Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fast Food
SquirrellyMama 01:47 PM 09-28-2012
I'm looking for foods for breakfast that are quick, high protein and clean. Something other than eggs and yogurt. What do you do when you only have 20 minutes to get them fed and out the door?

K
Country Kids 01:50 PM 09-28-2012
Have a break down-

We always have about 45 min. so I'm not sure for something thats fast in just 20 min. I always cook something every day for breakfast.

I do waffles/fruit
Pancakes/fruit
Yogurt/granola
French Toast/fruit

Cereal/fruit
Eggs/toast/fruit

things like that
daycare 02:02 PM 09-28-2012
I do any kind of soynut butter or peanut butter on toast or fruit
english muffin with egg and cheese

I often hard boil several eggs at a time and keep them when I need a quick meal.

cottage cheese with fresh fruit

honey, english muffin, egg, and cheese....kids love this one

if you have a trader joes, they have a high fiber high protein breakfast cereal, I forget the name...lol

I also make almond coconut pancakes and turkey sausage.

string cheese is a favorite of the kids here too...or celery peanut butter..
Lianne 02:04 PM 09-28-2012
Cream cheese on a bagel.

Toasted english muffin with a slice of cheese, wrapped in a paper towel for a minute to melt the cheese a touch.

Raisin toast spread with whatever.

Trail mix of dried cereal & fruit & nuts

Smoothies (make them just before the kids arrive). I throw handfuls of raw spinach in mine along with yogurt, fruit (frozen or just ripe), milk, orange juice if I'm not using yogurt or milk, peanut butter, etc.

Breakfast wraps using sausage, cheese, tomato & lettuce (egg, too). You can make these ahead of time and freeze them. Or, use Peanut butter & jam or banana

Muffins are a huge hit here
SquirrellyMama 02:19 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Have a break down-

We always have about 45 min. so I'm not sure for something thats fast in just 20 min. I always cook something every day for breakfast.

I do waffles/fruit
Pancakes/fruit
Yogurt/granola
French Toast/fruit

Cereal/fruit
Eggs/toast/fruit

things like that
That is what I have been doing and like you said I'm about to have a break down over it. I need to simplify on preschool days.

K
Unregistered 02:28 PM 09-28-2012
Smoothies are the best for a quick healthy breakfast! I do yogurt, fresh fruit, milk whatever sounds good. I also throw in some infant cereal for added iron, etc. I havent tried pb but that would be a great addition for more protein.
Meyou 03:11 PM 09-28-2012
I spend a couple of hours on the weekend and make muffins, loaves and pancakes for the week. It makes breakfast really simple. I make breakfast calzones too with pizza dough, scrambled egg, bacon, peppers and cheese. My kids microwave them.
daycare 03:17 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I spend a couple of hours on the weekend and make muffins, loaves and pancakes for the week. It makes breakfast really simple. I make breakfast calzones too with pizza dough, scrambled egg, bacon, peppers and cheese. My kids microwave them.
what is a breakfast calzone?? that sounds interesting.....
itlw8 04:02 PM 09-28-2012
my boys needed protien but often did not eat especailly as teens so we made personal pizzas they would zap them in the microwave and then stick in the toaster oven to crisp them up. they could then take them in the car with them if needed.
SquirrellyMama 05:58 AM 09-29-2012
A big problem I'm having in the mornings is that dck is such a slow eater because dck is not a morning person. I think I'll look into the more portable ideas because sometimes we have to take it with us on our ride to school. I'll leave the big breakfasts to no preschool days.

K
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 09-29-2012
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
A big problem I'm having in the mornings is that dck is such a slow eater because dck is not a morning person. I think I'll look into the more portable ideas because sometimes we have to take it with us on our ride to school. I'll leave the big breakfasts to no preschool days.

