Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cloth Diaper BMs
momofboys 09:46 AM 08-31-2012
Okay, I have a new DCC - wears cloth diapers & not the fancy type either. They are ones I need to fold on my own. It isn't that bad BUt child is constantly sore on the bottom no matter how often I change him (alomsot every 1.5 hrs). Not sure if he gets changed that much at home as grandpa brought DCC today & he had BM in his diaper at drop-off!!!! Anyway, mom said something at some point about how I could swish the BM diapers in my toilet - I never agreed to do this. If it is hard BM I can plop it in the toilet but this child's BMS are always too soft to do that. Do any of you clean BM cloth diapers? Or just send them home????
SilverSabre25 09:52 AM 08-31-2012
I just send them home.

Suggest that mom look into either a)flushable liners or b) go to fabric store, buy fleece, cut into liner-shaped pieces, line each diaper with them. Then you just take the fleece liner and more of the poo drops off because it doesn't stick very well to fleece. Easy peasy.
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 08-31-2012
I have a new DCB too who wears cloth diapers. My rule is I will shake the waste into the toilet. Whatever does not fall off stays. I don't swish, swirl, scrape or anything else.

From what I understand that is how cloth diapering is suppose to be handled because you can't touch feces and you can't rinse anything in a sink you use for food prep or handwashing.

I send the entire balled up diaper home with child and his mom says the washing machine set on second rinse is enough to get all the waste off of it and sanitize it too. She doesn't scrap, swirl or swish either and does not expect me to.

Here are a couple other threads about cloth diapers: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=cloth+diapers

I was also told that you can't really use product on the bottom of kids who wear cloth diapers because the product gets stuck on the fabric and creates a barrier so that liquid and feces doesn't soak in and away from the babies bottom...sort of like having the diaper scotch-guarded. I have no idea if this is true or not but that is what my DCM said.
momofboys 09:55 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a new DCB too who wears cloth diapers. My rule is I will shake the waste into the toilet. Whatever does not fall off stays. I don't swish, swirl, scrape or anything else.

From what I understand that is how cloth diapering is suppose to be handled because you can't touch feces and you can't rinse anything in a sink you use for food prep or handwashing.

I send the entire balled up diaper home with child and his mom says the washing machine set on second rinse is enough to get all the waste off of it and sanitize it too. She doesn't scrap, swirl or swish either and does not expect me to.

Here are a couple other threads about cloth diapers: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=cloth+diapers

I was also told that you can't really use product on the bottom of kids who wear cloth diapers because the product gets stuck on the fabric and creates a barrier so that liquid and feces doesn't soak in and away from the babies bottom...sort of like having the diaper scotch-guarded. I have no idea if this is true or not but that is what my DCM said.
that is interesting about the no product. So what are they do when they have constant diaper rash??? I am wondering is he always has somewhat of a diaper rash - has only been coming to me for a month but has always been sore to some degree & mom sends along a vaseline-like product but it does not seem to help much
daycarediva 10:22 AM 08-31-2012

Exactly this! I cloth diapered my youngest two kids, and had a dcb in cloth. They do not wick away moisture as well, and they need to be changed more often and you can't use products on them. So if dcb isn't being changed often enough, that is probably why he has a rash. You can suggest as a pp said about the fleece liners, or even tell her that you would like her to purchase an all in one diaper, or pocket style for use at your home. DCM bought 6 pocket diapers for my house and would wash them at night and return them the next day. We never had any problems.
Jessie 10:22 AM 08-31-2012
My daughter is in cloth diapers, here are my thoughts about some of your questions:

1. You can use some products as a barrier, they just can't be petroleum based. We use coconut oil, one of my dck's used shea butter. If she gets the liners that someone else mentioned, she can use pretty much anything, they'll prevent products from getting into the diapers.

2. When my daughter has a diaper rash, we take a break from cloth. Disposable diapers keep bums drier than cloth, letting the rash heal. We want to be nice to the planet, and avoid buying expensive diapers, but we also want her bum to be comfortable, and I've found that a rash just won't heal in cloth. We also put her in a disposable at night.

