Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:17 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Write Off Question

I am in Canada and we are getting lots of snow in my area this year. I have just signed up some new clients and one client arrives 7:30am so my husband is having to get up and clear our double driveway. We had 25cm of snow yesterday and are getting more tonight. We feel like all we do is shovel and snow blow this year!

Luckily we have my parents snowblower this year because they are out of town but its not a very good one. Can I write off the cost of a snowblower as a business expense? The only reason we would need one is for my business! I don't want a snow clearing service because they clear the snow at different times and I am not sure how reliable they are...also don't like the recurring cost.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:13 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I am in Canada and we are getting lots of snow in my area this year. I have just signed up some new clients and one client arrives 7:30am so my husband is having to get up and clear our double driveway. We had 25cm of snow yesterday and are getting more tonight. We feel like all we do is shovel and snow blow this year!

Luckily we have my parents snowblower this year because they are out of town but its not a very good one. Can I write off the cost of a snowblower as a business expense? The only reason we would need one is for my business! I don't want a snow clearing service because they clear the snow at different times and I am not sure how reliable they are...also don't like the recurring cost.
I could write that off in the US, and I really can't see a reason why Canada wouldn't allow it, too-a cleared driveway is an expectation for your childcare.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
I could write that off in the US, and I really can't see a reason why Canada wouldn't allow it, too-a cleared driveway is an expectation for your childcare.
This is what I think too just wasn't sure if it was considered a household item or a business item!

Thanks
Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 AM

I think you can partially write it off. Because you'll use it for personal reasons, as well.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:27 PM
starting daycare someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
I think you can partially write it off. Because you'll use it for personal reasons, as well.
That's the way I think it would work, unless you had a dedicated driveway for daycare parents.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:51 AM
New Daycare.com Member

I think you absolutely can- If I buy something for daycare and my kids use it after hours it's still a daycare expense. You use your driveway for business. You need to keep it clear for daycare so it's a daycare expense. Even if you use it for non daycare purposes at well.
I don't think I've ever partially claimed anything. If I buy it for business than I claim it even if it has dual purpose. If you buy a swing set for daycare and your own kids use it on the weekend, you wouldn't partially claim it right? I don't even know how you'd do the math to partially claim. They want the amount on the receipt, not a random number.

And after all that I admit I might be wrong lol.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

Yes, you can deduct the cost of a snowblower. Time/Space percentage I believe.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleduck View Post
I think you absolutely can- If I buy something for daycare and my kids use it after hours it's still a daycare expense. You use your driveway for business. You need to keep it clear for daycare so it's a daycare expense. Even if you use it for non daycare purposes at well.
I don't think I've ever partially claimed anything. If I buy it for business than I claim it even if it has dual purpose. If you buy a swing set for daycare and your own kids use it on the weekend, you wouldn't partially claim it right? I don't even know how you'd do the math to partially claim. They want the amount on the receipt, not a random number.

And after all that I admit I might be wrong lol.
I think it's the time/space %age. Same as the areas that you use for your house, unless they are dedicated daycare, you can only claim the amount of time that they are used for daycare.....

So unless it's a daycare-only driveway, and you wouldn't be using the snowblower for any other purpose, you could only claim part.

Of course, I could be wrong, too.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
I think it's the time/space %age. Same as the areas that you use for your house, unless they are dedicated daycare, you can only claim the amount of time that they are used for daycare.....

So unless it's a daycare-only driveway, and you wouldn't be using the snowblower for any other purpose, you could only claim part.

Of course, I could be wrong, too.
I also believe this would be a time/space/percentage calculation.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/how-to-ca...e-year-is-over

http://tomcopelandblog.com/when-is-a...room-exclusive
Old 02-16-2017, 10:43 AM
New Daycare.com Member

I think Tom's system is United States specific (I may be wrong).
Ariana, here's what we can deduct according to the CRA.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp.../menu-eng.html

Tags
deduction - snow shoveling, deductions, write offs