Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCK's Birthdays
Janiam 12:52 PM 10-01-2015
I need to change how Birthdays are handled here....do you all celebrate every Birthday? I curently have a DCB who started pre-k, so only comes 3 afternoons a week now, and that's if he hasn't cried/screamed his way out of coming. He is turning four this weekend and has invited all his new school friends plus DC friends. His mom texted yesterday she would be sending cupcakes today for DCB's Birthday. How many Birthdays does this kid need? My group is 2-3's. And mostly sick with colds so I am not crazy about the sugar., and this particular DCB has been misbehaving so much at drop off lately I certainly wouldn't be rewarding with treats....when it's not actually his Birthday. If he had to attend on his actual Birthday maybe I would feel differently but right now I just feel she is imposing her spoiling on us. Do you celebrate Birthdays that are not on families scheduled days?
Blackcat31 01:32 PM 10-01-2015
Originally Posted by Janiam:
I need to change how Birthdays are handled here....do you all celebrate every Birthday? I curently have a DCB who started pre-k, so only comes 3 afternoons a week now, and that's if he hasn't cried/screamed his way out of coming. He is turning four this weekend and has invited all his new school friends plus DC friends. His mom texted yesterday she would be sending cupcakes today for DCB's Birthday. How many Birthdays does this kid need? My group is 2-3's. And mostly sick with colds so I am not crazy about the sugar., and this particular DCB has been misbehaving so much at drop off lately I certainly wouldn't be rewarding with treats....when it's not actually his Birthday. If he had to attend on his actual Birthday maybe I would feel differently but right now I just feel she is imposing her spoiling on us. Do you celebrate Birthdays that are not on families scheduled days?
Because of everything (and a few more reasons) we don't do ANY birthdays here.

If birthdays are NEEDING to be celebrated, they can do it on their time/watch/property.

Its too hard to manage birthday celebrations and birthday treats amongst the 1001 other things we already do.
littletots 01:35 PM 10-01-2015
Pm snack child's choice. I do my veg/fruit 3 tier tray. Love it & use often. They or I provide extra child choice snack. No gifts.
littletots 01:37 PM 10-01-2015
I should add no banners, balloons or big show. I ask dck if they would like us to sing. Many don't.
Janiam 06:44 PM 10-01-2015
Hmm....interesting responses. Typically if a childs Birthday falls on their scheduled day I will provide a special pm snack. Cookies or fruit popsicle etc. I always gave each child a book. Lately the kids/ parents seem to be rude , pushy and unappreciative. Todays cupcakes brought by DCM were covered in very sticky bright blue frosting that took half a box of wipes to clean up. I'm so done with that. To top it off when DCM came tp pick up she said 'hurry up we have to get xxxxxx's Birthday party'.
With 16 kids on the schedule this needs to change. I'm done giving gifts and no more treats from home. I think letting the kids choose an addition to PM snack and if they would like to be sung to sounds perfect!
nothingwithoutjoy 06:47 PM 10-01-2015
We celebrate all birthdays in the same very low-key way:
I cut a construction-paper # (their new age) and write "Happy Birthday" on it and clip it to their cubby.
I give them a gift of a book or two specifically chosen for their interests.
At morning snack, we have muffins. Birthday child gets a candle in theirs.
We sing "happy birthday."