3. As a parent, I would never expect a day care provider to wash my child's diapers, or to dip them in the toilet. She should provide the liners, you can dump those in the trash, and anything else just goes into the wet bag for her to deal with at home. That's what I do with my own daughter's diapers, and any kids in my care who are in cloth. It's not sanitary for you to be swishing diapers, plus it just takes too long when you have other kids to chase around.

Hope that helps!
youretooloud 10:37 AM 08-31-2012
I send them home.

But, I use old cut up t-shirts for liners, or they send flushable liners. I throw the liner away, or just let the parents wash those too.

I have also washed a full set of disposable diaper wipes in my own washer and then used those as liners.

I find that my cloth diaper kids never have a rash, but the sposie kids get rashes all the time. Perhaps they are washing the diapers wrong?
youretooloud 10:41 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
So what are they do when they have constant diaper rash???
It's true, you can not use a cream with cloth. But, if there is a liner, the cream won't hurt the diapers.

They could look for Zinc powder too. Walgreens sells some. But, still it can get in the diaper and it's not easy to wash out.
momofboys 10:46 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
It's true, you can not use a cream with cloth. But, if there is a liner, the cream won't hurt the diapers.

They could look for Zinc powder too. Walgreens sells some. But, still it can get in the diaper and it's not easy to wash out.

Makes me wonder if she is not well educated on cloth diaper use - the product she is sending for me to us is mostly a petroleum-based product???
SilverSabre25 10:46 AM 08-31-2012
There are some creams you can use with cloth. I always use Palmer's Bottom Butter to great effect (and it smells nummy, too!)

Do the diapers smell funky? They shouldn't smell like anything but "clean"--if they smell stinky at all then they might need stripped, or the washing routine dcm uses might not be sufficient.

I do mine on the prewash cycle (cold with a sprinkle of detergent), then HOT wash w/soak w/sprinkle of detergent and a downy ball full of distilled white vinegar, plus a 2nd rinse. Seems to take care of ours just fine.
itlw8 11:14 AM 08-31-2012
boy I feel old but someone educate me. I cloth diapered in the early 80's the diapers were cotton I had to fold then into the many layers I wahsed them in hot water with bleach and often hung them to dry in the sun. no odor, we used vasoline we were told to put a child in cloth if they had a rash.

So What is in todays daiapers that make them different?
youretooloud 11:32 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
boy I feel old but someone educate me. I cloth diapered in the early 80's the diapers were cotton I had to fold then into the many layers I wahsed them in hot water with bleach and often hung them to dry in the sun. no odor, we used vasoline we were told to put a child in cloth if they had a rash.

So What is in todays daiapers that make them different?
Never bleach.

But, I use mostly pre-folds with covers. It's the easiest system. They are just thick but ordinary prefolds.
The parents wash them in their own detergent, some wash them in special detergent. (Rockin Johnny or something) They dry them like they would towels. But, we don't use a diaper cream.

They strip them in Dawn dishwasher detergent (if needed) and very hot water.

Other than that, it's just a normal wash day. Nothing special at all.

One kid just recently brought over a big set of "Charlie Banana" diapers from Target, and I'll admit, I kinda love those things.
Tin Blues 12:11 PM 08-31-2012
I cloth diapered my 1st child back in the early 80's. My grandma bought a bolt of double flannel and my mom made it into large cloth rectangles seamed on the sewing machine. Then showed me how to fold them to use for a boy or a girl. Plastic pants were used as a cover. Wet diapers went into one covered container. Poopy diapers were rinsed in the toilet and then put into a diaper pail containing water and some bleach. Once a week I did a load of diapers and I did use bleach. Those diapers wore like iron, nice and white and soft. In fact, I saved them and still have them 30 years later. They're wonderful for dustrags or cleaning windows. When my daughter had a rash, I used plain old desitin. And I never noticed anything wrong with the diapers from using ointment.

I think most states have regulations against daycares rinsing poopy diapers. They're supposed to be put into a bag and sent home with parents.
MaritimeMummy 12:46 PM 08-31-2012
Anything with any sort of bodily fluids or excrement goes directly into a bag to be taken home. I do cloth diapers on my own DS and I would never expect anyone to do anything with my child's BMs, daycare or not. Just fold it up and put it in a bag. Don't dump anything.

