Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCK Cries When I Eat
lovemykidstoo 06:05 AM 09-12-2012
I have a little 18 month old boy that everytime I eat, he thinks he should have some and he's already eaten. If I tell him no no and go play he cries and throws a fit. He does not need to eat this much. No matter how much I give him, he's never refused food. I would like to feed them and then eat my breakfast without him standing at my feet begging.
laundrymom 06:17 AM 09-12-2012
I never eat meals in front of people who aren't eating. We all eat at the same time. I think it's bad manners, rude.
lovemykidstoo 06:20 AM 09-12-2012
I never eat with the kids because usually I'm up and down and cutting food and refilling portions or helping spoon feed some. I like to unwind when they go down for nap too and eat my lunch in private. I feel like I deserve to stand at the kitchen counter while they play and eat a 1 minute bowl of cereal. I would not do that of course if they were hungry, but I only do that AFTER they've eaten.
queenbee 06:22 AM 09-12-2012
I have a 15mo like this. She could literally out-eat my oldests right now. If she sees food she's whining and signing "eat" over and over and over.....

I keep it simple. "Go play" and guide her away. I have a baby zone where the babies stay so thankfully she doesn't get to roam freely and beg at my feet. She still stands at the gate but I've learned to ignore it. We've been doing this for about a month and this week we had no crying, whining or begging at the gate. Definite progress!

He'll get the picture. Just keep telling him what he needs to do and, if you can, guide him away from you or pick him up and place him somewhere away from you. You aren't starving him, he needs to go play and have fun with his friends
lovemykidstoo 06:25 AM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by queenbee:
I have a 15mo like this. She could literally out-eat my oldests right now. If she sees food she's whining and signing "eat" over and over and over.....

I keep it simple. "Go play" and guide her away. I have a baby zone where the babies stay so thankfully she doesn't get to roam freely and beg at my feet. She still stands at the gate but I've learned to ignore it. We've been doing this for about a month and this week we had no crying, whining or begging at the gate. Definite progress!

He'll get the picture. Just keep telling him what he needs to do and, if you can, guide him away from you or pick him up and place him somewhere away from you. You aren't starving him, he needs to go play and have fun with his friends

Thank you!!
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 09-12-2012
I eat all my meals AFTER the DCK's have eaten. After years of doing child care, I can no longer bear to eat with chomping, lip smacking, drooling table mates...

I do, however agree with Laundrymom about not eating in front of others WHEN it comes to people who are my peers or company or something like that. Eating whenever the DCK's aren't eating is a whole different ball game IMHO.

I do like Queenbee and just continue redirecting the child to go play. I NEVER eat until AFTER them so I know they are not hungry. It is a good time to teach the little ones that not everything revolves around them and that other people do and get things when they do not.

"Go play" works for me too and I will use it when necessary and when ever I want a few minutes of peace and quiet to fuel my mind and/or body.
cheerfuldom 06:28 AM 09-12-2012
He will live....just keep telling him no and to go play. he will get the picture eventually. you arent doing anything wrong by having a quick bite after the kids have eaten!
lovemykidstoo 06:34 AM 09-12-2012
Thanks Blackcat, that's what I was thinking too. I think it's rude, like you said,with adults/company, not with children. I never eat in front of someone like that unless I've offered it first or whatever, but we're talking about our job and kids. I would never be mean and not feed them first. They come first no matter what. He should be full and I believe is, but he is in the habit of getting fed no matter when.

Thanks cheerfuldum, I'll just have to be consistant with him and hopefully he'll stop. Now if I could just get the dog to stop doing it LOL!
countrymom 07:43 AM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I eat all my meals AFTER the DCK's have eaten. After years of doing child care, I can no longer bear to eat with chomping, lip smacking, drooling table mates...

I do, however agree with Laundrymom about not eating in front of others WHEN it comes to people who are my peers or company or something like that. Eating whenever the DCK's aren't eating is a whole different ball game IMHO.

I do like Queenbee and just continue redirecting the child to go play. I NEVER eat until AFTER them so I know they are not hungry. It is a good time to teach the little ones that not everything revolves around them and that other people do and get things when they do not.

"Go play" works for me too and I will use it when necessary and when ever I want a few minutes of peace and quiet to fuel my mind and/or body.
I agree too. This is like in my family too. Sometimes I feed my own kids and then go and eat my dinner. They know that they can't eat off my plate, ok I'm still working on that (they are older and always hungry) but I would never do this when other adults are around. I agree also that I love to eat my lunch by myself. I know that all the kids are fed and can play while I eat my lunch. This same situation happened yesterday. Dcg ate all her lunch and then I sent them to go and play, instead she wanted to watch me eat, I just kept redirecting her.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 07:44 AM 09-12-2012
I also do not eat with my kids. Breakfast they eat as they get here (and no, I don't refeed them as other kids come) I eat at some point. Lunch, I am busy getting playroom ready for naptime as they first start to eat. Or feeding the infant. Then refilling food as needed,cleaning up kids, changing diapers and putting down for nap! If I am lucky I get to grab and eat as I do other things. Some days I get something after they are down for nap. Some days I get nothing. But, no I do not eat with the kids.
My3cents 11:47 AM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

same for me- agree with all the above and do the same. I sometimes will join them it just depends on how the day is going. Most of the time I am too busy and eat after they are resting.
Sugar Magnolia 12:03 PM 09-12-2012
Guess I'm weird,.but I sit at one of the tables and eat with them. The mess and grossness doesn't really bother me. We make conversation. Its nice. I kinda like it.
lovemykidstoo 12:10 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Guess I'm weird,.but I sit at one of the tables and eat with them. The mess and grossness doesn't really bother me. We make conversation. Its nice. I kinda like it.

That's not weird at all. Just your preference. I do sit with them too or at minimum stand at the table and we talk. That way I can help anyone that needs help. I just didn't think I was rude for not actually putting food in my mouth at that time. That time actually is the best time for talking with them when they're all together!
Reply Up