Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare furniture
Ami 11:33 AM 10-11-2015
I am planning to buy some kids size tables, chairs and shelves. I searched online but every things looks pretty expensive. Like for 1 shelf it is $180 or higher. Did you all spent that much or is there any other place to buy good but not that expensive stuff. TIA
Second Home 11:46 AM 10-11-2015
I bought my bookshelves at target , the ones that you put together yourself . I have had them for over 6 years and they are still in great condition .

Check at ikea , they have some nice child sized tables and chairs . Also any online yard sale sites , I have been seeing lots of kid sized furniture , toy boxers and outdoor toys lately.
Ami 11:47 AM 10-11-2015
Thank you
Josiegirl 12:05 PM 10-11-2015
I bought some of mine through grants, is that a possibility?
That's how I've gotten a free-standing chalkboard/flannelboard, bookstand, water/sand table, and a nice sturdy Lakeshore shelf unit. I did most recently buy a kid-sized table and chairs, from amazon using gift cards I had earned on swagbucks. Plus I have 2 floor-to-ceiling sets of shelves that are homemade(one my dh made eons ago plus 1 a carpenter had built for us).
If you knew someone who's handy building things, maybe you could strike a deal.
People swear by Ikea but I don't live anywhere close enough to see their products in person.
Keep checking Craigslist, you never know what might appear.
Ami 12:16 PM 10-11-2015
Thank you Josiegirl. I liked the idea of making it. My neighbor is a carpenter may be he can do it for me. Also i have ikea here so will check there as well. Thank a lot for great suggestion.
midaycare 12:18 PM 10-11-2015
IKEA - it's a 3 hour drive for me, but worth it.

I don't buy "daycare furniture", I just buy what works at my home. Lots of kids sized things can be found at cheaper prices in all kinds of stores.
Preschool/daycare teacher 12:23 PM 10-11-2015
Check your local Goodwill stores also. I just got a new toddler size book shelving for my toddler toys in really nice, sturdy shape for $8. I've also gotten a lot of other really good deals there for childcare furniture and toys. And like someone else mentioned, trying online sale sites, like facebook sell groups. I get a lot of really good stuff from there for really good prices. I'm meeting someone this evening for a highchair and stroller, both like new, for only $15 which was my exact budget : ) Awhile back I got a child sized table with two nice chairs, made of metal and plastic for maybe $10. The kind of table that isn't made anymore, so it's heavy duty. I actually don't think I've had to pay new prices for any of my stuff, and I have a lot
Ami 01:10 PM 10-11-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Check your local Goodwill stores also. I just got a new toddler size book shelving for my toddler toys in really nice, sturdy shape for $8. I've also gotten a lot of other really good deals there for childcare furniture and toys. And like someone else mentioned, trying online sale sites, like facebook sell groups. I get a lot of really good stuff from there for really good prices. I'm meeting someone this evening for a highchair and stroller, both like new, for only $15 which was my exact budget : ) Awhile back I got a child sized table with two nice chairs, made of metal and plastic for maybe $10. The kind of table that isn't made anymore, so it's heavy duty. I actually don't think I've had to pay new prices for any of my stuff, and I have a lot
Wow. Where do you live, here in norther Virginia even things on craigslist are way too expensive. But thank you i will look at goodwill store and also other online yard sale.
littletots 02:24 PM 10-11-2015
Once upon a child consignment stores has used items. Thift stores or garage sale better prices. I scan CL for used daycare furniture. Sometimes a FCC, church or center closes or sells to downsizing.
CalCare 02:42 PM 10-11-2015
Our Goodwill's and thrift stores here are more than the original retail sometimes lol I always wonder where they come up with the prices. What seems to be the best is craigslist or if you can figure out who (what family childcare or centers) might be closing now and then and give you deals cause they have to get rid of stuff.
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:59 PM 10-11-2015
Originally Posted by Ami:
Wow. Where do you live, here in norther Virginia even things on craigslist are way too expensive. But thank you i will look at goodwill store and also other online yard sale.
I wasn't even thinking about the location differences I'm in Indiana. The goodwill stores around here even vary in prices though. I went to a HUGE goodwill the other day in a town next to mine and they were charging almost new prices for most of their stuff. But a smaller goodwill in another town right next to mine had really good deals. I even found a nice sturdy kitchen chair that we were needing for $3. Granted it's not in new shape, appearance wise, but if I varnished it, it would look really good. Nothing wrong in the sturdiness or usability.
Unregistered 09:23 AM 10-13-2015
I got the IKEA kid storage with bins. I would recommend getting the pine instead of the white as the white just looked cheap and dirty. The pine is great quality - actual wood instead of MDF. I really like the white bins as the kids can see the outline of their toys, but it isn't super obvious. I like all of the different sizes (the small ones are great for the little people figurines, the large ones for dress-up costumes and the medium ones for larger vehicles. Easy to put together and still looking great 3 years later! I even went back and bought some for my own kids' bedrooms. I like that that you can put the larger toys, dollhouses, etc., on them because they are right at the toddler and up eye level. I also like the flea market bins (found them at land of nod) that hold all those awkward shape toys that seem to clutter everything up. the kids can see what is inside with no issues. I agree to get furniture that YOU like as you have to look at it every day. We had wooden floors, so the pine ikea storage went great.
Unregistered 01:56 PM 10-13-2015
Craigslist!!
Reply Up