K
If he is so slow, why don't you have parents feed him BEFORE he arrives to you then?
clep 10:34 AM 09-29-2012
I don't do breakfast, but often serve breakfast types of foods for morning snacks. I make a quick breakfast pie ahead of time, denver sandwiches, or breakfast muffins. I get LOTS of ideas from Pinterest.
Unregistered 10:48 AM 09-29-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I spend a couple of hours on the weekend and make muffins, loaves and pancakes for the week.
This is what I was going to suggest. You can hide grated carrot and zuchini in muffins/breakfast loaves and serve them with cream cheese and a side of fruit. I think Its a fabulous idea. Also the pancakes you can use buckwheat flour, or some other kind of preferred flour to make the pancakes and grate veggies into a banana, blueberry, or strawberry pancake. You can freeze by serving just pull and warm in the oven on low until your set to actually feed the bunch. I personally am not a huge fan of microwaves due to some research I did on the subject. If you wrap in foil and freeze you can pop it into the oven when you wake up on low and be good to go when youre ready for it. Super simple. Between muffins, pancakes, french toast, and breakfast bread you could pretty much be completely ready to go all week long in a snap. This is my plan also.
queenbee 11:05 AM 09-29-2012
I keep breakfast simple and fast, and the same each week.

Monday's - Cereal, Toast w/ Fruit Spread
Tuesday's - Oatmeal, Fruit
Wednesday's - Muffins or Mini Muffins
Thursday's - Mini Pancakes/ French Toast/ Cinnamon Toast/ Waffle Sticks & Fruit
Friday's - Cereal, Toast w/ Fruit Spread

Do you have a menu you go by? I'd highly recommend it to make things easier for yourself. Also, pre-make as much foods as you can. Muffins can be made the night before and stored in a tupperware for the next day. Oatmeal can be already measured in a big bowl, measure out water and store in a bowl in the microwave. Mix and go whenever you need. Pancakes, French toast, waffle sticks - all can be made the previous night and stored in the fridge for a quick heat-up.

My kids get a 20 minute limit for breakfast. If it isn't finished, it gets thrown in the trash. This helps curb lolly-gagging at the table. My newest dcg is a dawdler but she's learning quick to finish or it gets thrown.

Good luck!
SquirrellyMama 12:24 PM 09-29-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If he is so slow, why don't you have parents feed him BEFORE he arrives to you then?
I think dck gets up and comes directly to me. I really don't mind. I just need to find easier food that is still high protein. I'm happy with the arrangement, I was at a loss for good quick food.

K
Meyou 11:59 PM 09-29-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is what I was going to suggest. You can hide grated carrot and zuchini in muffins/breakfast loaves and serve them with cream cheese and a side of fruit. I think Its a fabulous idea. Also the pancakes you can use buckwheat flour, or some other kind of preferred flour to make the pancakes and grate veggies into a banana, blueberry, or strawberry pancake. You can freeze by serving just pull and warm in the oven on low until your set to actually feed the bunch. I personally am not a huge fan of microwaves due to some research I did on the subject. If you wrap in foil and freeze you can pop it into the oven when you wake up on low and be good to go when youre ready for it. Super simple. Between muffins, pancakes, french toast, and breakfast bread you could pretty much be completely ready to go all week long in a snap. This is my plan also.
The pancakes (and french toast) can be reheated from frozen in the toaster. My kids live on them. lol I use a recipe with all ww flour and very little sugar. I normally make plain and 2 kinds with fruit since my recipe makes 36 toaster sized pancakes.
Meyou 12:05 AM 09-30-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
what is a breakfast calzone?? that sounds interesting.....
It's basically a breakfast pizza pocket. You take a ball of pizza dough and divide it into 12. Roll each piece out into a circle and place some of your mix in the middle. Fold it over and pinch the sides and bake for 20 minutes or so at 350. We eat them ALL the time but not just breakfast ones.

Fillings we've tried include:

scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese, salsa, peppers
scrambled eggs, feta, tomato, peppers and onion
leftover meatloaf with grated carrot, onion, zucchini, sauce and cheese
mixed veggies with salsa
chicken, broccoli, and cheese
pepperoni (nitrate free), veggies, pizza sauce and cheese
leftover chili, brown rice and cheese

They freeze well and reheat in the oven or microwave. I make them with leftovers all the time too. You need about 1/4-1/3 cup of mix for each one.

ETA: Here is my pizza dough recipe.