Plus, doing anything as far as dumping poo out or swishing the diapers makes HER life easier. NOT your job description. ;-)
Blackcat31 01:37 PM 08-31-2012
These are the kind of diapers the DCB I have uses. I don't remember what brand they are but there are snaps on them to accommodate growth. The liners though are inside the diaper rather than on top next to baby's skin so any waste is on the diaper itself but the liner I think is just there for extra absorbancy. not positive though.

This is the first time in 20 years I have ever been asked to use cloth diapers for a DCK. Honestly, I would actually prefer that ALL my families used cloth diapers so that I don't have so much waste with all the disposable ones but so far, I have only had just this one little guy use cloth.
MaritimeMummy 02:23 PM 08-31-2012
These are the kind of diapers the DCB I have uses. I don't remember what brand they are but there are snaps on them to accommodate growth. The liners though are inside the diaper rather than on top next to baby's skin so any waste is on the diaper itself but the liner I think is just there for extra absorbancy. not positive though.

This is the first time in 20 years I have ever been asked to use cloth diapers for a DCK. Honestly, I would actually prefer that ALL my families used cloth diapers so that I don't have so much waste with all the disposable ones but so far, I have only had just this one little guy use cloth.

That is a one size pocket diaper, designed to grow with a child from usually around 8lbs to potty training time. The liner, called a "soaker pad" or "insert" is made of either microfibre, cotton, hemp, bamboo, sometimes even wool. They fit on a child in pretty much the same fashion as a disposable diaper. :-) VERY user-friendly. No pins or flat sheets or covers.

Because of the ease of use, the fact that it's pretty much all one piece and designed to grow with your child, they usually cost quite a bit of money (with the exception of work at home mom types). That's why there is such a big deal made about proper washing/stripping/no creams or powders, etc. Keep them pristine and they do not depreciate in value much, meaning you can make pretty much all of your money back when it comes time to sell them. :-)
Blackcat31 02:35 PM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by MaritimeMummy:
That is a one size pocket diaper, designed to grow with a child from usually around 8lbs to potty training time. The liner, called a "soaker pad" or "insert" is made of either microfibre, cotton, hemp, bamboo, sometimes even wool. They fit on a child in pretty much the same fashion as a disposable diaper. :-) VERY user-friendly. No pins or flat sheets or covers.

Because of the ease of use, the fact that it's pretty much all one piece and designed to grow with your child, they usually cost quite a bit of money (with the exception of work at home mom types). That's why there is such a big deal made about proper washing/stripping/no creams or powders, etc. Keep them pristine and they do not depreciate in value much, meaning you can make pretty much all of your money back when it comes time to sell them. :-)
Thanks! That is actually really useful info! I almost wonder if a provider couldn't purchase the diapers and use them on the kids, basically providing diapers for the kids I have in care and still get a lot of use out of them? Do you know the average life span of a well-cared for diaper?

I could transfer the cost of the diapers, laundering and the needed replacements onto the parents of the infants/toddlers with a slightly higher rate for the ones who I provide diapers for.

Hmmm.....now I am going to have to do some serious thinking here.

Recently my DH and I have really gotten into recycling and being as eco-friendly as possible. Last year I spent $976 on garbage services just for our daycare. This year we have recycled EVERYTHING we can and have spent a total of $16 for garbage runs to the dump between BOTH my home and my daycare. Being such an avid recycler now, I kills me to throw these disposable diapers away.
MaritimeMummy 02:38 PM 08-31-2012
I've had my bunch of 36 diapers go through 2 of my kids, my older child is 3 now, if that helps any!

Anyway, why not look into using a cloth diaper service? You pay a fee, they deliver freshly laundered cloth diapers to your door, come pick them up, launder them (in industrial, sanitizing washers), and give you clean ones.
Country Kids 02:44 PM 08-31-2012
I used cloth on 3.5 of my children. By #4 we could afford to use disposables more.

