot stand this family!!
crazydaycarelady 06:41 AM 05-29-2013
BTW - I have told dcb repeatedly NOT to write on the sign in/out sheets. The first thing on his agenda today is to take an eraser and erase scribbles off of a sign in/out sheet!
daycarediva 06:44 AM 05-29-2013
New sheet for the week/month go up with a sign at the top of the clipboard saying adults only can sign. Then verbally tell dcb & dcm "Sorry dcm but the kids can't sign the sheets anymore. I have to photocopy them for my records & the state wasn't happy that they were so messy."
Willow 06:46 AM 05-29-2013
Tell mom it's for the state and needs to be legible.

If you want fudge and tell her your licensor chastized you for the scribbles on the last one so those need to stop.
MarinaVanessa 06:46 AM 05-29-2013
Grr that would make me mad too. But if that happened to me the program wouldn't take the sign in sheet. They are very particular about the sign in sheets. I'd be POd.
SilverSabre25 06:55 AM 05-29-2013
It's possible she doesn't get that it's a serious kind of thing and treats it like it's just something cute you do and the kids ought to do it too. Not saying she''s right just trying to find an explanation for you

Have you tried being firm with her? Stop her as she goes to let the 4 yo or 1 yo sign and say "This is for grown up to sign, Mary. I need this for my records. YOU need to sign it, not Jimmy and Charlie."
crazydaycarelady 07:03 AM 05-29-2013
Yes, I do need to just say something to dcm. But really, shouldn't this be self-explanatory? I am so tired of telling these parents how to behave!

Please don't let your kid sign the sign in out sheet.
Please don't walk through my garden.
Please don't let your kids steal garden decorations from my garden.
Please don't blah blah blah...........
Crystal 07:06 AM 05-29-2013
I would say something to Mom, but I would also put a second clipboard next to it for the children to sign in and out. I'd add some cards with their names and photos on them in a basket next to it. This is a great way for children to begin learning how to write their name and they LOVE to be included in the "check in/out" process like their parents.
itlw8 07:08 AM 05-29-2013
get a small clip board for the kids to sign in on it can be name writing practice. Then tell mom again to keep them off the sheet. make a fine if you have to. The problem is you let it happen every day. Instead of correcting dcb you should have told dcm the first time.
slorey 07:08 AM 05-29-2013
Would it be possible to create a separate kids sign in area so all the kids can sign themselves in, even those whose parents understand boundaries and know how to use the dreaded no word? But at the same time stress to the parents the importance of them not touching the official sign in? Did you mention to mom that they aren't allowed to sign themselves in? If worse comes to worse you can tell her the state wasn't happy the sheets were messy and they threatened to suspend your program if you ever turn anything in that is that unprofessional again! Bet if she was going to lose care over it she wouldn't find it so cute! That would annoy me as well. I hate parents that do not use common sense!
makap 07:22 AM 05-29-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I would say something to Mom, but I would also put a second clipboard next to it for the children to sign in and out. I'd add some cards with their names and photos on them in a basket next to it. This is a great way for children to begin learning how to write their name and they LOVE to be included in the "check in/out" process like their parents.
I like this idea!
Cradle2crayons 07:29 AM 05-29-2013
Unfortunately, some parents just don't GET it.

I'd have out my foot down on the first incident. Your right, mom knows better.

And I did try doing the kids sign in sign out thing a long time ago, but it dragged out the process so much I had to stop doing it.
crazydaycarelady 07:34 AM 05-29-2013
Originally Posted by :
And I did try doing the kids sign in sign out thing a long time ago, but it dragged out the process so much I had to stop doing it.
Yes, I am very hesitant to do this. I close at 5:30 and most of my parents show up at, you guessed it, 5:30! I just want them gone by that time and I can see a line up of kids waiting to sign out! LOL
littlemissmuffet 07:39 AM 05-29-2013
Ugh. I had a kid/parent like this. It drives me crazy when parents cannot say no to their children!! I should never have to control a child when their parent is present

I also respectfully disagree with the previous poster about having a second clip board for the children. I like the idea of turning as many moments in a day into learning opportunities but at the same time children need to learn that they don't need to be and won't be involved in every little thing their parents are doing. Plus... I don't want kiddos/parents here any longer at the end of the day than they need to be - kiddos can draw/write with their parents in the car or at home!
TheGoodLife 07:44 AM 05-29-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Have you tried being firm with her? Stop her as she goes to let the 4 yo or 1 yo sign and say "This is for grown up to sign, Mary. I need this for my records. YOU need to sign it, not Jimmy and Charlie."
Yes, firmly tell her that she cannot let her children do it anymore- it shouldn't be DCBs fault- as the consequence of erasing tells him- and MAKE her stop. Some people are just so wrapped up in letting their lids have fun that they don't care or understand there's a reason for things!
preschoolteacher 07:59 AM 05-29-2013
I totally have a different take on this situation. I think some people see it as "Mom can't say no," but I know a lot of programs that highly encourage the children to sign themselves in/out because it builds literacy and pre-writing skills, even if they are just scribbling and scrawling. Any chance that Mom is familiar with these sorts of programs and is just doing what she thinks could be helpful and educational?

I'd suggest making a sign-in sheet for the kids. That way, they get to sign in and you have your records the way you need them.

Here's some more information: http://www.highscope.org/content.asp?contentid=516
crazydaycarelady 08:01 AM 05-29-2013
I read the Letter Links but honestly, in this particular situation I think it is that mom just can't say no.
slorey 08:06 AM 05-29-2013
Could you keep the clipboard in an area the children can't reach, such as on top of the cubbies or hanging on the wall? You might already do this. Just trying to brainstorm solutions for you...
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 05-29-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I totally have a different take on this situation. I think some people see it as "Mom can't say no," but I know a lot of programs that highly encourage the children to sign themselves in/out because it builds literacy and pre-writing skills, even if they are just scribbling and scrawling. Any chance that Mom is familiar with these sorts of programs and is just doing what she thinks could be helpful and educational?

I'd suggest making a sign-in sheet for the kids. That way, they get to sign in and you have your records the way you need them.

Here's some more information: http://www.highscope.org/content.asp?contentid=516
As far as the kids "signing" themselves in and out each day, I support it.

What I did though was have a picture chart with each child's photo on it. Next to each child's photo is a tag.

One side says "in" and the other side says "out".

When the kids arrive in the morning, they flip their tag to "in".

When they leave at the end of the day, they flip their tag to "out".

It literally takes under a minute and the kids LOVE it!
AmyKidsCo 01:30 PM 05-29-2013
I'd stress the fact that the sign in/out sheet is a legal document and you need it to be legible to protect yourself, the child, and the family. I like the idea of a separate sign in/out for the children too - maybe something you do after mom leaves at drop-off and before she arrives at pick-up, so no extra time is added.
crazydaycarelady 01:34 PM 05-29-2013
The sign in/out sheet is up where the kids can't reach it. This dcm sits down and holds it while her kid scribbles all over it.

Blackcat I like the card idea!
MissAnn 01:51 PM 05-29-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I have a clipboard with a state required sign in/out sheet that all of the parents have to sign twice daily. One dcm (the mom of my infamous 4yo dcb) always lets her 4yo "sign" the sheet. He chicken scratches his name on the sheet somewhere. Well now she is letting her 1yo "sign" the sheet which amounts to it getting scribbled ALL OVER! Seriously, scribbles everywhere.

Why?

Other kids ask to sign it and their parents say no since it is obviously not a sheet for kids!

I cannot stand this family!!
That is plain old disrespectful.
Reply Up