Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Offer A Discount?
newtodaycare22 10:08 AM 09-10-2012
Most of my kids are full timers except I take 1 part timer. She comes only for preschool, 3 mornings a week (but they pay for 3 full days). Today, dad asked if she could stay extra in the afternoons this week, and maybe switch a day. I told him fine to both because 1)they pay for the entire day anyway and 2)I don't have any other part timers, so I can be flexible on days in regards to having the right number of kids here.

Now,the reason for this is that mom is in the hospital. I already know that dad may need to add a day too. Normally, I charge 40 per day. Would you discount it for this situation? It's only the girls 2nd week with me but she reserved the spot all the way back in January and its a very nice couple. If you'd discount it...how much would you do it? I was thinking maybe saying 30 a day because of the situation, or 25? It'd still cover my food and shes a well behaved 4 year old who doesn't need much special attention.

Thanks for opinions.
nanglgrl 10:32 AM 09-10-2012
As caregivers our first instinct is to help unfortunately it is that same instinct that can bite us in the butt. If you give special treatment now there is a good chance they will expect special treatment later so if you decide to do anything make sure you let them know it is a one time thing and that it will end as soon as mom is released from the hospital. If I were you I would at the most give a $5 a week discount. It shows them you care but in the long run its not really a big deal in regards to your income. They haven't asked for a discount though and they know how much you charge do chances are they have money set aside for these situations.
daycare 06:07 PM 09-10-2012
I agree with the above and I would not offer one unless asked. Even then, I would still have to consider it and if I did, I would make sure to tell them that it is a one time deal.....
momofthree211614 08:36 AM 09-14-2012
Stick to normal fee. This my happen more than you think, then you are stuck with the discounted fee. And if they know someone looking for day care that fee might be quoted to a friend or family member and you will be stuck. I had that happen once.
Reply Up