Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going Outside
SandeeAR 08:35 AM 04-19-2011
Just trying to compare what I do here. How long during the day do you take your littles outside? Most days, I have a 16 mo, 12 mo and 8 mo.

I usually go out for about an hour after morning nap, before lunch and then a couple of hours in the afternoon after nap time. Today, I'm just really tired and just don't feel like doing the outside thing this morning. With the littles, it is a lot of work, since they can't do shoes,etc. Also, only one is walking, so I spend most of the time keeping the crawlers out of things LOL.

I know they will never notice, but I still feel quilty for not going out. BTW, the 16 mo, is crying all day. Has been sick over the weekend, but no fever now.

So much time do you spend outside?
Lilbutterflie 08:50 AM 04-19-2011
I don't see anything wrong with keeping them inside for the morning! Some days you gotta do what you gotta do to stay sane.

I usually try to get them out an hour in the morn and b/w 1-2 hrs in the afternoon; but often we are doing things which keep us from going outside in the morning. The afternoon is usually a must though.
daycare 08:54 AM 04-19-2011
we would be outside all day if we could.... But my kids are older and are able to dress on thier own. If they miss one day outside, I don't think it would be a big deal. I can relate to just not wanting to have to deal with certain things if you don't have to. Do what is necessary for you to stay sane as well...
AnythingsPossible 08:56 AM 04-19-2011
With a group that young, especially non walkers, I would only do a half hour in the morning and afternoon, unless I was truly jonesing to be outside! I think that amount of time is suitable for ones that young.
I would only do more if I wanted to be out. One day a week I have 3 littles, and to be honest most of the time we don't make it out on those days. To much else going on in the day to work it in.
DCMom 09:14 AM 04-19-2011
That's the ages of my youngest three dc kids. I often take the 2-5's outside while the littles sleep in the morning; then we all go out together in the afternoon, but I wait till more toward pick up time so parents can pick up and go.

Don't feel guilty about taking a day off, sometimes you have to do what is best for YOU
DancingQueen 09:27 AM 04-19-2011
It really is hard with that age. I don't blame you one bit.

I have all walkers. 2 kids can do their own shoes and coats and 3 can not.
it is a lot of work. But the exhausted kids at nap time make it worth it.
And I love that my house stays cleaner when we're outside LOL
youretooloud 09:31 AM 04-19-2011
When the weather is good, we are in or out all day. The door is open, and the kids are free to go in or out.

But, when it's hot, we can go almost a week and never go outside at all. I hope the parents are taking the kids outside at night, because I don't.
DancingQueen 09:33 AM 04-19-2011
I wish I could let kids come in and out like that.
But I have to be with all of them at all times.
So if one it is out - we all are out.
If one has to pee - we all go in to pee..
Evansmom 06:24 PM 04-19-2011
We do one organized play time in the mornings where I lead some group games and then let them free play. The afternoon time is less formal, the back door is open and we have windows all around the back side of the house so I can see them. They're allowed to go in/out as they please. But they are 3 year olds.

With crawlers I would just do twice a day. One time being longer than the other. But for that age group, since they're not running around, I'd say it's not quite as important yet. They get a lot of exercise around the house.
Reply Up