I first started using them 19 years ago-now I'm crying because I just relized my first baby will be turning 19 here in a few weeks. I'm so emotional lately-

Anyway, I washed them all myself and dried them. They lasted through pretty much 4 children (8 years between 1st and last) and many car dryings, dust cloth uses when they were being done being used for diapers. So mine have last 19 years!
Country Kids 02:47 PM 08-31-2012
Thanks! That is actually really useful info! I almost wonder if a provider couldn't purchase the diapers and use them on the kids, basically providing diapers for the kids I have in care and still get a lot of use out of them? Do you know the average life span of a well-cared for diaper?

I could transfer the cost of the diapers, laundering and the needed replacements onto the parents of the infants/toddlers with a slightly higher rate for the ones who I provide diapers for.

Hmmm.....now I am going to have to do some serious thinking here.

Recently my DH and I have really gotten into recycling and being as eco-friendly as possible. Last year I spent $976 on garbage services just for our daycare. This year we have recycled EVERYTHING we can and have spent a total of $16 for garbage runs to the dump between BOTH my home and my daycare. Being such an avid recycler now, I kills me to throw these disposable diapers away.
Our dump is free and everytime they want to start charging us, everyone goes into an uproar. It would cost me so much to have my garbage picked up it wouldn't even be funny!

I would love to recycle more but hubs says it all gets in the way (we really don't have anywhere to put it) and he doesn't want to stop and have to do it at the dump. Especially in the winter when all it does is rain, rain, rain!
Blackcat31 03:14 PM 08-31-2012
I've had my bunch of 36 diapers go through 2 of my kids, my older child is 3 now, if that helps any!

Anyway, why not look into using a cloth diaper service? You pay a fee, they deliver freshly laundered cloth diapers to your door, come pick them up, launder them (in industrial, sanitizing washers), and give you clean ones.
We don't have a cloth diaper service in my area. We did once, about 20 years ago but the I think the gal who owned it just missed the mark since cloth diapering wasn't such a big trend back then...that was bakc when diapers were just coming out in pink and blue so everyone wanted those

Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Our dump is free and everytime they want to start charging us, everyone goes into an uproar. It would cost me so much to have my garbage picked up it wouldn't even be funny!

I would love to recycle more but hubs says it all gets in the way (we really don't have anywhere to put it) and he doesn't want to stop and have to do it at the dump. Especially in the winter when all it does is rain, rain, rain!
Our dump is NOT free here. You have to buy a ticket for $50 and each 30 gal can is worth one punch. I think the ticket has 10 punches on it. If you have anything recycleable, you can dump it for free but you have to do the sorting yourself.

In my home and in my daycare, I have 4 cans. One for paper products, one for glass, one for plastic and one for tin/metal. Any further sorting is done by the guys at the dump. So really recycling is easy peasy and good for our environment!
MarinaVanessa 03:18 PM 08-31-2012
I havn't had a chance to read the previous posts so I may repeat something that has already been said.

I only provide cloth diapering if the parents supply pocket diapers. I don't provide flat cloth diapering services. I require the pocket diaper, inserts and a wet/dry bag. I also suggest (but not require) disposable liners so it's easy to pull the liners off after the BM and then just dump in the toilet. If they don't use disposable liners then I just turn the cloth diaper over the toilet and the BM plops into the toilet.

I do not scrape, rinse or wash the cloth diapers. They just get closed up and placed in the wet/dry bag and returned to the parent at the end of the day and they wash and clean them. For me flat diapers (the kind that you fold yourself) are too flimsy, not as absorbent and harder to use. Pocket diapers are just as easy as using a disposable diaper.
MaritimeMummy 05:49 PM 08-31-2012
We don't have a cloth diaper service in my area. We did once, about 20 years ago but the I think the gal who owned it just missed the mark since cloth diapering wasn't such a big trend back then...that was bakc when diapers were just coming out in pink and blue so everyone wanted those
Okay, in that case investing in some cloth might be a good idea, BUT, you should look at washing the diapers in a laundromat, high temp industrial washer to really do a job of sanitizing them.

