Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letting Parents Know About Their Child
cmclean24 09:44 AM 04-25-2013
I have 2 kids right now, both close to a year old, that have separation issues and just cry 90-100% of the 8hr day. For my sanity, I think I need to let the parents know I can not take care of their children anymore. They disrupt everyone else with their cry or when they start crying, others start to cry or they wake up other kids from their nap, its just a domino effect. What is the best way to go about this? Thanks.
hope 10:32 AM 04-25-2013
Have you discussed this issue with the parents already? Have you asked for them to work on it with you? If so and it has still not improved than be honest. Explain that their needs exceed what you are able to offer in a home daycare environment. Maybe its best for them to hire a nanny. They are not happy and neither are you and daycare kids. When parents try to convince me to watch school age children on days off from school I tell them no bc it is not Good fit. My program is geared towards toddlers and infants so sa kids would b board and then proceed to make us all miserable.
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 04-25-2013
Originally Posted by cmclean24:
I have 2 kids right now, both close to a year old, that have separation issues and just cry 90-100% of the 8hr day. For my sanity, I think I need to let the parents know I can not take care of their children anymore. They disrupt everyone else with their cry or when they start crying, others start to cry or they wake up other kids from their nap, its just a domino effect. What is the best way to go about this? Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!

I would simply let the parents know that the non-stop crying is disruptive and causing such chaos that you are no longer willing to care for their child.

It doesn't mean that you (or them) did anything wrong, it just means that your program isn't the right fit for these children.

Some kids aren't cut out for group care and require a smaller group or one on one care and if that isn't something you offer and you have already had a reasonable period of adjustment with these kids and have seen no improvement in their behavior, it is perfectly within your rights as a provider to tell the parents that you are no longer willing to provide care for them.

There are many threads on the forum about how to write a basic termination of services letter.

Here are a few:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ination+letter
cmclean24 04:23 PM 04-25-2013
Originally Posted by hope:
Have you discussed this issue with the parents already? Have you asked for them to work on it with you? If so and it has still not improved than be honest. Explain that their needs exceed what you are able to offer in a home daycare environment. Maybe its best for them to hire a nanny. They are not happy and neither are you and daycare kids. When parents try to convince me to watch school age children on days off from school I tell them no bc it is not Good fit. My program is geared towards toddlers and infants so sa kids would b board and then proceed to make us all miserable.

Yes thanks, I have slightly mentioned it, I haven't said that their child cries for hours, I have asked them what they do at home when he/she cries and how they deal with it, but the answers they have are not something I can fulfill. For example, carrying them around, breastfeeding them and letting them cry for 30 minutes before falling asleep to nap..that just doesn't work.
I was hoping in time as the child gets a little older, as right now the 2 major problem ones are 10 months old, so I was thinking maybe by 1 they would change but for the meantime it is really interrupting everything and stressing me and all of the other children out.
cmclean24 04:27 PM 04-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Welcome to the forum!

I would simply let the parents know that the non-stop crying is disruptive and causing such chaos that you are no longer willing to care for their child.

It doesn't mean that you (or them) did anything wrong, it just means that your program isn't the right fit for these children.

Some kids aren't cut out for group care and require a smaller group or one on one care and if that isn't something you offer and you have already had a reasonable period of adjustment with these kids and have seen no improvement in their behavior, it is perfectly within your rights as a provider to tell the parents that you are no longer willing to provide care for them.

There are many threads on the forum about how to write a basic termination of services letter.

Here are a few:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ination+letter
Thank you, I am just worried about having to tell them as I wonder if I have given it a solid try and to see if I'm over exaggerating the way I feel..it's a hard situation to tell someone their child is doing this and that and to have them "terminated". I know this is very disruptive but I don't know when enough is enough and if I have for sure given it my all, or given up to quickly.
cmclean24 04:31 PM 04-25-2013
In addition to the problems I am being faced with I wanted to mention a few things and see if some of you have ideas. 2 of the children I look after are 10 months old, both cry and scream during a diaper change and they do with their parents as well. One of them falls asleep pretty good but has random crying episodes through out the day, the other will cry and scream for hours, and the parents leave her to cry for about 30 minutes before falling asleep for a nap. I cannot handle that as it makes others cry and its so loud. The parents are still breastfeeding and I have to hold a bottle in their mouth until they drink the 4 ounces, twice a day that their parents want me to get into them. They are fussy eaters and do not play with other children..I dont know what to do.
Little Star75 04:32 PM 04-25-2013

How long have you had these children for?

I once had a dcg that would always cried just as you mentioned, I termed the family since it was during the probationary period. I basically told the parents that nothing was working and was very disruptive to the other children that I can no longer care for this child. It was her first time being in a daycare setting which that was one of the reasons she would cry. I didnt think things were going to get any better so I suggested that they found another provider with less children or hire a nanny.

I would let parents know that your willing to work with them another 2 more weeks and if there isn't any changes you will need to terminate.

Good luck!
cmclean24 04:35 PM 04-25-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
How long have you had these children for?

I once had a dcg that would always cried just as you mentioned, I termed the family since it was during the probationary period. I basically told the parents that nothing was working and was very disruptive to the other children that I can no longer care for this child. It was her first time being in a daycare setting which that was one of the reasons she would cry. I didnt think things were going to get any better so I suggested that they found another provider with less children or hire a nanny.

I would let parents know that your willing to work with them another 2 more weeks and if there isn't any changes you will need to terminate.

Good luck!
Thanks, I have had one of them, twice a week for 6 weeks so far and the other one, once a week for 3 weeks. They are going to be more full time in the next couple months, this is just a wean in for them before their parents go back to work...
makap 09:03 AM 04-26-2013
Thanks, I have had one of them, twice a week for 6 weeks so far and the other one, once a week for 3 weeks. They are going to be more full time in the next couple months, this is just a wean in for them before their parents go back to work...
IMO wean ins don't work! I find it is much better to just start them full time from the beginning.

I have been doing a "wean in" for the past several weeks for dcg who will be full time starting in two weeks. I can not wait until she is full time 6 30-4 pm M-F. I know she will cry lots for the first week or two and then she will be fine!

I now take her Tuesday and Friday and regret starting it.

2 more weeks to go!
jenn 09:28 AM 04-26-2013
I think in general that it is hard to do part time with younger ones. It is easier when they are full time and you can get them on your schedule. It is hard for them to get used to you, the other kids, the noise, ...when they are only there part time. I would either ask them to start coming more consistently (set hours every day, even if it's just mornings) or just wait until they need full time care.

I do have one that started at 3 months coming to me 3 days per week, going to grandmas 2 days, and home 2 days. It was successful, but I think that was because the parents and grandma followed the same schedule at least for eating and sleeping.
KnoxMom 09:56 AM 04-26-2013
The longer they are there, the better they will do. Perhaps you can have them come more days but for shorter hours to better adjust. I believe it is best to be honest upfront; the more you wait, the more difficult it will be to explain that this has been going on. I would hope my DC Provider would let me know as soon as she was having any trouble so we could work on it and find a solution together. Remember you are part of a team raising this child and will want to be on the same page as much as possible. HTH!
Reply Up