Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teaching Manners
newtodaycare22 10:40 AM 07-30-2012
Lord help me-my kids have completely lost their minds the past week or so. Manners are non existent. I have 3-5 year olds who know exactly how to say, please, thank you, etc. They used to do it consistently but suddenly they have amnesia. Last week I tried to remind them constantly and I ignored requests in the kitchen for those who weren't using good manners. I was hoping it was a funk.

Today is worse!! I tried to give them an incentive. A good manners day lets them earn smiley faces and 10 smiley faces gives us a water day outside (which they love). It seemed to motivate them a LITTLE, but still not much.

I'd love any suggestions. Few things drive me as crazy as rude children and I will Not be the daycare that sends them off to k like this! lol Thanks!
spud912 02:34 PM 07-30-2012
I am a stickler on manners (may I please, thank you, sorry, excuse me). The biggest advice I can give is consistency. The more they get reminded, the better they become.

I usually ignore them when they don't ask for something properly and then when they say "may I please" I try to accommodate as much as possible while saying "Thank you for using your manners! Now what do you say?" (as I'm giving them what they asked for). Then they usually know to say "thank you." I also do not the children get down from the table (after eating) until they have said excuse me. I try not to ask if they are done eating. I usually just wait and wash dishes until they spontaneously say excuse me. If they say "I'm done," I remind them with "how do you ask to get down?"

In addition, the children are very competitive with each other so when one uses their manners, I make a big deal about how nice it was and then the others usually follow suit immediately.

As far as thank you, sorry, and excuse me (after burping or passing gas), it takes a lot of reminders, but they eventually catch on.

I have had a couple of hard cases and I think it had to do with what the parents did at home (especially if manners are worse on Mondays). In that case, I will say something to the parents like "We have been working on Johnny's manners and I've noticed he is having a hard time saying please. He is responding well with my technique of ______ , but I was wondering if you also had ideas." Usually this opens up the topic and allows you to try to get the parents on the same page.

Good luck! I have noticed that it does take a good solid month to get everyone consistently on track with manners. I know it does get frustrating!
Kaddidle Care 03:02 PM 07-30-2012
Oh I hear ya sister! They usually caught on after I'd say "I'm sorry.. I can't hear you." a gazillion times.

If I didn't teach them anything else, I taught them manners. It is sooo lacking in society these days and it's such a pleasure when you do find people that use their manners.
Reply Up