Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Require Children to be Tested for Covid?
LeslieG 09:45 AM 07-14-2020
So we have family with 5 year old twins that developed a "stuffy nose and fever" over the weekend, according to their parents. They did not come to daycare yesterday, as they still had symptoms. However, this morning their parent texted and told us their fever and stuffy noses are gone.

They are a family that is not that concerned about covid and do not limit where they go. We have other families that are quite concerned about covid and to hear of the symptoms there twins are exhibiting.

Would it be too much to require them to get tested before coming back?
Michael 09:51 AM 07-14-2020
It’s your business, and you should manage it however you feel fit. However, there are studies (mostly from Europe) showing that children are very low transmitters of Covid-19. Likewise, it takes days if not a week or more to get back the results.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/scho...udy-finds.html
Cat Herder 09:55 AM 07-14-2020
I'd require a doctors note. Stuffy nose and fever sound more like ear infection than COVID but I'd want them checked out before return. Untreated ear infection that lead to fever can also lead to hearing loss. "Well care" only right now. New recommendation from my state that I am required to follow per licensing is "Minimum of At least 3 days (72 hours) have passed since recovery defined as resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications".

Running nose, coughing +fever = test. For me.
LeslieG 10:02 AM 07-14-2020
Can I ask what state you're in?
Cat Herder 10:11 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
Can I ask what state you're in?
Georgia
Michael 10:25 AM 07-14-2020
OP: your IP shows you’re in Minnesota. Here are your state’s guidelines for daycare and COVID-19: https://mn.gov/mmb/childcare/providers/
Cat Herder 01:01 PM 07-14-2020
I came to update. I just learned something new.

A friend whose 1-year-old child has just tested positive for COVID-19 said she presented with a fever between 100.9 to 104.8 for 2 days. She had a stuffy nose. On the second day of the fever she started complaining of her belly hurting then had diarrhea. Soon after they noticed rapid breathing and took her to ER.
Blackcat31 01:17 PM 07-14-2020
ANY child with symptoms has been excluded for 14 days here.

I have NO idea if something simple can or could turn into something worse or already be COVID so I have been excluding ANY child with illness of any kind across the board with no exceptions.

Its just something I am not willing to risk since we (providers) are already accepting a big risk by just being open.

If parents don't like it or have issues with it, they can find another program. I won't mind at all.

I am in MN too
Unregistered 01:43 PM 07-14-2020
How do you word your new policy that excludes any illness whatsoever? I could use some ideas. I want to make sure I don’t miss anything.
Blackcat31 02:15 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How do you word your new policy that excludes any illness whatsoever? I could use some ideas. I want to make sure I don’t miss anything.
I sent out a memo stating "All children must be in good health in order to attend child care. ANY symptoms of illness means exclusion from care. NO exceptions to this policy during this pandemic. If you have any questions, please let me know"

I have long time families that I usually just chat with verses write everything out. It's much easier to just tell them what I want to say most times.

I exclude for runny noses, temps, cough ANYTHING out of the norm for the child.
Unregistered 05:27 PM 07-14-2020
If the child or any member of their household has any one of the following symptoms:fever, new onset of cough, worsening chronic cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, sore throat, difficulty swallowing, decrease or loss of sense of taste or smell, chills, headaches, unexplained fatigue/malaise/muscle aches, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain,pink eye (conjunctivitis), runny nose/nasal congestion without other known cause, they are unable to attend.

If child is tested and the test is negative, then they can return to care based on the usual illness policy. Example fever free a full 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medications.

If opting not to test then the symptomatic child is to remain home for 14 days from the first day of symptoms, or until 24 hours after symptoms have fully resolved, whichever is longer.
Unregistered 11:22 AM 07-15-2020
I am following the state guidelines for our families. It helps me to refer to the state guidelines (so I'm not the "bad guy" when I tell them sorry you cannot come back to care until....).

Our state guidelines:

"Isolation or self-isolation

includes people who:
Have a positive COVID-19 test.
Have symptoms of COVID-19.
Are getting ill and think they might have COVID-19. Symptoms, especially early on, may be mild and feel like a common cold. Early symptoms could include a combination of cough, body aches, fatigue, and chest tightness. Some people may not develop fever or fever may not appear until several days into the illness.
Isolation and self-isolation
Separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick.
Is for people who are already sick.

How long does it last?
If you have tested positive for COVID-19 OR if you develop symptoms of COVID-19, including early or mild symptoms (see above), you should be in isolation (stay away from others) until:
You have had no fever for at least 72 hours (that is three full days of no fever without using medicine that reduces fevers)
AND
other symptoms have improved (for example, when your cough or shortness of breath have improved)
AND
At least 10 days have passed since your symptoms first appeared"

"Quarantine and self-quarantine:

These instructions are for people who have been told to quarantine, or who are voluntarily quarantining because they have a household member or close contact that:

Has a positive COVID19 test.
Has symptoms of COVID-19 .
Is getting ill and think they might have COVID-19. Symptoms, especially early on, may be mild and feel like a common cold. Early symptoms could include a combination of cough, body aches, fatigue, and chest tightness. Some people may not develop fever or fever may not appear until several days into the illness

Quarantine and self-quarantine:
Separates people and restricts their movement if they were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick. This could include exposure to a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 or a person with the symptoms of COVID-19.

Is for people who are not sick, but who may have been exposed to someone (in close contact with someone) who is sick. This could include members of your household, co-workers, or others you spend a great deal of time with (and are within six feet of for 10 minutes or more).

How long does it last?
Stay at home or stay put in the same location for 14 days so you don’t spread the disease to healthy people. If you get sick, begin following the isolation directions."
Jo123ABC 03:22 PM 07-16-2020
I don't "require" them to get tested but if they're exhibiting any symptoms especially a fever they either stay out for 2 weeks or get tested. They can come back if the results are negative so long as they follow my "usual" illness policy. The results usually take 3 days here.
Tags:coronavirus - testing, covid-19 - policy, covid-19 - precautions, covid-19 and daycare, illness policy
Reply Up