Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is it Safe to...
Unregistered 11:19 AM 02-17-2016
Is it safe to reheat a bottle of breast milk? If baby only drinks half of a bottle is it ok to save unused portion and reheat for next feeding?
Nisaryn 11:27 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Is it safe to reheat a bottle of breast milk? If baby only drinks half of a bottle is it ok to save unused portion and reheat for next feeding?
It's probably "safe" but not recommended...
KayB 11:34 AM 02-17-2016
I know a lot of parents do it but really shouldn't. As the baby is sucking on the bottle their saliva goes back in and that is what make any bottle bad.
Blackcat31 11:35 AM 02-17-2016
Reheating Breastmilk

"One way to prevent overfeeding of your baby is to let your care provider know that it's OK for them to save and reheat a bottle that your baby has started.

There is a small body of evidence demonstrating that this is OK - really just one unpublished thesis, and the experience of the many moms who have done it. If you're not comfortable with this, then don't reheat bottles. However, in my totally biased opinion, I think it's OK to do - once. When the bottle goes around for the second time, I would say toss it. And never reheat milk that was previously frozen. Thawed breastmilk has lost many of the living immune cells that prevent contamination, and should be treated more like formula in terms of preventing bacterial growth.

Your child care provider may be reluctant to reheat a bottle - they've been trained in formula-feeding, and it's absolutely true that formula can very easily become contaminated, and it has nothing to prevent the growth of bacteria. However, breastmilk is very different - in addition to the living immune cells that actively attack bacteria, it also contains numerous anti-bacterial enzymes. In short, it's good stuff."

http://www.workandpump.com/reheat.htm
Controlled Chaos 11:56 AM 02-17-2016
Perhaps more important - does your state have licensing rule on that?
Unregistered 11:59 AM 02-17-2016
Good question I am not sure if my state has rules on it. I will see if I can find any. Thank You!
Unregistered 12:01 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
BINGO! Or whatever entity licenses you.
Play Care 12:35 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
BINGO! Or whatever entity licenses you.
This. I am not allowed to reheat a bottle after baby has had it. It's not because I'm used to formula feeding or am somehow uneducated about breast milk

A parent can't give me permission to go against regulations.

If it's a concern, have the parent send in more bottles with smaller amounts in each.
Unregistered 12:57 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This. I am not allowed to reheat a bottle after baby has had it. It's not because I'm used to formula feeding or am somehow uneducated about breast milk

A parent can't give me permission to go against regulations.

If it's a concern, have the parent send in more bottles with smaller amounts in each.
Yes, if you have parents bring prepped bottles. Or ask for an extra empty bottle to keep at your place. Warm small quantities at a time to avoid waste and stay within regulations. BM takes a very short time to warm up.
Blackcat31 12:57 PM 02-17-2016
OP, are you on a food program?

Here are their guidelines to storing and handling breast milk
(beginning on page 15) http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...ng_infants.pdf
Unregistered 01:38 PM 02-17-2016
I am on the food program. Thank you for the information blackcat
kitykids3 09:40 AM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
This is what I was going to ask. Here we aren't allowed to reheat bottles according to licensing so even if it is 'safe,' not something I'm going to do.
Reply Up