Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can't get answers
Unregistered 08:36 AM 04-20-2009
Hi, My name is Denise. I'm a mother of two in Illinois. I am wanting to start a daycare in the home we own next door to us. Its a beautiful 3 bedroom house with 2 baths and big open living room dinning room area. I think it would be perfect for a daycare! I have plans to paint a bright colorful mural on the one large wall for the children and the house is already kid proofed and fully fire safe(husband is a fire fighter) ANYWAY... I can't seem to get a straight answer from the DCFS people on wether or not I can use the house. One lady I talk to says "Oh yea, should'nt be a problem. Sounds great!" then the next person I talk to says "No, you can't do that you must live in the home." and When asked why, they can't give me an answer. I also want to have a friend do the daycare with me. She has already been a daycare provider. DCFS says we can't do it together because you must be related and live in the home. Again when asked why, I can't get an answer. Can anyone shed some light and help me please?
Unregistered 12:38 PM 04-21-2009
I don't know the laws in Illinois, but it sounds like you wanting to open a daycare in a home you don't live in, would be like opening a new center. You may want to look into the laws for this. I'm in WA and we must live in the home to be considered a home daycare provider. A friend wanted to convert her large shop on the same lot her home was on into a daycare, and was told because it wan't her primary residence, it had to be licensed as a center. Rules were stricter, for example, fire codes were stronger.
Bridget
Unregistered 06:52 PM 04-21-2009
I'm not 100% on this, but I think in Illinois in order for centers, which I think is what you would be considered if you don't live there, fire safe would include the pull down fire alarms and a wired in smoke detector system with the closing doors and emergency flashing light thingys. I've heard it's kind of rough trying to convert an existing structure into a center because it costs a lot of money to get it up to code. That's centers, not home daycares, if you live there it's a completely different story.
cadaycare 08:27 PM 04-23-2009
Hi Denise-
I'm interested in starting an in home daycare myself. I live in CA, so I've done a lot of research for my state. I do think the others are correct in saying that because you don't live in the house, your daycare would be considered a daycare center. As far as your friend working with you, I don't know why that would be a problem. It seems ridiculous that they would tell you that you must be related. You, as a daycare provider, can hire others to assist you. Your 'employees' just need to be fingerprinted. I know that in CA, any person living in the house where you provide care must be fingerprinted if they are over the age of 18. I hope this helps.
Unregistered 01:56 PM 04-26-2009
Hi Denise,
It will vary from state to state, here in Michigan you do have to live in the same house (that is if you both want to be on the license). If only your name is on the license you can hire your friend to work for you.
My daughter and I were both on our license when we opened daycare 10 years ago. We both got married last year and it caused a big mess. Because she doesn't live in my home anymore I had to reapply for a whole new license! We have the daycare in my basement and had to also have a e-egress window put in because I was no longer "grand fathered” in for the new state licensing rules pertaining to 2nd exit that took affect a few years ago. (very expense!) I wish I had know about all this before we both went on the license, we would have only put my name on the license since it is my home we were doing the daycare out of. Would have saved us a lot of headache money! Do a lot of research on your state before you make final decisions is the best advice I can give anyone wanting to open a home daycare. About the daycare center idea, here in Michigan you have to be zoned for that as well.
Hope this helps.
Reply Up