The thing with cloth diapers is that not only can they get build up in them from improper washing, BUT if your child has any kind of yeast in their diaper area, it lingers in the diapers even after washing. It's not uncommon for parents of babies with thrush to end up stripping their diapers about 2 or 3 times a week just to keep their baby from getting reinfected. Or, they might just strip one time and then switch to disposables while battling it. So, some things to consider.

(stripping diapers is a real headache, btw, haha)
EntropyControlSpecialist 05:52 PM 08-31-2012

That is EXACTLY true. No diaper creams, ointments, etc. that are thick/petroleum based. It will make the fleece (liner/pocket diaper/AIO) or the actual diaper repel water. That is the OPPOSITE of what you want it to do!
If there is a big, old rash then layer on the cream and put that kid in a disposable diaper for a short period of time.

Mom could even use cheapy washcloths as liners if she wanted to. Fleece just lets the moisture travel THROUGH it and into the diaper making it more "disposable diaper" like. The moisture isn't right next to child's skin.

Toddler/Preschooler stink is horrendous. I use the cheapest cloth diapers (trifolded prefolds in a Thirsties cover) for my Preschoolers and save the good stuff for my own family. I just put in a small amount of bleach with my prefolds to help knock out the ammonia.
MaritimeMummy 05:54 PM 08-31-2012
One thing everyone should consider when dealing with cloth diapers and the "disposable liners" is that they are not as disposable as one would think. For example, I am not on a sewer system. I have my own septic tank. I am not supposed to flush disposable liners down my toilet because it can clog the lines.

Some municipalities around here on sewer systems do not want residents flushing anything but toilet paper down the toilet.

It just doesn't break down as easily as one would think. If you are in an area where it's frowned upon to flush tampons down the toilet...think twice about flushing liners.
EntropyControlSpecialist 05:57 PM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Never bleach.

But, I use mostly pre-folds with covers. It's the easiest system. They are just thick but ordinary prefolds.
The parents wash them in their own detergent, some wash them in special detergent. (Rockin Johnny or something) They dry them like they would towels. But, we don't use a diaper cream.

They strip them in Dawn dishwasher detergent (if needed) and very hot water.

Other than that, it's just a normal wash day. Nothing special at all.

One kid just recently brought over a big set of "Charlie Banana" diapers from Target, and I'll admit, I kinda love those things.
It's Rockin Green.

You can also use cheap detergent on cloth diapers as well. Sun with powdered bleach in it from the 99 cent store works quite well as do soap nuts.
EntropyControlSpecialist 05:57 PM 08-31-2012
One thing everyone should consider when dealing with cloth diapers and the "disposable liners" is that they are not as disposable as one would think. For example, I am not on a sewer system. I have my own septic tank. I am not supposed to flush disposable liners down my toilet because it can clog the lines.

Some municipalities around here on sewer systems do not want residents flushing anything but toilet paper down the toilet.

It just doesn't break down as easily as one would think. If you are in an area where it's frowned upon to flush tampons down the toilet...think twice about flushing liners.
I don't flush ANYTHING but toilet paper anyways. Not even the flushable wipes. I just throw everything away.
Countrygal 04:51 AM 09-01-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I just send them home.

Suggest that mom look into either a)flushable liners or b) go to fabric store, buy fleece, cut into liner-shaped pieces, line each diaper with them. Then you just take the fleece liner and more of the poo drops off because it doesn't stick very well to fleece. Easy peasy.
Having used cloth diapers for most of my kids and for gs, I like the suggestion of fleece liners. But I would just sent them home. As for the Unflushability of liners, I never used them for this reason - but if I did, I would treat them just like disposable diapers - wrap each in a plastic bag and dispose of. They are much more environmentally friendly.

I LOVED cloth diapers! Does anyone know how long a diaper takes to break down in the dumps and how many are put in the dumps each day???? They are some obscene figures!!! I tell all of my parents I actually PREFER cloth diapers!

As to the RASH - it is almost guaranteed to be from 1) a fabric softener or 2) washing machine detergent. Cheap detergents ALWAYS left a rash on my kids. With one of them I had to buy a scent-free detergent. The rash, I'd bet my "bottom" dollar (pun intended ) is from one of the above - or possibly a rinse agent if they use one. Suggest they try Dreft or Ivory and cut back on the amount of detergent, add a small amount of bleach to disinfect OR use very hot water in the wash cycle, and no fabric softener at ALL.

