Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Special Instructions For This?
cheerfuldom 07:17 PM 04-03-2013
one of my daycare kids broke their arm (at home). i guess its pretty bad with a cast from the wrist to the armpit. i have never taken care of a kid in a cast. I know you cant get it wet but we werent planning on breaking out the water play for at least another month because its still chilly here. but i am worried about napping. she sleeps in a pnp here and a twin bed at home. i have a twin bed she can sleep on here but not sure how this is going to work....I cant sit by her during nap because i have a preschooler dropped off during nap time (the bus stops right in front of my house) and I also have my own infant that nurses and has some snuggle time while the daycare kids are down. I am really worried about how all this is going to work! they are keeping this child home tomorrow but after that, its up to me to make it work. yikes....worried that this will slow down the whole group, limit activities, or be a lot of extra care for just one child. child is potty trained but now I am guessing I will have to supervise and help on the bathroom trips too.
daycarediva 04:16 AM 04-04-2013
How old is she and when did she break it? I had a dcb with the same cast, on his left arm and he was left handed, he could barely feed himself. It was a pain in the butt, poor kiddo. He also complained of pain for the first few days. I sent him home day 1.

I laid him on his nap mat and propped it up comfortably with a pillow. I won't lie, he still moved around and it did wake him up on occassion. He eventually figured out he liked it over his head best and we put a pillow above his head so he could lay it there comfortably.

Other issues are getting clothes on/off. Dcb's coat didn't fit (I had a spare one from older DS because his Mom didn't want him to go outside but we compromised on this because I can't keep everyone inside for 6 weeks!) and most of his shirts were too tight on that arm.

pretty much he required a LOT of assistance, his arm ended up having to be recasted and it was on for a total of 12 weeks and 3 were during summer/warm enough for water play and dcb had to sit out.
rmc20021 04:55 AM 04-04-2013
I have a 3 yo dcg who was a shaken baby and due to the brain damage her right arm/hand doesn't work properly.

The have now put a full arm cast on the LEFT arm from fingertips, to under the arm in order to try to encourage her to use her RIGHT arm/hand more. She also has another cast on her RIGHT arm to keep it straight at the wrist as it curves kind of claw like...so basically she has casts on both arms. One full length of the arm which she cannot bend at all, the other from fingertips to elbow, which she can bend.

It hasn't been much of a problem for me because due to her brain injury, she isn't potty trained so that hasn't changed...still in diapers, and I've always had to help her eat anyways.

It will take a little getting used to by both of you but I would't think, other than potty time, would be much of a difference.
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 04-04-2013
I have had several kids in casts here before and really it isn't that hard. Kids are pretty resilient and seem to know when it's ok and not ok to do something when casted.

I think that if there were any special instructions the parents will bring them to you and you really shouldn't have to change anything up just because of this.

The worst cast situation I ever had to deal with was a 2 yr old who broke his femur bone. He spent 8 weeks like this:
TheGoodLife 11:40 AM 04-04-2013
No advice here, sorry, but I feel so bad for those kids (especially that shaken baby- makes me get so angry at parents or caretakers that can take so much away from a poor little baby ) and I wish you luck!!!
Bookworm 03:51 PM 04-04-2013
I have a four year old withy both bones broken in her forearm (radius and ulna). There are something's we help her with, like getting her a chair. She refuses our help if there is something she can do for herself. I watch her carefully and so far she hasn't had any problems.
bgmeyers 04:04 PM 04-04-2013
I've had three kids in cast at different times.
While I was concerned the first time, it turned out to be no big deal.
I've dealt with an 18 month old and a broken leg, a 19 month old with a broken leg and a 2 year old with a broken arm.
While I was concerned about how to manage, there was no need to. They figured things out very quickly on their own.
Luckily these breaks occured with the parents and not me.
Heidi 04:59 PM 04-04-2013
My 2yo dcb just fell of gma's bed and had a cast on his right arm. He just needed a little more help with things like getting in his chair. All those independent skills like taking off his shoes and hanging up his coat went out the window for a few weeks.

He came back without it this week and looked sort of stunned when I told him to hang up his coat...lol.

He falls alot...kind of unaware of his surroundings in general. Cutie pie, but just a bit clumsy. I flinched every time he fell down with that cast on, but gma assured me that it happened at home all the time.
Reply Up