Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Grrrrr...Few Issues I Need to Vent About
Unregistered 07:43 PM 02-05-2015
Here's my issues -
I hate to be a nit-picker!
1-DCD drops off 2 kids in the am. Their contracted time is 730 but they are never on time - usually 8 or after. I serve breakfast at 7:30. I have told this family multiples times that if they want to eat breakfast they need to be here at 730. We are finished and on to other things. More often than not he says - sorry, just plucked them out of bed and they haven't eaten. Or he will run out and 20 minutes later the dkg will tell me they didn't. I have talked with him and mom. Still continues to happen. Of course I'm going to feed them. Which is why it continues to happen.
2- DCD brings 2 yo without changing her out of overnight diaper. It's disgusting! It's not always on my radar to check diapers on arrival so she occasionally has already wet through. I asked DCM to see to it she is changed. She thought it was funny how forgetful her husband is. What!?
3- PM snack is around 330pm when my school agers arrive. (We all sit together for meals and snacks) I have a family who picks up at 3 as soon as nap ends. Lately she has been asking me to send a snack to go. I have a few times but feel like it's getting a little ridiculous. She should have a snack in her car knowing the kids are missing snack time here? I shouldn't have to pack to go bags for them.
Thanks for the vent. Appreciate the advice.
Controlled Chaos 08:26 PM 02-05-2015
With this many issues, I might type up a letter for all parents reminding them of rules and policies. Then you need to enforce them.

"DCD children need to be changed when they wake up in the morning. LO needs to a arrive in a clean diaper." Check when they arrive for a while and if LO is wet, make dcd change the child.

You will have to be super strict and diligent about enforcing policies for a while, but once you get the parents re trained it will get better.
Leigh 08:53 PM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
With this many issues, I might type up a letter for all parents reminding them of rules and policies. Then you need to enforce them.

"DCD children need to be changed when they wake up in the morning. LO needs to a arrive in a clean diaper." Check when they arrive for a while and if LO is wet, make dcd change the child.

You will have to be super strict and diligent about enforcing policies for a while, but once you get the parents re trained it will get better.

As far as the snacks to go...maybe put a scoop of ice cream into a ziploc for them? All you need to do there is to say no, I don't have snack ready yet. You'll have to stop and get them something or bring a snack from home.
Unregistered 10:55 PM 02-05-2015
If you are on the food program a to go snack does not count.
racemom 05:22 AM 02-06-2015
I would send a note/email/text or hang up a notice letting all parents know your meal/snack schedule and that food will not be given at other times. Let them know it is too disruptive to your day to have to feed outside of scheduled times. Also that all children must be changed and ready for the day when they arrive. If dcd shows up after the notice with any of the above not done you will have to turn them away until he gets it! If dcm asks for snack to go, say sorry snack is at 330 and nothing more!
racemom 05:36 AM 02-06-2015
Double post.
Kimskiddos 05:47 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by racemom:
I would send a note/email/text or hang up a notice letting all parents know your meal/snack schedule and that food will not be given at other times. Let them know it is too disruptive to your day to have to feed outside of scheduled times. Also that all children must be changed and ready for the day when they arrive. If dcd shows up after the notice with any of the above not done you will have to turn them away until he gets it! If dcm asks for snack to go, say sorry snack is at 330 and nothing more!

If you want these things to stop, you will have to put your foot down and make it stop.
jenboo 07:36 AM 02-06-2015
These are all pretty easy fixes. Just put your foot down.
Ask dcd at drop off if the children are. If he says no, then tell him they cannot be accepted into care until they have eaten and close the door.
Check dcg's diaper at drop off. If it's full, tell DCD that he needs to go change her diaper before he can drop her off for the day and then close the door.
Tell DCM that snack is served at 3 at your tables. Either dcg needs to sit with everyone and eat snack or DCM needs to pack dcg a snack for the ride home.
Shell 07:59 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Ask dcd at drop off if the children are. If he says no, then tell him they cannot be accepted into care until they have eaten and close the door.
Check dcg's diaper at drop off. If it's full, tell DCD that he needs to go change her diaper before he can drop her off for the day and then close the door.
Tell DCM that snack is served at 3 at your tables. Either dcg needs to sit with everyone and eat snack or DCM needs to pack dcg a snack for the ride home.
these aren't your problems. These parents need to get it together and stop taking advantage of your kindness. The only way it will stop is if you refuse to give breakfast and make them wait until snack time, make the parents change the soaked diaper, and tell the last family no snacks on the go.
It's hard, but you can do it!
daycarediva 09:18 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Yup.

Also, dcd is not forgetful, that is just lazy parenting and NOT something I would put up with. Dropping off dirty, unfed children to you is disrespectful to not only you, but his children.
Unregistered 09:35 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
these aren't your problems. These parents need to get it together and stop taking advantage of your kindness. The only way it will stop is if you refuse to give breakfast and make them wait until snack time, make the parents change the soaked diaper, and tell the last family no snacks on the go.
It's hard, but you can do it!
I had a parent do the snack thing before. Just say no, it's not ready and she needs to at Daycare to have it, sorry *smile* She would also call to say she was running late and ask if she could have snack with us. Then show up right when they sit down... last time she asked I set a pickup time and told her it was so dcg could finish. She understood, finally.
Unregistered 09:36 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Yup.

Also, dcd is not forgetful, that is just lazy parenting and NOT something I would put up with. Dropping off dirty, unfed children to you is disrespectful to not only you, but his children.
Neglecting his parental duties.....
CraftyMom 10:48 AM 02-06-2015
I agree, enforce your rules. I wouldn't feed the child who arrives after breakfast. It isn't mean. Breakfast is done. It's dad's fault not yours. Remind dad of your rule, then enforce it. Then tell dad the next time "xx was hungry all day but had to await until lunch since you did not give him breakfast. Breakfast is at xx:xx."
Tags:parents - don't cooperate, rules
Reply Up