Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shingles
Unregistered 06:14 PM 09-06-2016
I went to the doctor tonight with what I thought was a spider bite. Turns out it's Shingles....in my 20s! It's on my buttocks so a place that's always covered and hands are washed after bathroom breaks. Most of the breakout is scabbed over now and not contagious anymore. Do I need to notify parents or is it ok to keep it private?
spedmommy4 06:52 PM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I went to the doctor tonight with what I thought was a spider bite. Turns out it's Shingles....in my 20s! It's on my buttocks so a place that's always covered and hands are washed after bathroom breaks. Most of the breakout is scabbed over now and not contagious anymore. Do I need to notify parents or is it ok to keep it private?
My son got it as a young teenager and I was shocked too. His pediatrician said it is uncommon but possible when you've previously had chicken pox. He advised us that school attendance was fine as long as the rash was covered. It's my understanding that, with Shingles, you can only spread chicken pox if someone touches the exposed blisters. And once scabbed over, you are no longer contagious.
Unregistered 07:03 PM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
My son got it as a young teenager and I was shocked too. His pediatrician said it is uncommon but possible when you've previously had chicken pox. He advised us that school attendance was fine as long as the rash was covered. It's my understanding that, with Shingles, you can only spread chicken pox if someone touches the exposed blisters. And once scabbed over, you are no longer contagious.
Thank you, the doctor told me that it's only contagious if I touch it and don't wash my hands. So it's easily controlled and no one will be exposed. I'm just not sure if there is a requirement or law that I have to disclose it.
spedmommy4 07:16 PM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you, the doctor told me that it's only contagious if I touch it and don't wash my hands. So it's easily controlled and no one will be exposed. I'm just not sure if there is a requirement or law that I have to disclose it.
I wouldn't know about regulations for your state. My state is really strict and they only require notification for a highly contagious outbreak with the children.
Unregistered 03:56 AM 09-07-2016
All I have to add is I'm sorry. I've had that before and it's miserable.
Meeko 01:32 PM 09-07-2016
I had it a few months ago. I'm 55 and had chicken pox as a child.

My doc told me that as it was all on my back and side, that I was fine to work as it was all covered.

Awful, painful thing....I was so miserable....so sorry for you!
Controlled Chaos 01:57 PM 09-07-2016
I'm so sorry My best friend used to own a bakery, and their busiest time was Halloween through Christmas. Like clockwork every year she would get shingles in her EYE by Thanksgiving every year. Keep it covered. I would only tell dcps in order to garner sympathy
Silly Songs 03:20 PM 09-07-2016
Inform any preggo moms. I knew someone whose husband had shingles and she miscarried. Maybe no direct cause but they ( the couple ) always thought so.
Tags:shingles
Reply Up