Hope this helps! If you want my references - I started using cloth diapers in 1978 and used them through 2010.
MaritimeMummy 05:18 AM 09-01-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:

As to the RASH - it is almost guaranteed to be from 1) a fabric softener or 2) washing machine detergent.
Children can also be allergic to the type of fabric. I know plenty of chlidren who can't use microfleece, which is what the majority of pocket diapers are, by default, made from.

Originally Posted by Countrygal:
Suggest they try Dreft or Ivory and cut back on the amount of detergent, add a small amount of bleach to disinfect OR use very hot water in the wash cycle, and no fabric softener at ALL.

NO NO NO NO!! I am sorry Countrygal but Dreft and Ivory are some of the WORST detergents to use with cloth diapers. These are two of the most notorious detergents for causing build up, mainly because everyone just assumes it's okay for cloth diapers if it's okay for clothes.

NOT true. Laundering cloth diapers and laundering baby clothing are worlds apart.

You'll notice from this very comprehensive detergent chart that those two detergents actually do contain fabric softeners already in them, which is what you had (correctly) said you should never use. :-)

You NEVER use bleach. consider all those harsh chemicals that then sit next to baby's bum...sort of defeats one of the purposes of using cloth, since disposables are made of so many different chemicals. I cloth diaper, and personally, given the choice between a pure, cloth diaper washed in Ivory Snow and bleach, or a chemically developed disposable diaper...I'd choose the disposable diaper every time.

http://pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm
Angelsj 05:25 AM 09-01-2012
A rash that will not go away is likely to be a yeast infection. I would mention that to mom and ask her about it. The diapers should probably be stripped, and you can safely use a probiotic powder from inside capsules directly on the bottom (just open and sprinkle lightly)
MaritimeMummy 05:53 AM 09-01-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
A rash that will not go away is likely to be a yeast infection. I would mention that to mom and ask her about it. The diapers should probably be stripped, and you can safely use a probiotic powder from inside capsules directly on the bottom (just open and sprinkle lightly)

Yep, yeast latches on to those diapers and won't let go.

Another safe thing to use is a calendula oil, a drop or two, in the wash when dealing with yeast. For maintenance, a drop or two of tea tree oil for disinfection. Not every wash. Maybe once every 2 weeks or so.
Countrygal 06:07 AM 09-01-2012
Hmmmm, I stand corrected. Maritime is right about Ivory Snow and Dreft. In my days those were the only choices I had.... I apologize for giving poor information. While these two remain better than some, they are definitely NOT the best on the market in this day and age!!! And I guess I would disagree that they are the WORST, but they certainly don't have the properties I would look for if I was buying detergent now......
Children can also be allergic to the type of fabric. I know plenty of chlidren who can't use microfleece, which is what the majority of pocket diapers are, by default, made from.

NO NO NO NO!! I am sorry Countrygal but Dreft and Ivory are some of the WORST detergents to use with cloth diapers. These are two of the most notorious detergents for causing build up, mainly because everyone just assumes it's okay for cloth diapers if it's okay for clothes.

NOT true. Laundering cloth diapers and laundering baby clothing are worlds apart.

You'll notice from this very comprehensive detergent chart that those two detergents actually do contain fabric softeners already in them, which is what you had (correctly) said you should never use. :-)

You NEVER use bleach. consider all those harsh chemicals that then sit next to baby's bum...sort of defeats one of the purposes of using cloth, since disposables are made of so many different chemicals. I cloth diaper, and personally, given the choice between a pure, cloth diaper washed in Ivory Snow and bleach, or a chemically developed disposable diaper...I'd choose the disposable diaper every time.

http://pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm
Hmmmm, very interesting reply and thanks for the info. As for the detergent - Ivory Snow was the only one I could use on one of my children that DIDN'T cause a rash..... go figure.

