Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Swimming / Pools / Water play
PitterPatter 06:36 AM 07-07-2011
For those of u who allow it, how often do u allow the daycare kids to get suits on and play in water? Swimming to a public pool, use a kiddie pool in the yard or even just sprinklers and water play outside? Last yr I just went with the flow and didn't have a sceduled water time. We played almost daily in the kiddie pool and sprinklers. I have been noticing that some other providers have a scheduled 1 day per week. I know the centers around here have either that or NO water play of any kind so I just wanted to get an idea of what everyone else is doing.
SilverSabre25 06:42 AM 07-07-2011
kiddie pool once/week, sprinkler once/week, water table when I feel like it.
Cat Herder 06:46 AM 07-07-2011
Anytime the natives are particularly restless and need to exert some energy; weather allowing.

In winter I break out the tunnels, tents and beach balls...
MarinaVanessa 06:51 AM 07-07-2011
I don't schedule it either, I just play it by ear. I don't use kiddie pools but I do use a water table (which is just a $6 mortar mixing pan from Lowe's). I have shorts and t-shirts for all of the kids now so I change them out of their regular clothing and into these and they get wet in my clothes. When we're done playing in the water I change them back and throw my clothes in the washer/dryer at the end of the day. I just started doing that this week and it has worked out great. I've been requesting bathing suits, summer clothes and extra shoes that they can get wet in since last month and so far only 1 family has brought them. The other families still bring their kids in sweatpants, jeans or long sleeve shirts. Can I mention that it's 7am here and already 75 degrees?
sharlan 06:59 AM 07-07-2011
It's 7 here and already 80*.

I don't have a set schedule. The boys played in a mini pool yesterday that I set up on the patio. They have a water table that I fill up several times a week. It just all depends on my mood and their's.
heyhun77 06:59 AM 07-07-2011
I don't schedule it except if we go to the swimming pool because it requires me to hire someone to come with and lifejackets from the parents. I do water in the water table outside daily, dumping it out before lunch and then at the end of the day again. Now that we have some heat we're doing sprinklers nearly every day in the afternoon and sometimes in the morning. I bring out the kiddie pool and put foam blocks in there for the kids that don't like getting splashed but want to get wet.

When it's super hot like last week I require everyone to get wet in some way. I don't care if they dump water on themselves, run through the sprinkler, splash in the pool, ect.

Getting them into their swimsuits actually goes faster when we have regular water time vs once a week because they get into a routine. I have almost all boys so they use my room to get changed and the one big girl uses the bathroom and I change the little girl in another room. When we're done we do the same thing and the kids all know where their suits go and I dump out the water with enough time left outside that they get dry so we don't need towels very often.
meganlavonnesmommy 10:10 AM 07-07-2011
Water play once a week, not really scheduled tho, I just play it by ear and do it when the weather permits.

The kids love it, and I would do it more often, but its such a pain to set up and get everyone dressed, sunscreened, dried off, redressed, etc. :-)

I set up a kiddie pool, two water tables and a sprinkler. What they play with the most is spray bottles they fill with water and spray with, and empty cups filled with water that they use paint brushes with. They dip the brushes in teh water and "paint" everything in the backyard, the grill, the playhouse, the ride on toys, the outdoor toybox. BY far their favorite water activity, and its cheap!
rhymia1 10:15 AM 07-07-2011
I actually used to be a "go with the flow" provider when it came to water play. Now I try to schedule it 2x's per week. I just find that if I do something too much the kids seem to get bored with it. Nothing like getting everyone into swim suits, slathering on the sunscreen and finally getting outside only to hear "I'm booooored" "Can we go inside and play?" in less than 5 minutes

We did a waterballoon activity with the school-agers this week. They have been *begging* to do them again. Next week when we finally bust them out again, it will be fresh/new.
Meyou 10:25 AM 07-07-2011
We go to the lake 3 blocks away every morning at 10, have lunch there and come home for naps at 1pm. I break out water in the yard a couple of times a week either the sprinkler or the kiddie pool.
newtodaycare22 10:51 AM 07-07-2011
I spray them down with the hose on every hot afternoon, clothes and all (right before they leave).

We have 1 scheduled water day this month, where I'll put out the sprinkler and they must wear bathing suits.

I'm not allowed to use a kiddie pool. Everything must have a filter on it...so the little plastic ones or inflatable w/no filters are against regulations
spud912 01:46 PM 07-07-2011
It's so hot here that we don't go outside in the summer unless it is for water play. Since I want them to have a good nap, I try to keep them as active as possible in the morning. Therefore, we do the kiddie pool 2-3 times a week and another water activity 1-2 times per week (either shaving cream and a bucket of water, the water table, playing in the sprinklers, or playing with the hose). The remaining day or two we spend inside.
melskids 03:18 PM 07-07-2011
here, we can't use kiddie pools...but we can use water tables and sprinklers.

we have water play EVERYDAY, weather permitting, of course.

i dont mind the suits and sunscreen. no different then snowsuits in the winter, i suppose. i chalk it up to being part of the job.
MG&Lsmom 07:35 AM 07-08-2011
*If* I were to do water play it has to be scheduled. Only because even using a water table or sprinkler requires the presence of two CPR/1st Aid certified adults and one of those adults also needs to be a certified Lifeguard. Now I have all those credentials, except being two people

Occasionally the kids don't listen about staying away from the section of the yard I'm watering and end up all wet This happens whenever the grass is looking a bit dry.
Country Kids 08:24 AM 07-08-2011
Yesterday we had a ton of fun playing in the water tables outside! By 9:00 it was very warm (70ish). Today of course it is only 54 at the same time of day. It gets very frustrating because day to day the weather changes so much this summer. I'm freezing and really wanting to just curl up in a warm blanket and snuggle down. Sad to want to be doing this in July!
Tags:pool, swim, water play
Reply Up