That's it. I've done a bit more in the past, but pared it down to this. The kids love the tradition of it and look forward to it.
Unregistered 11:49 PM 10-01-2015
I usally blow up ballons they love that and maby a special snack or make a small cake and sing happy birthday. Just recently we had three 2 years old not related all turn three on the same day so we had a party not something we have done .but was really fun we decorated and blew up the bounce house with a slide that I own barely gets used since heavy so they get excited. we had cake and ice cream and some junk food (alot)I was a little nervous but it was only for a day so we went crazy no party at home only here so I kinda felt I needed to the party big.
LysesKids 06:52 AM 10-02-2015
I do nothing but under 24 months so I get a lot of First Birthdays... I make a special spice or carrot cake (unfrosted) for afternoon treat and we do hats/horns, no balloons... any extra cake is sent home with all the families so it doesn't tempt me here lol. I always celebrate on the actual day or as close to it if it lands on a weekend. Today is another First birthday (DCG turns one tomorrow). No presents, but the birthday kid does get a card
Onawhim 09:29 AM 10-02-2015
I'm that mom that sends cake to school with my dd for her birthday so I wouldn't mind it! Mind you its usually only if it's her actual birthday.
mommiebookworm 10:48 AM 10-02-2015
If they are here on the actual day we have cupcakes or muffins for snack. If they want us to, we sing to them. One dcg didn't want either, so we didn't do any of it.
laundrymom 11:14 AM 10-02-2015
Here parents can send snack that day.
Usually cupcakes or cookies
I remove icing and serve half of cupcakes and add serving of banana and milk.
Birthday kid gets a huge production ceremony of me, carrying the special birthday cup across the kitchen with the Hershey syrup and a molinillo.
I set the cup on the table and drip a few drops of syrup into cup from 3-4 feet in the air. It plops. Splashes. And then I get to frothing!!!
We sing happy birthday and move on w our day. It's super fun.
( http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Mexic...FdcSgQodMukPQg )
Janiam 11:38 AM 10-02-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Here parents can send snack that day.
Usually cupcakes or cookies
I remove icing and serve half of cupcakes and add serving of banana and milk.
Birthday kid gets a huge production ceremony of me, carrying the special birthday cup across the kitchen with the Hershey syrup and a molinillo.
I set the cup on the table and drip a few drops of syrup into cup from 3-4 feet in the air. It plops. Splashes. And then I get to frothing!!!
We sing happy birthday and move on w our day. It's super fun.
( http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Mexic...FdcSgQodMukPQg )
I have never seen a Molinillo, Thanks for sharing that!
Unregistered 04:24 AM 10-06-2015
I don't mind if they send a treat. The kids rarely touch cake or cupcakes tho. I will cut small pieces, scrape off brightly colored frosting, cut cupcakes in half, etc. I also serve a side of bananas and milk!

I have a box that I've wrapped with BD paper. It's filled with items from the $ store. Kids LOVE the birthday box and love making the BIG decision on which item to choose. I love shopping for cute and still nice $ items for the box.

We have those pre-printed birthday crowns, I have a BD sign from the $ store I stick out front, and a birthday bear that sits by their spot at snack ( small beanie bag size) and that's about it. I don't make a special snack if they don't bring one.
Ariana 06:45 AM 10-06-2015
I would smile and nod, take the treat and then do my own thing. It's your home not hers and you need to do what is best for your DCK's. I don't celebrate birthdays either. Even my own kids birthdays are not celebrated during daycare hours. We celebrate after daycare ends.
Baby Beluga 07:42 AM 10-06-2015
We sing happy birthday - that's it.
Second Home 09:08 AM 10-06-2015
The kids get to pick a small item out of my prize jar or for the older sa kids maybe a smelly pencil . Nothing huge and no parties.
midaycare 10:44 AM 10-06-2015
I guess I'm in the minority - I make a big deal out of it! I have six every day, 8 total kids.

I blow up about 30 balloons, hang a bday banner, maybe some streamers, have cupcakes if parent doesn't bring anything - which is a huge deal here, because of the organic/non-processed blah blah blah I serve here. The dck's wait for a bday celebration like a kid waiting for Christmas.

We have a complete party morning. I let them watch a show - another huge deal. Maybe a Thomas movie. And we sing and sing and sing.

I buy 3-4 good books for presents.
Baby Beluga 01:21 PM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I guess I'm in the minority - I make a big deal out of it! I have six every day, 8 total kids.

I blow up about 30 balloons, hang a bday banner, maybe some streamers, have cupcakes if parent doesn't bring anything - which is a huge deal here, because of the organic/non-processed blah blah blah I serve here. The dck's wait for a bday celebration like a kid waiting for Christmas.

We have a complete party morning. I let them watch a show - another huge deal. Maybe a Thomas movie. And we sing and sing and sing.

I buy 3-4 good books for presents.
Can you throw me a birthday party?
Reply Up