Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice for Crib Jumpers?
Mom2Two 09:54 AM 03-05-2019
I have an old client who wants to return now that their baby is three months old. They were great clients, and the little boy was great (after he got over his five weeks of separation anxiety when he first started).

But in the six months since they've been gone, the little boy has turned into a bit of a handful.

We nap in bedrooms, so I only really nap in cribs. The two times I've tried to nap kids who weren't in/wouldn't stay in crib ended in our stuff getting messed with.

I'd like to take these two kids, but I can't think how to deal with the crib jumping. Has anyone tried those crib covers?
Cat Herder 10:53 AM 03-05-2019
I am pretty sure they are against regulations. Once they can climb out of a crib, they should be on mats.
Indoorvoice 10:55 AM 03-05-2019
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I have an old client who wants to return now that their baby is three months old. They were great clients, and the little boy was great (after he got over his five weeks of separation anxiety when he first started).

But in the six months since they've been gone, the little boy has turned into a bit of a handful.

We nap in bedrooms, so I only really nap in cribs. The two times I've tried to nap kids who weren't in/wouldn't stay in crib ended in our stuff getting messed with.

I'd like to take these two kids, but I can't think how to deal with the crib jumping. Has anyone tried those crib covers?
In my state those crib covers are prohibited. I use sleep sacks for my crib jumpers who aren't old enough to stay on a cot, though I think that may be prohibited in some states for older kids so you may want to check.
Josiegirl 11:02 AM 03-05-2019
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
In my state those crib covers are prohibited. I use sleep sacks for my crib jumpers who aren't old enough to stay on a cot, though I think that may be prohibited in some states for older kids so you may want to check.
I have a dcg who scales her crib all the time. I've tried a mat, a cot, right now she sleeps on the couch, when she feels like sleeping. And when she doesn't, nobody gets any rest. She's extra loud, won't stay on anything and I wish to heck they made cribs deeper and with much longer rails. I've tried ignoring her, putting her back 25x, bribing, rewarding, music, soft fleecy blanket, the whole nine yards but it doesn't matter. If she's not drop-down exhausted she fights it tooth and nail. Her 5 1/2 yo sister has napped every single afternoon this week and last during school vacation. But this little darling? Hah! Three naps.
So I wish you much luck.
Pestle 11:05 AM 03-05-2019
If you can't nap this kid in a childproofed area, I don't think you can reasonably provide safe care.
Mom2Two 11:19 AM 03-05-2019
Originally Posted by Pestle:
If you can't nap this kid in a childproofed area, I don't think you can reasonably provide safe care.
It's not an issue of our bedrooms being safe--they are inspected carefully. It's a matter of touching our stuff or, as one child did, breaking stuff.

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
when she feels like sleeping. And when she doesn't, nobody gets any rest
Sounds rough. I might have to just give a trial. This child was so wonderful when they left. My whole family liked him. He was one of those two year olds that you would describe as reasonable, organized, reliable etc. Now after six months gone, he needs rehab!
Pestle 11:44 AM 03-05-2019
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
It's not an issue of our bedrooms being safe--they are inspected carefully. It's a matter of touching our stuff or, as one child did, breaking stuff.
If you are not in the room with the child and the child is not on their mat/in the crib, I don't consider that safe. But whether you are concerned about safety or about keeping your stuff from getting messed with, the situation is the same. This child can't nap in a bedroom. So either you have a different space to nap them in, where you can put them on a mat and supervise them during naptime, or you can't have this child in your daycare.
storybookending 11:50 AM 03-05-2019
Are you napping in an actual crib? Is the mattress on its lowest setting to dropped all the way to the floor? I see moms on Instagram and blogs dropping it all the way to the floor to prevent them climbing out and they claim it works. Not sure if its allowable by daycare standards as I don’t use actual cribs here.

ETA: I don’t think I would take back a family that left me once already unless it was due to something like a move and they ended up moving back.

ETA 2x: How old is this child?
hwichlaz 04:33 PM 03-05-2019
I can't have a 3 year old in a crib here unless they are dev delayed and it's the only safe option.
Mom2Two 01:27 PM 03-15-2019
In the end I didn't take this family. They were so great, and the dcb was so great...but now he jumps cribs and refuses to wear a pull-up even though he needs one.

The group I have is great--except for one new problem that has just come up in the past few days. I think I'll just stick with my current crowd and then I'll have room for the two SA kids I want to have back in the Summer.
Tags:climbing, mats, nap - multiple, supervision - active vs. passive
Reply Up