Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Really Hate Part Timers....
cheerfuldom 11:06 AM 10-06-2011
I took one about 7 months ago and another about 3 months ago because it is SOOOO hard to find new families right now. My husband was really putting on the pressure for me to make a certain amount of money. Both of the part timers are generally nice little kids but neither have any structure at home. They are both challenging for nap times (not awful but definitely not easy) and struggle with the "hold me" stage. They don't like the gated off or off limits boundaries and don't like seeing me busy with other kids besides them. Neither has any patience in the booster seats for meals and snacks unless they are physically eating at that very second. Basically, they call the shots at home. I don't feel that any of this will ever be completely resolved because I am fighting against what they get at home the rest of the week. I am advertising for a full timer (again) in hopes to let both these part timers go. I will be honest in saying that I am starting to really hate my job (especially the days they are both here) because it is so much work to keep everything running with two extra kids that don't go easily with the program. I am almost to the point where I will give notice whether my husband likes it or not. There are no huge issues with either family (some small stuff) but its still not really working. I guess this is a vent. But also, do you think it is okay to advertise for an opening knowing that I have to term a current somebody in order to take a new somebody?
Blackcat31 11:10 AM 10-06-2011
Absolutely! It is fine to advertise when you don't really have openings! Keeps your name out there and builds a wait list too.

As far as your part timers, how often and how long do they attend?
Cat Herder 11:19 AM 10-06-2011
I am sorry, Cheer.
cheerfuldom 11:20 AM 10-06-2011
one attends two days a week (the same days every week) the other is really random, two to four days a week but the actual days vary and sometimes, the times during the day varies. mom pays for the whole day no matter what and I thought that would make the situation worthwhile but it doesn't. i would rather take less pay for a kid that was here all day if the kid was happy (which this part timer is not).
daycare 11:26 AM 10-06-2011
I understand the need to make a certain amoun of money, but don't risk your happiness doing it. Your husband should understand that you have to make yourself happy first, otherwise there is no way taht you could make others happy. It's just like saying you can't love others if you do'nt love yourself. (sorry for all the typos, I broke the backspace button on my keybard)

I think you need to make the decision that is best for you. After all, what effects you, effects everyone in your family.

I would tell my husabdn, with nice words of course. If you want me to make x amojnut of dollars every month, then you come and work the days that X and X are here. Because they are making my life miserable....
cheerfuldom 11:35 AM 10-06-2011
i know, i know. I should do that, daycare. I have a horrible habit of pushing myself to far and he has a horrible habit of letting me do that.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
one attends two days a week (the same days every week) the other is really random, two to four days a week but the actual days vary and sometimes, the times during the day varies. mom pays for the whole day no matter what and I thought that would make the situation worthwhile but it doesn't. i would rather take less pay for a kid that was here all day if the kid was happy (which this part timer is not).
I was wondering about attendance because I changed my policy to do a 3 day a week minimum and it is funny how 3 days can make a big difference over just coming 1 or 2 days.

If the kids aren't adjusting or just plain old running you crazy because of the sporatic attendance, I would seriously consider asking the parents to work with you on consistent attendance and/or routines at home. If that doesn't work, I would consider terming just for the sanity. Don't let a couple kids sour you to a job that you normally love. That would be in my top 10 list of rules to follow for newbies. One bad apple CAN ruin the whole bushel!

I had a kid a few years back that drove me insane and I never really recognized that it was him. I thought I was going through a phase of provider burn out. But he was gone for a few weeks and OMG, I couldn't believe how the dynamics of the group changed and how I didn't dread going to work every day. I actually found the love again and the reasons why I did this in the first place. I ended up terming him and have never felt bad about it for one second.

Sometimes no amount of money can solve your problems. (OT, but I thought about that last night when I heard Steve Jobs died. Worth an estimated 7 BILLION $$$$$'s and still.....)
cheerfuldom 12:07 PM 10-06-2011
thanks daycare. I'm actually not a newbie. I did take part timers well aware of the risks but hoping for the best. Like I said, its okay, just not great. I hope to find a full timer soon but it is crazy what people are offering for rates around here. As much as $60 a week less plus sibling and other discounts which I do not offer.
daycare 12:18 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
thanks daycare. I'm actually not a newbie. I did take part timers well aware of the risks but hoping for the best. Like I said, its okay, just not great. I hope to find a full timer soon but it is crazy what people are offering for rates around here. As much as $60 a week less plus sibling and other discounts which I do not offer.
Oh my wow... I hear yeah, sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
I know exactly how you feel about the part timers. In the past I have had some that just did not wrok out and I let them go. But I do have a few that do very well with being part time. The good part timers are out there, you just have to be willing to risk a headache to find them again...lol Or something like that...
momma2girls 12:59 PM 10-06-2011
I used to have many partimers. One girl was one day/week, another 2 were 2 days and the 3rd, 3 days per week. Then I had another 2 children that were in preschool 3 days per week, but opposite times- OMG!! Thinking back on that I don't know how I did it. I didn't get paid near enough either for them!!! I maybe made $250.00 a week and that was it, for all of that!!
Tags:part time care
Reply Up