As to the bleach, I hesitated to mention it, but it DOES break down very rapidly, and once dried is pretty much gone. And better yet if you hang them on the line (see the thread on disinfectants). I did not use bleach all the time, but if there was an especially nasty diaper or I suspected some bacteria, I did. Some people hate the stains from unbleached diapers.

The fabric? That's interesting! I've pretty much always had cotton ones (more environmentally friendly, more absorbant). Good point. The problem could be in the TYPE of cloth diaper they are using!!! Thanks for pointing that out. But I would be much more inclined to seek out cotton diapers than to use a disposable, myself.....

Yeast infection would be a good thing to have them look for, too. It's been a while since I've had one in diapers, and that IS a very possible explanation!

I found this really neat chart on best detergents to use for cloth diapers! Hope it can help you - of course, it is only that site's opinion! http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html And to acknowledge what Maritime said - the chart rates Ivory Snow and Dreft pretty low. When I had kids there were not so many choices available. Glad there are a lot more now.... for my last one I used the homemade detergent and never had issues. I see that Trader Joe's "Cleanliness is next to Godliness POWDER (only)" is rated very high and free of almost everything! Looks like a wonderful choice if you have a TJ near!

Maritime - I used a wipe solution and made my own wipes, that might have helped my little one a lot as well. It was alcohol free and very soothing. Good suggestion! "Another safe thing to use is a calendula oil, a drop or two, in the wash, with a drop or two of tea tree oil for disinfection. Not every wash. Maybe once every 2 weeks or so."
countrymom 06:28 AM 09-01-2012
I would use a bucket and after dumping in the toilet I just threw everything in a bucket fill with laundry soap and would wash every 2 days. My kids never got bum rash from them, and I found that this is the reason they were all potty trained early too.
Unregistered 11:47 AM 09-02-2012
I used cloth diapers on my now 6 yr old and am currently using them on my ten month old.

I use bleach. I have never once wrecked a diaper nor has it ever irritated my baby's butt. I use aios, pockets, prefolds.

Keep in mind you are washing cloth that as been pooped and peed on. Many cloth "safe" detergents won't cut it. I'm not saying that none of them work but keep it in mind.

Don't be afraid of using the recommended amount of detergent. Often people hear you only need a tsp or maybe a liitle more. That's not going to get Bacteria out of your dipes and they will not get clean. I'm not saying you NEED bleach to get them clean but if you're having issues many times it is a result of dipes just not being clean. Bleach will help with that.
MaritimeMummy 05:15 PM 09-02-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Don't be afraid of using the recommended amount of detergent. Often people hear you only need a tsp or maybe a liitle more. That's not going to get Bacteria out of your dipes and they will not get clean. I'm not saying you NEED bleach to get them clean but if you're having issues many times it is a result of dipes just not being clean. Bleach will help with that.
the recommended amount of detergent is actually very very little, especially for an HE washer. I use liquid HE Allen's detergent. I put it in a hand soap dispenser. Seriously, 1 squirt does it. any more than that and I get so much build up I have to strip and strip.

As far as bleach goes...I agree that bleach is a good thing to use with getting something really clean. But with cloth diapers, I just don't want to risk using it. I don't want the elastics in the waist or legs to break down, etc. Bleach will cause that to happen. I'd rather use something oxygenated every once in a (long) while, and use lots and lots of natural, disinfecting, bleaching sunlight.
Unregistered 08:12 PM 09-02-2012
the recommended amount of detergent is actually very very little, especially for an HE washer. I use liquid HE Allen's detergent. I put it in a hand soap dispenser. Seriously, 1 squirt does it. any more than that and I get so much build up I have to strip and strip.

As far as bleach goes...I agree that bleach is a good thing to use with getting something really clean. But with cloth diapers, I just don't want to risk using it. I don't want the elastics in the waist or legs to break down, etc. Bleach will cause that to happen. I'd rather use something oxygenated every once in a (long) while, and use lots and lots of natural, disinfecting, bleaching sunlight.

Washing cloth dipes is definitely different for everyone. You have to find what works for you.
With different washers, different water types, etc it can be trial and error. Just wanted to give my experience. Bleach has worked well and has not ruined any dipes, but that may not hold true for everyone.
Reply Up