Freezer Pizza Dough

2 cups warm water (110-115 F)
2 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
4 tbsp olive oil
5-6 cups ww flour

Mix water, yeast and sugar in mixing bowl. Wait 10 minutes until yeast is foamy. Add oil and salt. Add flour gradually until a soft ball is formed and dough is no longer sticky. Knead for 3 minutes and let rise for 20 minutes to 1 hour. Punch down and shape into two balls. The dough can now be used or frozen in a ziploc baggie. Seal baggie well as dough will expand a little.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 09-30-2012
I think dck gets up and comes directly to me. I really don't mind. I just need to find easier food that is still high protein. I'm happy with the arrangement, I was at a loss for good quick food.

K
Oh ok..I gottcha now I have had kids like that before too but luckily for us here, they just go to school and eat breakfast there.

I guess every kid needs an appropriate amount of time to eat but sometimes part of our job is helping them to learn to eat faster since once they do get to school they will only have a short time to eat. I think lunches in our schools are only 20 minutes so the kids have to learn to be quick.
daycare 08:20 AM 09-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh ok..I gottcha now I have had kids like that before too but luckily for us here, they just go to school and eat breakfast there.

I guess every kid needs an appropriate amount of time to eat but sometimes part of our job is helping them to learn to eat faster since once they do get to school they will only have a short time to eat. I think lunches in our schools are only 20 minutes so the kids have to learn to be quick.
our schools also only give 20 min for lunch, so that is what I base my meal time off of. I have had a few that eat really slow and had to implement a timer for them. Once timer went off, food went off the table too. I know that might sound mean, but I had kids that were sat in front of the TV at home and would take an hour to eat a bowl of cheerios.
The timer did the trick.
Cat Herder 08:10 AM 10-01-2012
Fruit, granola and roasted nuts.

I have "to go" bags in a bowl by the door for my teens to grab on the way out the door.

Mine use them for morning snacks since we eat at 5am and lunch isn't intil 12:40. I think they'd work for breakfast, too.

This morning was a tangerine, granola thin, water bottle (only thing allowed at school, now) and a baggie of cashews.
SunshineMama 09:30 AM 10-01-2012
I'm looking for foods for breakfast that are quick, high protein and clean. Something other than eggs and yogurt. What do you do when you only have 20 minutes to get them fed and out the door?

K
I know you said no eggs, but I make breakfast sandwiches ahead of time. Take a muffin tin and spray with pam, put 1 egg in each tin and bake for 12-15 minutes. Add a slice of cheese and turkey sausage if desired and put on an english muffin. Wrap each individually and you have breakfast sandwiches for the week.

I do the same thing with turkey sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast burritos.

You can also make quinoa, egg, and cheese breakfast "muffins," ahead of time and wrap in individual containers.
My3cents 10:41 AM 10-01-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I know you said no eggs, but I make breakfast sandwiches ahead of time. Take a muffin tin and spray with pam, put 1 egg in each tin and bake for 12-15 minutes. Add a slice of cheese and turkey sausage if desired and put on an english muffin. Wrap each individually and you have breakfast sandwiches for the week.

You can also make quinoa, egg, and cheese breakfast "muffins," ahead of time and wrap in individual containers.
Quinoa-love this stuff. love Trader Joe's

Do you freeze your sandwiches?
SquirrellyMama 11:17 AM 10-01-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:

The only reason I said no eggs is because I don't like reheated eggs and most of the kids don't either. So, when I make eggs I wait until I see them pull in. The other reason is this dck is so slow at eating. There is no way a breakfast sandwich would make it. I had 10 minutes to get dck to eat this morning. I made raisin toast w/pb, grapes, sausage and milk. The toast had to be finished on the way to school.

I love breakfast sandwiches but I prefer them fresh. I have lots of breakfast recipes which are many of the one shared in this thread but I need something so quick and easy to eat for this dck. Most of the time it must be portable also. I think toast, english muffins with cream cheese, etc... will have to do so dck can eat before school. I might try some type of mini quiche since those are quick and portable and high in protein.

I'm leaving eggs and other fun stuff for Wednesdays when there is no school.

K
Tags:fast food
Reply Up