Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting My Family Sick
pigletsmommy 07:45 PM 06-25-2010
Wow...It seems like every time I come in here someone else is going through something similar. I was reading someone else's thread about not being able to reach parents for sick children and was surprised by the debate. But then again... NOT surprised.

I'm so frustrated this week and have decided that in 6 months I am cutting myself down to just 2 children. Just the 2 with parents I know I can count on to be honest with me. My husband just started a new job and right now it is part time. If it goes full time (benefits) then I will cut kids out sooner.

To start it off this is a bad week for me anyway. It is the anniversary of my brother's death and his birth day.

I posted a few months ago about a dcg who was sent to my home with "teething" diarrhea. A few hours later she was covered in it. So was my carpeting and another baby that she was playing next to. This was not teething kind of diarrhea, as I ended up with it a few days later (and I'm not teething).

Well here comes this week. Same dcg. Monday she got up from her nap & has diarrhea. When mom picks her up she says something along the lines, "Well she did throw up last night but seemed fine after". Thank you very much.

Tuesday my 19 month old daughter threw up. She did not have any other problems after that, but she would not eat for the rest of the day.

Wednesday I woke up at 6 AM with nausea. By 7am I was praying to the porcelian Gods. At 7:30 my 1st parent arrives (one of the ones I will be keeping) but she had to knock on the door for a good 5-10 minutes before I could finish vomiting to open the door. I turned her away immediately. I texted the rest of my parents and told them not to come. My husband called me at 8:00 from work telling me he was not feeling well. He was later sent home from work, but physically could not leave because he needed to be close to a bathroom.

My husband & I both ended up in the ER by 6pm for dehydration. We spent 4 hours laying in seperate hospital beds before we could be released.

My mother ended up sick on Thursday from being around us earlier in the week. She had to miss 2 days of work.

I just don't think I am cut out for this. I am usually a very healthy person. I had to close down a few times last winter because strep and flu was brought in here and my daughter was sick. I do not have paid sick days. It is not fair for parents to bring sick children into my home...and not pay me when I get sick from their kids.

Sorry for the long post. I'm so very frustrated with this business. I am approaching my 1 year anniversary in childcare and I'm just not sure the positives outweigh the negatives.
professionalmom 07:57 PM 06-25-2010
First, about the anniversary of your brother's death, I am so very sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

We have all been there - getting sick from daycare kids. Why is that baby having so much diarrhea? It seems like it's going on way too much with that poor little one. Has (s)he been to the doctor?

Sadly there are parents (not all of them) that are clueless when it comes to understanding childhood illnesses and contagions. Some just brush it off as a one time thing ("She just had a bad reaction to a new food"). I think most parents would consult a medical professional about that much diarrhea. What has the mom said? Why isn't she more concerned?

Trust me, when you have honest parents who respect you, this is a great profession. But it does take awhile to find them. Why? Because if they have a different provider, the provider will not let them go. The bad ones do the daycare hop and make their rounds and sadly, the newbies to this profession are fresh meat to the daycare hoppers.

I hope you feel better soon. Prayers, prayers, prayers coming your way.
pigletsmommy 08:19 PM 06-25-2010
Thank you. It never does get easier. I just learn to breath to get thru the week.

As for the dcg... well I don't know. She is almost 20 months. Actually she & my daughter are 3 days apart. She has always had loose stools. Quite often actually. Mom has always passed it off as teething or meds from ear infection or something she ate. I'm trying to find a nice way to say this but, I guess I just have to be straight forward. She is extremely heavy for her age. She and my daughter are about he same height (maybe 1/4" difference) but she has consistantly been 10 lbs heavier since I started watching her at 10 months old. She is actually about 34-36 lbs now. At her 12 month check up time, I tried to approach mom about the weigh issue but she said her doctor did not think it was an issue. So I dropped it. Personally I think there is something going on with her digestive system. She is ALWAYS hungry and her stools are very loose compared to my own childs.

I know not to compare children. I do not judge this baby. She is adorable, sweet, loving, and very smart. But I do know my own child's, um, digestive habits and since they are the same age... it should be somewhat similar. I have this dcg 4 days a week and I would say 2 out of 4 days I am dealing with some kind of loose diapers.

Honestly, I am just frustrated with the parents. I feel like they take advantage of me. I just hope my husbands job goes full time soon so I can cut back on the kids at home. Then they can hop and take advantage somewhere else.
professionalmom 08:43 PM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by pigletsmommy:
She is almost 20 months. She is actually about 34-36 lbs now.
Ok, check out this site: http://pediatrics.about.com/library/...girlsbirth.htm. It's a girls' weight chart. This little girl is WAY off the chart. My DD will be 2 next month and she's only 22 lbs. I don't like to compare either, but this is beyond a simple comparison, IMO. Has she been tested for diabetes? As for the loose bowels, she might have irritable bowel syndrome. I have had that issue. But if I have some frosted shredded mini wheat's in the morning, I have firmer stools. I know, way too much info. But, maybe a little extra fiber could firm up her stools. My DD almost always has ... well, I call them turds - certainly not loose very often. If DD has loose stools, it's because she's sick, on meds, or had something that caused it, like juice that was not diluted.

I think the mom isn't giving you the whole story. After all, this chart shows her weight as very high. I can't imagine her doctor would not be concerned. Ask the mom for documentation from her pediatrician stating that DCG's height and weight are healthy and not a concern.
safechner 08:46 PM 06-25-2010
Diarrhea is the possibility of dehydration from loss of body fluids that she may have. I would take her to the doctor about it and get a treatment for her daughter.

Also, I would recommend to feeding her carrots, rice, bananas, potatoes, and applesauce can help slow down the stools. Avoid fruit juices, peas, pears, peaches, plums, prunes and apricots until the stools are back to normal, which should be within a week or so. Please let me know how's it going...

Hope it helps!
professionalmom 08:58 PM 06-25-2010
Big DITTO on the juice. I have seen many, many children that can not handle juice in full strength. I usually fill their cups 1/4 the way with juice then top off the rest of the way (3/4) water, or it will be diarrhea city around here!
pigletsmommy 09:09 PM 06-25-2010
I know the mom is aware of it. She has made several comments. But they are more like she is embarrassed than concerned.

I think it was her 15 month check up that they switched her to skim milk. So the doctor knows... but that is the extent that the pediatrician has recommended changes. As far as I know. I would think I would be the first to know if there were any dietary changes.

More than anything I'm ticked that the parents knew she was sick over the weekend and sent her to me anyway. It resulted in my daughter, husband, mother, and myself getting sick. Some of us extremely ill. On top of that it cut my paychecks in half.

I will change someone of my foods here so that maybe it will help her digestive issues. Juice is a special treat around here. My kids all get milk at meal times and water in between. So, very rarely, does this dcg ever get juice at my house. I didn't know about pears & peaches. Those are one of my staples here.
nannyde 03:25 AM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by pigletsmommy:
I know the mom is aware of it. She has made several comments. But they are more like she is embarrassed than concerned.

I think it was her 15 month check up that they switched her to skim milk. So the doctor knows... but that is the extent that the pediatrician has recommended changes. As far as I know. I would think I would be the first to know if there were any dietary changes.

More than anything I'm ticked that the parents knew she was sick over the weekend and sent her to me anyway. It resulted in my daughter, husband, mother, and myself getting sick. Some of us extremely ill. On top of that it cut my paychecks in half.

I will change someone of my foods here so that maybe it will help her digestive issues. Juice is a special treat around here. My kids all get milk at meal times and water in between. So, very rarely, does this dcg ever get juice at my house. I didn't know about pears & peaches. Those are one of my staples here.
Could it be this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prader%...Willi_syndrome
Tags:reducing spots, trust
Reply Up